Cellar Craft CC Kenridge LE Shiraz Grenache odd instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
I am at the clearing stage of this LE kit. SG got down to .991. Lowest I have ever gotten. The wine is oddly cloudy. I added provided K Meta, more than usually provided in other kits. Now it says to add one kieselsol stir and wait 24 hours. Then add two packs of provided Chitosan and stirand wait one hour. Then add second provided pack of Chitosan.

My question is has anyone done clearing this way with all of the pauses? Since I do this step in primary bucket I hate to leave it24 Hours exposed to air. Any issue with completing the entire procedure at one time tonight.

Edit: Additionally This is the lightest color red wine I have ever done. If I didn't know any better (and I likely don't) I'd think this was strawberry wine or a Rose'.

Surely someone here is doing this LE or has come across these instructions before on a CC, Kenridge or Vineco kit.

Last edited:
I think there was a previous posting at one point asking a similar question, but I can't remember when it was at the moment. I think you would be okay just covering the primary and fitting it with an airlock while you wait to add the other pack of chitosan - if you wanted to follow the directions. Your wine will still probably have CO2 to give off and the yeast sediment is highly reductive after fermentation. I also can't think of any explicit reason why you couldn't add both packs closer in time. Seems likely the second pack is more of an insurance policy to get the wine cleared by the '8 week' deadline for bottling.

Mine is still fermenting away at the moment. It is wine is lighter in color, though darker than the one rose wine I've done before. I know they call it 'Shiraz/Grenache', but I wouldn't surprised if there is more Grenache than Shiraz in the blend. Grenache does have color issues.

Thanks S.C.
I racked back to carboy for the night and will add the Chitosan tomorrow. I think you might be right about the blend, I hope I'm not disapoited about that since we love Shiraz. I even added a couple ounces of light American oak dust in hopes of keeping a dark Shiraz color. Ill bet its pretty once it clears though.

Hi Tony ,

I started a thread about this kit .
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f84/kenridge-showcase-le-shiraz-grenache-43314/
I did followed the instruction and did the clearing in the carboy . Why would you do the clearing in you primary bucket ? The instruction says after adding kieselsol "refit solid bung securely and wait 24 hours ." After the clearing the color got darker in the carboy but in a glass it is still to lite to my liking . When I was at a tasting event the St Hallett Gamekeeper's Shiraz Grenache from Australia was on display to what to expect . After the clearing I did pickup a bottle to compare . My kit is lighter than this commercial wine . Also the commercial wine at the tasting event was really aromatic and my kit is not like that yet . I don't know how much better it will get . So far I am disappointed .
:(

Last edited:
Hi Tony ,

Why would you do the clearing in you primary bucket .
:(

Many kits suggest racking to primary to do the stirring. I use battery drill with mix stirr that would make a mess in a carboy. I wish I had addedd a dose of Opti Red im primary maybe that would have helped retain a better color. . Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Hi Tony ,
I also use the drill with a stirring attachment , but before I start I take out about one liter . After stirring I refill the carboy and fit the airlock .:b

My Tempranillo Grenache had similar directions. Add kieselsol, wait 24 hours, add two packs of chitosan, wait an hour, then add one more pack of kieselsol. I did that a few weeks ago. Over the weekend, I stabilized my Torrontes. Instructions said, add kieselsol, stir five minutes. Add chitosan. Done.

My Tempranillo Grenache had similar directions. Add kieselsol, wait 24 hours, add two packs of chitosan, wait an hour, then add one more pack of kieselsol. I did that a few weeks ago. Over the weekend, I stabilized my Torrontes. Instructions said, add kieselsol, stir five minutes. Add chitosan. Done.

Oops!
I did that same kit a couple months ago and don't remember the 24 hour wait. Checking my notes on the Tempranillo Grenache and the instructions sheet I now realize I have inadvertently begun a test to see if it is necessary to follow the explicate instructions or if it will clear well doing it the old instructions way all in one day. Below shows the clearness of the Tempranillo Grenache NOT following new instructions. It's been aging for a couple weeks and has a nice Strawberry-Red Berry early taste. As you can see it is quite clear and darker than I expect the the Shiraz Granacha will be. Must have more Tempranillo than Granache.

Temp-Gren.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back