Small Startup Wineries and Vineyards getting some help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the last few years, I have been working with Cornell on a Cold Hardy grape trial in upper NY at Willsboro. We have 25 varieties planted in the trial to see what grows best here and makes a decent wine. I have learned a great deal from the experience and we share the information through Extension. I have also been conducting my own Training System research to further the knowledge of these grapes. A couple years ago I went to a planning conference in Burlington Vt for laying the framework of a multimillion dollar, multistate grant. This grant has been approved and here is a link to a bit of information on it. Much, much more to follow.

http://cals.cornell.edu/cals/grapesandwine/appellation-cornell/issue-8/northern-grapes.cfm

At the same time Miguel Gomez- an economist at Cornell sought and was approved for a grant to help startup wineries develop into growing wineries for longterm survival. Here is a link to a bit of info on that.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Nov11/CALSruralWine.html

He was up speaking to our group a few weeks ago again as we are the Lake Champlain group he mention in the article.

I thought I would share this information as a lot of it is aimed at the new cold climate wines grown in many areas of the midwest and northeast.

Good info Rich, thanks for posting. I signed up for the newsletter. Always interested in news in the 3 varieties I currently have growing as well as anything new coming down the Cornell viticultural pipeline.

Good info, thanks for posting it. Cornell does a lot of great work, in fact I am probably going to be planting some Corot Noir vines next year, and of course Cornell is who we have to thank for that varietal, among many others.

I see their name at several wineries around here. Must be research vinyards. They also have a research lab in Portland, N.Y., that specializes in vines, wines not too far from Walkers.

Back