Wine Kitz initial SG same 1 week later

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpreston87

Junior
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

on initial brewing day for my wine kit I had an initial SG of 1.07. Seven days later (today 7.17.16) I was going to rack to 6gal carboy but noticed I still had very consistent bubbling. I checked with hydrometer to see if it was at or below 1.01, but it read 1.07 still. I triple checked and each time the reading was the same.

recap: initial SG 1.07 (on 7/10/16)
7 days in primary fermentation with consistent bubbling
current Hydrometer reading 1.07 (on 7/17/16)

Not sure if I should go ahead a rack to secondary.
Initial thought is to give it another week, but what if it's still at 1.07?

Hi

Something is wrong here, but we have to figure it out. First, are you confident that you are reading the hydrometer correctly? How much experience do you have winemaking? Give us more info about your kit and your process. It may be that your yeast is old, but you saw consistent bubbling. Please outline your steps and look your box over and post the brand and variety of your kit plus the code on the box so someone can try to translate that into an expiration date.

I would not yet rack it if I were positive I could see continued bubbling.

I am not a kit person, so please WMT folks jump in here with better help!

Pam in cinti

1.07 is a very low gravity to start with its only been a week since you started the kit give it time. What is the temp of the must? Which kit? Are you stirring it every day? It needs stirred.

What may have happened on the initial reading was that you took it without thoroughly stirring the must and most of what was on top was the water that you added. That would give you a lower reading. Another cause for what you are seeing could be the influence of a grape or fruit pack. If one takes a reading immediately after adding a grape/fruit pack, it will be lower until the sugars in the pack make their way into the must.

In any case, I would advise going with the numbers that you are seeing now and continue the wine in your primary fermenter until the SG read around 1.010-1.020.

Also, please give us some additional information, e.g. what kit is it, which manufacturer, variety, etc.? We would then be able to help you more.

Kit is a cornucopia black cherry wine kit.

temp is 72 degrees

I bought new yeast the day i brewed.

it's possible i didn't stir before taking my initial SG.

I placed in back in my closet just before posting and it has started consistent bubbling again.

I am not familiar with the kit but I think everything will be okay. Just let it continue and go with the readings you are now getting. I suggest that the initial reading that you recorded of SG 1.070 must have been in error.

If after a week, your SG is at 1.07, IMHO, there is a problem (assuming the SG started at 1.12 or less, which is likely for that kit).

I would buy a packet of EC-1118 (or whatever yeast you started with), make a starter, and pour that into the juice.

I agree with Rocky and just continue monitoring it.It's very likely you got the wrong reading at the start. Is there a chance you added the fruit pak mistakenly to start?

Latest posts

Back