Other Passport Series 2015

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning!!

Haven't seen those here but the two Cheeky Monkey's are out!! The Nebbiolo/ Barbera should be grand!!!

I have recommended the Cheeky Monkey kit on an other tread as a good buy for a mid size kit .I went out and bought that kit too .Comes with American light oak 30 g and medium and heavy oak blend 60 g and Lalvin RC 212 yeast. I have high hopes for this kit !
About the passport series :
You should edit your title to say that this are the KenRidge showcase limited edition kits for 2015 .

New Passport Series Limited Releases!

Petit Verdot – Released for December 2014

Washington – Yakima Valley

Alc./vol: 13.5% | Body: Full | Sweetness: Dry

THE WINE

Traditionally used in Bordeaux blends to give colour and aromatics, Petit Verdot produces a bold, well structured wine on its own. Expect intense colour and aromas of vanilla, cedar and smoke, followed by ripe cherry and blackberry flavours. This full bodied wine has warm undertones of mocha, firm tannins, and a rich and robust finish.

THE REGION

Located in the southern centre of the state, just across from the Cascade Mountains, Yakima Valley is home to some of Washington’s oldest vineyards. With a balance of warm days, cool nights, and controlled water, the Yakima Valley produces fully mature fruit. The valley receives less than 150mm of rain per year so the vines rely on irrigation which growers can control, resulting in fruit with great concentration and flavour.

Brunello Style (With Grape Skins) – Released for January 2015

Italy – Montalcino

Alc./vol: 13.5% | Body: Full | Sweetness: Dry

THE WINE

An elegant wine made from Sangiovese grapes with a deep garnet hue, full body and velvety texture. Aromas of leather, cranberry, tobacco, and rich flavours of ripe cherry with a hint of earthiness define this classic Italian wine style. Smooth tannins and ripe fruit driven characteristics make this well balanced with a silky finish.

THE REGION

Located 120km south of Florence, Montalcino is one of the warmest and driest regions within Tuscany, receiving just 700mm of rain on average per year. Montalcino is a small medieval village in the Province of Siena, with the wine district centred to the northeast of the village in wooded and hilly terrain. Vineyards are planted on both the north and south facing slopes: vines on the northern slopes ripen slower, producing racier and more aromatic fruit, while the increased sun exposure on the southern slopes lends more power and complexity to the fruit. Together this yields fruit unique to the region.

Pinot Gris – Released for January 2015

Oregon – Willamette Valley

Alc./vol: 12.5% | Body: Medium | Sweetness: Off dry

THE WINE

Look for aromatics of lemon, green apple and subtle floral notes with flavours of fresh-cut pear, mango and tropical fruits. Medium body with a pale straw colour, Oregon’s Pinot Gris boasts zesty acidity balanced by a slight sweetness and lingering finish.

THE REGION

Willamette Valley is the largest wine growing region in Oregon and is surrounded by the Columbia River, the Oregon Coast Range, and the Cascade Mountains. The valley is mild year-round and has the perfect climate for this delicate cool-weather white, the most popular white varietal grown in the valley. Winters are typically cool and wet, summers are dry and warm. There is enough sunlight and warmth for ripening, but the cool evenings help prevent over-ripening, keeping the fruit fresh and true to style.

Pinot Noir – Released for February 2015

California – Sonoma Valley

Alc./vol: 13% | Body: Light | Sweetness: Dry

THE WINE

Light bodied with soft aromas of cherry, vanilla, and earthy undertones. On the palate bold flavours of red and black cherry and strawberry are balanced by a touch of mellow spice. This fruity and bright wine is ruby in colour with a smooth, satisfying finish.

THE REGION

Sonoma Valley is the largest wine growing region in Sonoma County. Bordered to the west by the Sonoma Mountains and the Mayacamas Mountains on the east, the valley is open from north to south, allowing cool air to flow down from the Pacific Ocean and up from the San Pablo Bay. Sonoma Valley is a diverse region with steep mountains, rolling bench lands, fertile plains, cool coastal fog and an abundance of warm California sunshine. It is known for its Pinot Noir which ripens to delicate perfection in the cooler areas close to the San Francisco Bay.

