What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will soon be home and packing up for a trip starting tomorrow to winterize our cabin up in @bkisel 's neck of the woods. Looks like a lot of rain in the forecast, river predictions say our road will be closed so will probably have to park across the creek and unload, then load everything via foot, across a foot bridge and up a steep set of stairs. Hope my arthritic knee can handle the stress. I'm sure plenty of beer and wine will eventually make it feel better, and make my head feel worse.

Towed camper then smoker into town so I can get started in the wee hours on a very adventurous smoked/BBQ meal for an amazing crew of aircraft maintainers. Maiden voyage for my homemade smoker - she'll be my competition smoker next season if all goes well. Of course lots of wine & home-brew will be offered as well so things should be looking up for me about 5:00 PM tomorrow!

13315609_509760129224622_2795023616306574635_n.jpg

Have the kids first Halloween Dance tonight! Excited. There will be a little girl witch, and a little boy Toothless (Dragon). My mother in law makes the best costumes :)

Day 4 of hernia repair recovery- feeling good. Feels like I just did 10,000 sit ups though.

Had a buddy stop over to help rack 6 gallons of Concord and Traminette and move some carboys around. Both ferments were uneventful, which is always welcomed.
The Traminette is quite fruity and high in acid, which is ok since I plan to back sweeten anyway.

Last edited:
Picked up 20 gallons each of Concord, Niagra, Fredonia, and Catawba. Also picked up 12 Seyval Blanc, 12 Vidal Blanc and 12 Tart Cherry. Not to go get sugar and bring up to 21 brix.

It is a gloomy, drizzly day here in Wellsboro, PA. Decided to take a few days break from wine making (even though I’ve got some bottle cleaning and bottling which is overdue). So I started a woodworking project that has been on my “honey do” list for at least a few months. I wanted to wait until I got my garage woodworking shop built but you know the saying that goes “Happy wife, happy life!”.
smilie.gif

A few frustrations along the way as I discovered a few more tools missing that never made it from CT to PA. Also, because my shop isn’t yet built, it is taking longer to get this project done than I would like.

Here is a pic, prior to assembly and finishing, of the entryway bench my wife wants made…

IMAG0351[1].jpg

What am I doing today....... My wine and I met with friends for our weekly Saturday breakfast get together to talk, tease, laugh and have a fun time. At home I did the weekend dusting, vacuuming and washed the floors. In the afternoon I bagged the leaves I raked up days earlier. I went for my daily walk (5 kilometers) in the evening. *********************************************************** and enjoying my second glass of a Merlot wine that is 1 year old and tastes very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
home after a week on vacation in Florida. We sampled some nice muscadine blends from Endless Crush Winery, attended the Wine and Food Festival and met a winery owner that made blueberry wines, and scored some nice bottles of Stags Leap Petit Syrah and Chardonnay.

Nice to be home and found that the Skeeter Pee had cleared, 2 more batches are done fermenting and need to go to glass and the Diamond appears to be done also. Time to use the new pump from Presque Isle winery....

Back from camping with 19 cub scouts and preparing for my son's birthday party at 3:30.

Back from a long weekend winterizing our cabin up in @bkisel 's neck of the woods. Was very soggy, so much so we had park on the rails-to-trails side of the creek on Friday afternoon. Creek receded enough to park back on our side, but in the meantime we lost electric, kind of hard to get projects done and sweepers run without the "juice". Finally did come back on last night around 9 pm so we could listen to some of the PSU game against "The" Ohio State University. Couldn't listen to the end of the game since we had to get up, close up, and I had to get home for my daughters 16th birthday celebration. Everyone carved pumpkins and the weather was beautiful.

Oh, and the Eagles "A" team defense showed up today and beat the last undefeated team, the Vikings, yea! Thinking about bed, I'm beat. Need to go to work to rest a bit.

Back from a long weekend winterizing our cabin up in @bkisel 's neck of the woods...

Ironic... This time of the year I travel about every other week to Fulton County where family (my two brothers) have a cabin and hunting property.

Ironic... This time of the year I travel about every other week to Fulton County where family (my two brothers) have a cabin and hunting property.

Both of my BIL's hunt. We don't hunt, we drink. Our family was transplanted from Corning, NY then Wellsboro to where I'm at now. Wonder if we've ever passed each other going to our cabins? Spent time in your local Weis Markets talking about the intricacies of the weather with the lady collecting the shopping carts. I think I'd fit in up there if I ever retire, it is a very nice area with really nice people (also known as folk).

Last edited:
Worked on the five board bench this morning. It is now glued, screwed and sanded. This afternoon will be bottling a 6 gallon batch of red and also gathering fireplace wood.

IMAG0362.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

Latest posts

Back