Here is WHAT I don't understand

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
I let all my wine age in one gallon carboys with air locks. I stir a couple of times a day with a spoon while in the fermenting pail.

I generally rack 3 or 4 times to a clean sanitized 1 gallon carboys. The final racking of 30 gallons today had just a smidgen on the bottom but I racked anyway. I added a tablespoon or maybe two tablesspoons of water to some of the gallons. I did not think that small amount of water would make any difference.

One one carboy I blended 2 different wines I was about a cup short so I added some white zif I bought for that purpose. My chocolate raspberry port, I added about a cup of raspberry wine.

The wine is perfectly clear with no bubbles. We even shined a flashlight into the carboys and saw no bubbles. I keep reading all these posts about gassy wine and all the different methods of de-gassing. But in over 40 gallons made (yah we drank some early) of wine and 30 gallons of skeeter pee, I have never de-gassed or had a problem with gassy wine.

I did post photos earlier final rackings today.

My question is WHY NOT? Why do I not have a problem with gassy wine?

The one thing that I did not see is the time frame from start to finsh ?
What were your wine temps thru this process as well ?
What type of yeast did you start with ?
As you can tell there are alot of factors that are invloved in this question ,
If I would assume that the co2 would also release better in a 1 gallon jug vs a 6 gallon jug

are you using traditional racking or vacuum racking ?

thanks steve

Without going back over all my notes, most of the time I used Lalvin 71-B.

They were all started in November of 2011 so about 4 months. The Black Current was the most recent but it is clear too. The Chocolate Raspberry Port kit in January, I think, with a lot of tips and advise from Wade. I did come up a bit shy on the final racking of the port (it did not taste too bad yesterday which was surprising)... I would consider it drinkable but will age it anyway.

They were in a room under an 8' table with a table cloth covering the table and most of the sides in boxes that hold 4 1 gallon carboys each. No sunlight. I am guessing it would have been room temperature around 72 degrees.

Racked with a siphon from the wine shop.

Best guess is multiple stirrings, rackings, warm temps during aging and they are just gallon increments.

Once they were in the 1 gallon carboys, they no longer were stirred.

Your stirrings in primary released a good bit of CO2. Once in a Carboy they naturally degassed anymore CO2 being kept warm.

You act like this is a bad thing. Be happy.

Most like to bulk age in cooler temps which aides in the reduction of tartaric acid.

No, I don't think it a bad thing at all. I am just curious because I read many posts about c02 and S02 or nasty smells.

I have been prepared to go buy a vacuum if I needed it because it seems like the gases are a real problem on the forum and I had a hard time understanding why I haven't had a problem. Trust me, I am not being smart Alecy, I really wanted to know why.

We both have lifting problems so the 1 gallon carboys are an ideal weight for either of us to lift. I am sure for the money I spent on all the one gallon and 1/2 gallon carboys, I could have bought larger ones for probably less money if I looked around. The wines are made in the kitchen and aged in a dining room under an 8' utility table. Then into the crawl space, no basements here in NC.

And from now on out, I don't think I am to be making more then 2 gallons of any one wine. There are too many I want to try!

Smaller batches release ges much easier as there is less volume to hold it in. Do youi ferment to dry in bucket?

Yes to dry. And sometimes I have to wait a day or two longer to do the first racking because of our work schedule. I am never in a hurry to do any racking because of our time issue.

Wade not sure if you saw my other post but the Chocolate Raspberry Port is awesome. We did try a small sip today when we did the final racking. We will let all 3 gallons age though.

Put a cap on one of your gallon jugs and give it a good shake and fine out if you have gas or not, dont do it near the wifes good carpet. Crackedcork

Put a cap on one of your gallon jugs and give it a good shake and fine out if you have gas or not, dont do it near the wifes good carpet. Crackedcork

Do not do this. You will oxygenate the wine.

Put some in a glass and do it. You will get a fffft if there is CO2 in the wine.

All of my small 1 gallon wines have always seemed to go quicker. Just did some rackings and ended up just botteling my gallon of Mulberry, because on tasting it was just sooo darn good and it was clear as a bell.

I agree with Steve and Wade. Smaller volumes and several rackings.

I know what you mean about going to smaller containers to save the ole back. I have been using more 3 gallon carboys lately just for that reason. I don't think any of my 6 gallon carboys are going to be allowed to multiply anymore.

It's a whole lot easier to pick up and carry the 3 gallon, one at a time, than a single 6 gallon.

Latest posts

Back