Candy Cane

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyandkory

Reaction score
The other day we were cleaning out or kiddo's candy stash sense its almost a year old.
there were several candy canes and two of the big giant ones so we melted these down with a little sugar and threw it into a carboy...

Looks like pepto lol will post pic later.

any one ever tried?

I tried one gallon last year after Christmas when candy canes went on sale. This was the only wine I've made that stuck. I tried everything to get it going again without success. I might try another one this year though. It sounds like it would be good. Good Luck.

Mine last year did not stuck and it was very good but this year's batch is sitting at 1.000 since January but I'm not worried, I don't have any plans on bottling this until November and I'm sure it will be pretty good, lol, it doesn't last too long once in the bottle.

I went thru "my stash" of stuff this afternoon and grabbed my post-holiday candy canes, including two of the 2 pound sticks...seriously need to get this one assembled and fermenting, because I agreed not to purchase anything that I already had in stock (unless I found great great price reduction). Had the pleasure of sampling the candy cane wine and I really enjoyed it.

I"m in, let me dig mine out and I'll post up later

i've got 5 gallons of this stuff bulk aging right now, batched it back in march or feb can't remember here at work. i added chocolate to mine, my question is has anyone added peppermint schnapps to this to increase the flavor and create a semi-port wine?

Here is that pic ... Good thing its only a gallon I forgot to write down the ingredients!

Edit: found the recipe

Candy Cane 2 Large regular candy cane. 1 regular red candy cane. 1 regular rainbow candy cane. lalvin ICV-D47 9/9/12 1 gallon ? 1.140

ForumRunner_20121005_105704.jpg

Last edited:
Here is that pic ... Good thing its only a gallon I forgot to write down the ingredients!

Candy Cane 2 Large regular candy cane. 1 regular red candy cane. 1 regular rainbow candy cane. lalvin ICV-D47 9/9/12 1 gallon ? 1.140

View attachment 5682
I have found that if the recipe gives the quantity in ounces, not number of sticks, it is easier to duplicate. And even then, nothing is guaranteed because the "strength" of the peppermint varies. Might want to keep a bottle of peppermint flavoring handy!
BTW, mine came out at 15% abv. Schnapps, anyone?:h

View attachment 5682

What color is this wine when is finished?

I am not sure ... I will post a pic when it is finished.
I think others on here maybe able to answer that though

It will pretty much be white, most of the color from the canes will ferment out. Use some extra canes to backsweeten with and that will put some color back it, it should come out like a dark pink. And you will need to add some peppermint extract, their isn't enough flavor in the canes.

It will pretty much be white, most of the color from the canes will ferment out. Use some extra canes to backsweeten with and that will put some color back it, it should come out like a dark pink. And you will need to add some peppermint extract, their isn't enough flavor in the canes.

Thank you Julie, I was wondering how it would turn out, because I am thinking in making some myself.

Thank you Julie, I was wondering how it would turn out, because I am thinking in making some myself.

If you decide, when melting the canes and adding them, keep checking the hydrometer. You can start off with a pretty high reading if you are not careful and I would use Welch's white grape concentrate as a base.

If you decide, when melting the canes and adding them, keep checking the hydrometer. You can start off with a pretty high reading if you are not careful and I would use Welch's white grape concentrate as a base.

Thank you again, very helpful information, as usual...

I am not sure what we did or didn't do but this turned out terrible and we dumped it out.... which was weird because the only things I had put in it so far was candy canes ... water and yeast... oh well it was just an experiment.

I am not sure what we did or didn't do but this turned out terrible and we dumped it out.... which was weird because the only things I had put in it so far was candy canes ... water and yeast... oh well it was just an experiment.

I bet there wasn't much in the way of peppermint was there? I end up adding about a tablespoon of peppermint extract to mine.

on the spot ... and it was sour ... not sour candy sour but like turned milk sour (not milky taste)

Latest posts

Back