Scottish Ale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a lot of bubbles on the side of the glass. Looks a bit like a soda. Is that how a Scottish Ale should be? How was the carb?

That's a lot of bubbles on the side of the glass. Looks a bit like a soda. Is that how a Scottish Ale should be? How was the carb?

Scottish Ale is generally a lower-carb beer. It's like Scotland's version of English Bitter, though I am sure they would not like that comparison. It's malt-forward.

This better be good Jim!

Knowing you are a man of impeccable taste, I bought a six pack. If I like it, and I think I will, I may make some.

french-broad-wee-heavy.jpg

This better be good Jim!

Knowing you are a man of impeccable taste, I bought a six pack. If I like it, and I think I will, I may make some.

I cannot vouch for that brand, having never had French Broad.

My favorite brand is Innis & Gunn. I like the Cherrywood Aged best. The Whiskey Barrel Aged is also good. Even the Original is good stuff. I don't care for wee heavy. I like a good 80 shilling. See "Shilling Categories" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Scotland

If you want a SA kit to use as a good starter, buy this:

http://www.sunsethydro.com/product-p/897542010389.htm

EVERYTHING is in the kit. Yeast, caps, bag, etc. If you buy from that supplier and your order is over $50 (2 kits, or they have other supplies like all suppliers do), shipping is free.

The Wee Heavy I tried was good, but not great.
It also may not have been the best introduction to Scottish ale.
Then again I am more of an IPA/stout guy.
Right now I am sinking 72ibu 9.9% imperial stout.
I might have to make one of these!
ImageUploadedByWine Making1428704826.445842.jpg

The Wee Heavy I tried was good, but not great.
It also may not have been the best introduction to Scottish ale.
Then again I am more of an IPA/stout guy.
Right now I am sinking 72ibu 9.9% imperial stout.
I might have to make one of these!
View attachment 21603

If you're an IPA guy, skip it. These aren't for hopheads.

If you're an IPA guy, skip it. These aren't for hopheads.

Today's beverage is 100 IBU, 8%
It is so hoppy I can't even begin to describe the hoppyness.
But that is the great thing about beer there is one out there for each of us!
ImageUploadedByWine Making1428942523.357336.jpg

Granted, I've never had a beer that sought to combine the two, but stout and high IBUs don't sound like a good combo to me. The roastiness of a stout doesn't seem like a good match to the hoppiness/bitterness of an IPA. I know some people like hops, hops, and more hops, which can cause a lupulin threshold shift, thus rendering something that would be extremely bitter to me, much less so for them.

That's the beauty of craft brew and homebrewing. There's always something new to try (or create if it isn't yet out there).

Edit: +1 to what Elmer said above. That's what I get for eating lunch before finishing a post.

Granted, I've never had a beer that sought to combine the two, but stout and high IBUs don't sound like a good combo to me. The roastiness of a stout doesn't seem like a good match to the hoppiness/bitterness of an IPA. I know some people like hops, hops, and more hops, which can cause a lupulin threshold shift, thus rendering something that would be extremely bitter to me, much less so for them.

That's the beauty of craft brew and homebrewing. There's always something new to try (or create if it isn't yet out there).

Edit: +1 to what Elmer said above. That's what I get for eating lunch before finishing a post.

Oddly enough the Imperial Stout was not as noticeably hoppy as one would think. The hop adds a layer to the roastyness. SWMBO tried it and remarked it was "chocolatey", and she is not a HOP head at all.
my personal opinion is to try as many different kinds as possible. I may not like them all, but atleast I will know what I like.

Oddly enough the Imperial Stout was not as noticeably hoppy as one would think. The hop adds a layer to the roastyness. SWMBO tried it and remarked it was "chocolatey", and she is not a HOP head at all.
my personal opinion is to try as many different kinds as possible. I may not like them all, but atleast I will know what I like.
Hoppiness is in the eyes, or tongue as it may be, of the beer holder. :b

I don't like cucumbers. People would always tell me "Try this. You can't even taste the cucumber in it." I would eat it. It would taste terrible, because it tasted like cucumber to me. As such, I avoid things with cucumbers in it. I'll try the new thing right next to it that has ingredients I know I like or haven't tried before though.

Same thing with beer. I've got a long list of styles that interest me. A 72 IBU stout is way down that list. If it was on a flight of beers, I'd try it, but I won't be buying one until I exhaust my list.

Hoppiness is in the eyes, or tongue as it may be, of the beer holder. :b

I don't like cucumbers. People would always tell me "Try this. You can't even taste the cucumber in it." I would eat it. It would taste terrible, because it tasted like cucumber to me. As such, I avoid things with cucumbers in it. I'll try the new thing right next to it that has ingredients I know I like or haven't tried before though.

Same thing with beer. I've got a long list of styles that interest me. A 72 IBU stout is way down that list. If it was on a flight of beers, I'd try it, but I won't be buying one until I exhaust my list.

That is the great thing about flights, the variety. And if you dislike it you only have 4 to 6 oz to drink.
Honestly I am only buying beer in 22 oz bottles because I need the bottles for my christmas brew. While just going out and buying 22 oz bottles seems reasonable it has afforded me an opportunity to try a different 22 oz bottle each time.
It is a fun journey.

Now to this cucumber issue?
I understand, to a degree. I have the same issue with Okra! but then again you cant make a pickle without cucumbers, so I cant imagine what you put next to your deli sandwich!

That is the great thing about flights, the variety. And if you dislike it you only have 4 to 6 oz to drink.
Honestly I am only buying beer in 22 oz bottles because I need the bottles for my christmas brew. While just going out and buying 22 oz bottles seems reasonable it has afforded me an opportunity to try a different 22 oz bottle each time.
It is a fun journey.

I understand, to a degree. I have the same issue with Okra! but then again you cant make a pickle without cucumbers, so I cant imagine what you put next to your deli sandwich!
Cucumbers are pickles that were cut down before their prime. Every cucumber wants to grow up to be a pickle, but the world is a cruel, cruel place sometimes.

The Scots are famous for having a sweet tooth - and their ale was always a lot more maltier than the beer the English brewed. I think - but I cannot swear to this - that the word "wee" in "wee heavy" has to do with the bottle the beer traditionally came in. "Wee" as in "small"

Is the Wee heavy considered not that good because the alcohol level diminishes the maltiness? I like it ok but would prefer a good stout I think. I will try a lower shilling I suppose.

Breaded and fried okra - Mmmmm! Boiled - yuck.

However, if you eat Campbell's soups, you are eating boiled okra as the thickener. And it doesn't seem to bother me there.

Two of my fav pickle brands...

http://www.bubbies.com
http://www.wicklespickles.com

Said goodbye to the last 2 of these Scottish Ales last night.

"I'll miss ye, old friend" I moaned before draining the last swallow out of my mug.

I will definitely brew this kit again, perhaps with a tweak or two, but it is very good as it comes in the box.

Back