Weber Performer grill....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, Varis. There will be a bit of a learning curve with charcoal, but you will be able to do everything from steak and burgers to ribs and even Thanksgiving turkey.

That is good charcoal, and a pretty good price to boot.

Note: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day bring big sales at Lowe's and HD. Twin packs of regular Kingsford like this for $9.99. I stock up Memorial Day, then replenish Labor Day to carry me through the winter. I prefer to cook on lump charcoal, but at these prices, the Kingsford is tough to pass on.

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll be checking your grilling posts to get my feet wet :)
Meanwhile YouTube is a really good friend [emoji4]

Woot woot! Very nice, Varis.

I use a mixture of lump and briquettes. What I usually do is akin to the famous Minion Method.. I spread a layer of unlit briquettes over the bottom of 1/2 of my Weber. (The bottom vent is wide open.) I then light a full chimney of coals, typically a mixture of hardwood lumps and briquettes. After that is well lit, I pour it over the unlit coals. The unlit coals provide both additional fuel AND the right amount of "negative space" for the fire to get going well.

I generally leave the lid off until that gets roaring hot. For REALLY hot stuff, you just leave the lid off. Otherwise, you can put the lid on, and adjust the vent to achieve the level of fire you want. "Wide open" = very hot, and "nearly closed" = smoke all day on low temp.

When I am done cooking my meal, I close both the top and bottom vents, and the fire will go out. The next time I grill, I throw all of that unburnt fuel into the chimney starter for the next round!

Remember he got the "turbo assist" Weber. Push button, propane tank lights charcoal..... :dg

Woot woot! Very nice, Varis.

I use a mixture of lump and briquettes. What I usually do is akin to the famous Minion Method.. I spread a layer of unlit briquettes over the bottom of 1/2 of my Weber. (The bottom vent is wide open.) I then light a full chimney of coals, typically a mixture of hardwood lumps and briquettes. After that is well lit, I pour it over the unlit coals. The unlit coals provide both additional fuel AND the right amount of "negative space" for the fire to get going well.

I generally leave the lid off until that gets roaring hot. For REALLY hot stuff, you just leave the lid off. Otherwise, you can put the lid on, and adjust the vent to achieve the level of fire you want. "Wide open" = very hot, and "nearly closed" = smoke all day on low temp.

When I am done cooking my meal, I close both the top and bottom vents, and the fire will go out. The next time I grill, I throw all of that unburnt fuel into the chimney starter for the next round!

Don't forget when you "graduate" to steaks to stop buy Walmart or similar and pick up some........

4e4d647b-ac4c-48a9-b688-c53d1f968fd7_1.1a708d60ed120c737173e1522a13306f.jpeg

That looks great with a nice work surface and everything..... I've been an avid smokey joe fan for life and started slow cooking on that one now... I have a small gas/lava-rock grill which is great for steaks and fish/etc... This makes me want a larger BBQ now....

Cheers!
-johann

I find that the Costco charcoal lasts longer than the standard stuff from Lowes/HD/etc. When I use my charcoal chimney, the standard stuff that is on the bottom of the chimney is mostly used up by the time the stuff on top gets going. With the Costco stuff, If I'm doing something quick, I can even use the leftovers as the bottom layer the next time, using the method sour_grapes described above.

Essentially I get 1 1/2 cooks from the Costco stuff (and have to feed it less on longer cooks) vs. the 1 meal I get from the standard stuff. Adding more charcoal to an already going fire is tricky to evenly spread which creates hot spots and also creates a dust storm.

I don't grill as much as I'd like, so I can usually get by grabbing a 2-pack whenever it goes on coupon.

Edit to add: Congrats! Hopefully one of those will be in my future.

Last edited:
Go to Walmart and get one of those metal oil change pans and place it under the bottom of the grill. It'll keep ash and grease off of your nice deck.

I gave up charcoal years ago just because of the hassle of lighting, the mess from ash....seemed like I was always cleaning up to get started, then cleaning it out, then dumping ash or charcoal....I was always getting freaking dirty! I've always like wood over charcoal anyway. Now I use gas grill with a little smoker box of wood chips...turn on gas, light, cook, turn gas off.

We have two BIG smokers for real Bar B Que...there is a difference between grilling and Bar B Queing. I grill. My wife does the Bar B Queing and that is fine by me!

Hamburgers...you know that Lipton Onion Soup mix...they make soup and onion dip out of it. Make a double batch of the onion dip....mix half of it in your hamburger meat and make patties. If I'm pushed for time, I just add the dry mix to the meat. We will sometimes grill up a BUNCH of burgers and make a up a crock pot full of onion soup....put the cooked burgers in the crock pot full of soup to keep warm...folks come and go and fish out a patty, make a burger and go Awww Dang that good! Freeze whats left over in some that onion soup...thaw out...make a sauce outta the soup and call it Salisbury steak! Your welcome!

It's finally here, bought yesterday in NJ and my 14-year old son assembled it for me today, now just need to get it going sometime this week... :)

Oh man I got a performer myself last week. Been cooking on it non-stop! These things kick so much ***, I love it!

I find that the Costco charcoal lasts longer than the standard stuff from Lowes/HD/etc. When I use my charcoal chimney, the standard stuff that is on the bottom of the chimney is mostly used up by the time the stuff on top gets going. With the Costco stuff, If I'm doing something quick, I can even use the leftovers as the bottom layer the next time, using the method sour_grapes described above.

Essentially I get 1 1/2 cooks from the Costco stuff (and have to feed it less on longer cooks) vs. the 1 meal I get from the standard stuff. Adding more charcoal to an already going fire is tricky to evenly spread which creates hot spots and also creates a dust storm.

I don't grill as much as I'd like, so I can usually get by grabbing a 2-pack whenever it goes on coupon.

Edit to add: Congrats! Hopefully one of those will be in my future.

That's because Costco has quality control and their product is always top notch...:db

Varis you need to do a Tri Tip like this one with the chimichurri sauce STAT!

Smoked-Tri-Tip-with-Chimichurri-Sauce-digging-in.jpg

http://www.vindulge.com/2017/07/red-wine-marinated-smoked-tri-tip-recipe-and-video/

That looks Good...!! :HB

Get some chicken legs or thighs. Use some of your favorite dry rub and let em marinate in the reefer for the day. Get your charcoal going and slap them on. Have a meat thermometer handy. Get them up to 190 degrees and the legs will still be nice and juicy and the bones will be white instead of red. If you do breasts get to 170 or so. Think you will like them. Arne.

Latest posts

Back