Vineco Passport Pinot Gris arrived

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsiddall

Reaction score
My LHBS called yesterday to inform me my Passport Pinot Gris LE kit was in stock. Curious to see what's in the box for this one.

My LHBS called yesterday to inform me my Passport Pinot Gris LE kit was in stock. Curious to see what's in the box for this one.

Mine showed up today. It comes with a big bag of juice, an f-pac, two packets of EC1118, and the usual slew of stabilizers and clarifiers.

Last edited:
No notice of shipping from my LHBS located in Dallas, TX. Yeast swap for sure, add 1/2 f-pack to Primary for sure. Can't wait!

Mine showed up today. It comes with a big bag of juice, an f-pac, two packets of EC1118, and the usual slew of stabilizers and clarifiers.

Interesting, I don't recall seeing any mention of an F-pack in the descriptions. Also, two packs of EC-1118 seems like overkill given the strength of that yeast.

Any suggestions for a good yeast to swap it with?

Are you sure about your yeast? I picked mine up today and it came with one pack of 71B and one pack of EC-1118.

No mention in the instructions of two packs, which normally means you add them both. Strange though.

Edit: coincidentally, from the link sour_grapes providerd in his post, I had already purchased a pack of 71B. I started this tonight but have only added the 71B yeast pack so far. My thought is to wait until it is actively fermenting and then add the EC-1118. I can only assume that it is there to ensure fermentation doesn't stall, but I want the 71B to dominate the flavor profile. We'll see.

Last edited:
Are you sure about your yeast? I picked mine up today and it came with one pack of 71B and one pack of EC-1118.

No mention in the instructions of two packs, which normally means you add them both. Strange though.

You're correct, I double checked and I have one of each as well.

Looking through the kit ingredients, I received 4 packs of chitosan (2 large, 2 small) and 0 packs of kieselsol. Anyone else get the same?

The instructions indicate there should be at least one kieselsol and no more than 2 chitosan.

I don't think any of the packs are mis-labeled because the they all look the same, whereas I expect the kieselsol should be somewhat milky.

Update: I contacted my LHBS and they did get a batch that had the kieselsol switched for chitosan. They are providing replacement kieselsol to customers affected.

Last edited:
Looking through the kit ingredients, I received 4 packs of chitosan (2 large, 2 small) and 0 packs of kieselsol. Anyone else get the same?

The instructions indicate there should be at least one kieselsol and no more than 2 chitosan.

I don't think any of the packs are mis-labeled because the they all look the same, whereas I expect the kieselsol should be somewhat milky.

Update: I contacted my LHBS and they did get a batch that had the kieselsol switched for chitosan. They are providing replacement kieselsol to customers affected.

Mine came with two of each. Speaking of which, I no longer use any of this stuff when making my kits. If anyone is interested in a whole bunch of packets of these, let me know. I'll ship them at the cost of whatever USPS flat rate box they all fit into.

Mine came with two of each. Speaking of which, I no longer use any of this stuff when making my kits. If anyone is interested in a whole bunch of packets of these, let me know. I'll ship them at the cost of whatever USPS flat rate box they all fit into.

Can anyone who received only 2 chitosan please post the product number stamped on their packs? I now have two small and two large bags, each with their own numbers, and I am not sure which of the two they intended me to use.

Thanks!

Can anyone who received only 2 chitosan please post the product number stamped on their packs? I now have two small and two large bags, each with their own numbers, and I am not sure which of the two they intended me to use.

Thanks!

Kieselsol: 426801B.B.E.09/2016

Chitosan: 416101

Kieselsol: 426801B.B.E.09/2016

Chitosan: 416101

Thanks!

The 416101 is the bigger bag of the two sizes I got.

Since I don't quite know how long before I need the carboy back, plus I have never made a white before, I think I will follow the directions pretty closely this time. Maybe next time I will skip the fining. How long do you find you need to let the wine (white specifically) sit in the carboys to get similar clarity to fining? Or are you simply not worried about clarity?

Last edited:
Since I don't quite know how long before I need the carboy back, plus I have never made a white before, I think I will follow the directions pretty closely this time. Maybe next time I will skip the fining. How long do you find you need to let the wine (white specifically) sit in the carboys to get similar clarity to fining? Or are you simply not worried about clarity?

I usually bulk age anywhere from as little as 6, up to as long as 12 months. I have yet to skip the finings on a white, this will be my first. If it doesn't clear out to my liking I can always add them later to get it clear prior to bottling. But the reds I've done, have cleared just fine in that time.

Sounds like you need more carboys either way. :mny

Latest posts

Back