2017 Vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrewsbury

Reaction score
Just placed my order for some more vines.
My original plan was putting up 4 more rows of posts and planting in 2018, but after talking with the wife I decided to put up to more rows of posts and plant vines in 2017.
I placed my order for 66 more Vidal Blanc, which will give me a total of 180 in 2017.

Should be fun!

I hope you and your wife like that Vidal as you will have lots of juice to work with!!! You can start with fewer vines and use cuttings to propagate. I make about 15 gallons a year of Vidal for myself, plus a lot of other varietals.

That will be a lot of Vidal grapes for sure.

Are those 4x4 posts? Never seen them that close. You could take out 3 posts every 4 by the looks of it. The wire carries the vines between the posts, not the posts.

Here is a picture of some Leon Millot I left in the vineyard showing how much the posts will carry at 30 feet with the vines 7+ feet apart.

LMLate 008.jpg

That is a pretty sight. With 8 ft spacing, you'll not have to worry too much about tension. I'm jealous for your nice flat ground!

Back