Thick Mustang

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topkeg

Reaction score
Picked 60 pounds of wild Texas Mustang (similar to Muscadine) over 4th. I did a 5 gallon batch using EC1118 that is now pressed/racked off the skins and dry already. However, I am trying a 1 gallon batch using the natural wild yeast for fermentation. Going country old school. The strange thing here is the juice (now pressed off skins) is very thick, almost slimy. It's fermenting like crazy. I have to clean out the bubbler twice a day due to blowing slime through bubbler.

Never had this happen with traditional methods. Any thoughts?::ib

Not to rain on your parade, but there are tons of different types of wild yeast out there. Some good, some bad. I don't know what you have and neither do you...but it doesn't sound good.

I have a small stash of yeasts in the fridge....several different types...all proven good...might have 7-8 bucks invested. I'm too cheap to risk good material on free yeast!

Don't dump it! it just might turn out...or turn into the best vinegar you've ever had!

In talking to my local wine guy who is familiar with it he says its a results of the 100's of wild yeast strains possible on the grapes. That it will eventually settle out, but takes time and patience!

Not only are there a lot of yeasts and other fungus out there, but also bacteria.

For example, thickening can also be the result of a mucilaginous substance from lactic bacteria. Sometimes referred to as ropey wine.

Last edited:
Picked 60 pounds of wild Texas Mustang (similar to Muscadine) over 4th. I did a 5 gallon batch using EC1118 that is now pressed/racked off the skins and dry already. However, I am trying a 1 gallon batch using the natural wild yeast for fermentation. Going country old school. The strange thing here is the juice (now pressed off skins) is very thick, almost slimy. It's fermenting like crazy. I have to clean out the bubbler twice a day due to blowing slime through bubbler.

Never had this happen with traditional methods. Any thoughts?::ib

Not sure how much 60 lbs is, but picked mine about a week or two before the 4th. Brix was low, but not sure how high the Mustangs ever get. I had almost 5 x 5 gallon buckets before destemming. I am a little north of Houston. Just pressed mine Saturday and added some malolactic bacteria as it is supposed to reduce acid as mine was quite high. Did not want to add too much calcium carbonate. Looks like I have about 15~ 18 gallons after the press, but looks like it will have a lot of lees. Very nice color and not bad for something this young from something this sour.

Let me know how yours turns out and we can trade a bottle.

SSNJOHN

Not sure how much 60 lbs is, but picked mine about a week or two before the 4th. Brix was low, but not sure how high the Mustangs ever get. I had almost 5 x 5 gallon buckets before destemming. I am a little north of Houston. Just pressed mine Saturday and added some malolactic bacteria as it is supposed to reduce acid as mine was quite high. Did not want to add too much calcium carbonate. Looks like I have about 15~ 18 gallons after the press, but looks like it will have a lot of lees. Very nice color and not bad for something this young from something this sour.

Let me know how yours turns out and we can trade a bottle.

SSNJOHN
I checked brix, I think it was about 11-14 for me which is what I've seen in past. Some areas around Houston came in early this year

Glad to see some others with apparently more experience than myself at mustang wine I hope you post more about your process. I read the slime is fairly typical. I had the same slime however this was my first time making wine and mustang wine specifically.

Latest posts

Back