Volcanic Red (With Grape Skins) – Released for March 2015

Chile – Curicó Valley

Alc./vol: 14% | Body: Full | Sweetness: Dry

THE WINE

Three classic Chilean varietals Cabernet Sauvignon, Carmenère and Merlot make this bold, full bodied blend erupting with sweet fruit flavours from the Cabernet Sauvignon, spicy and earthy notes from the Carménère, rounded out with soft fruit and chocolate notes from the Merlot. Deep red, smooth and balanced, with a lingering finish.

THE REGION

The Curicó Valley is located in the Central Valley, south of Chile’s capital Santiago. The Mediterranean climate of hot days and cool humid nights is very beneficial for the development of flavour and aroma in the wines. The region’s soil is composed of limestone and volcanic rock from the Andes, deposited in the valley over time by the rivers. The combination of the climate and soil are ideal for growing all three varieties found in the Volcanic Red.
:b

Thanks! I just got an email from my LHBS saying that Passport Series is the re-branded KenRidge Showcase Restricted for 2015.

I am not familiar with the cheeky monkey brand, they sound good and are at a good price point. Do you recommend ?

Never tried a Cheeky Monkey but other similar size/duration kits include a Kenridge Classic, RJS Grand Cru, WE Vintners Reserve or MM Vinifera Noble.

I've done several of the Cheeky Monkey kits - regular, not the restricted ones. They are all excellent early drinkers: very smooth, and full flavour. I've done the Merlot, Malbec x2, Cab/Merlot/Garnacha, and the Pinot Noir. I think I've done the Cabernet as well...The Canadian prices seem to be significantly lower than the US prices for some reason.

Hoping to do the Riesling and the Gewurztraminer soon.

So how does everyone think these will compare to other premium kits?

I am considering the Pinot Gris and am curious how it might compare to the Showcase Pinot Gris, which comes with an f-pack and is more expensive even though it is smaller than the Passport (16 L Showcase vs. 18 L Passport). Both come from a similar region (Oregon vs. Washington).

Last edited:
I assume if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it!

Actually, they don't seem that expensive. Priced moderately above (maybe 10-20%) the standard Kenridge Showcase kits at my LHBS.

Here's an example online store from Canada:

PASSPORT-SERIES-791x1024.jpg

The Passport Series are not only replacing the KenRidge Showcase Collection but also the Wine Kitz Limited Release kits . Now we have less to choose from .:(
Here are the 2013 Wine Kitz Limited Release kits .
The Petit Verdot and the Brunello came back for 2015 .
Are they that good or is it part of saving money ? We will see . :b

wine-cellar-2013 wine kitz.jpg

No more California Grand Red. :(

The Brunello and the Petit Verdot are mildly interesting to me. I have a few non-LR wines that I need to make again before my stock gets too low. This may be a year of fewer LRs for me.

So far it seems the LE kits for next year are a little underwhelming, though perhaps it's just me. None of the RJS RQ kits really sparked any interest. As for the Passport kits, only the Petit Verdot and 'Volcanic Red' stand out.

I do wish I had grabbed one of those California Grand Red's...

Does anyone know where I can find these kits in the US? Most of the places I know of and buy from only carry WE, RJ & CC.

The Pinot Noir and Brunello look the most interesting to me but I'm thinking I might pass this time. I think the PN is a 16L kit and you can get the 18L Eclipse version from Sonoma anytime. Granted, the Eclipse version does cost more but I'm guessing the juice quality is similar.

Thoughts on juice quality between this Passport PN and the Eclipse version?

-Josh

It's not just ya'll

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

So far it seems the LE kits for next year are a little underwhelming, though perhaps it's just me. None of the RJS RQ kits really sparked any interest. As for the Passport kits, only the Petit Verdot and 'Volcanic Red' stand out.

I do wish I had grabbed one of those California Grand Red's...

Yep . . . underwhelming. I'll get a couple of the Brunello with high expectations. Maybe the Volcanic Red. And I'm tasting a commercial Aglianico tonight to see if I'm interested in that from RJ Spagnols. All three of the ones I mentioned are in my FVW wish list. Well see which ones make it to the shopping cart.

BTW that Grand Red is in barrel right now and tastes fantastic. SC you ought to search the WWW and find you one. I think it'll be worth the effort.

Latest posts

Back