when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
How long after moving over to the carboys do you leave that much headspace Joe? It seems like an awful lot of airspace there. I like to bring it up to just below the neck. It will be OK for a short period because of the degassing of the newly fermented wine, but as the gas levels decrease it increases the risk of oxidation.

It's all in the ???????

once I've moved from the open primary I like to give the wine a chance to expand and settle out usually 1 to 2 weeks max then I'll down size to the proper vessels. MAKE's sense that there is still activity going to happen no matter how small so it pays for me to have total control of the process. HOW are you feeling by the way I hope well.

11.jpg

IMG_20150313_131958876.jpg

I think what Joe does is similar to what WE kits do.They have you moved to carboy once the SG is around 1.010, headspace no issue since the wine is still fermenting. I made a white WE kit recently and the instructions say (even after stabilizing AND racking once the wine is clear) to let the wine for close to a month (even with a considerable head space) to better "polish" the final product (clear even more).

Geek

THAT IS CORRECT FOR THE REASONS I STATED ABOVE,WITH A KIT YOU HAVE AMPLE TIME TO PLAN YOUR WORK AND WORK YOUR PLAN WITH THE PROPER TOOLS IN YOUR TOOL BOX HEAD SPACE IS NOT A TRUE PROBLEM IN THE VERY BEGINNING,BUT YOU NEED CONTROL OF YOUR PROCESS.:hug

Head space

LETS TALK HEAD SPACE, when I make wine I'm always in a primary fermenter and that is always a open food grade bucket, that then sets the stage for the process to get a good start on the fermentation , lots of room for my wine and it's counter parts to interact together along with the oxygen to create a great fermentation without the boil over and plenty of room for me to work .

AFTER THE PRIMARY:
ONCE THE PRIMARY IS COMPLETED, THEN I MOVE TO THE SECONDARY JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE,ONLY THAT'S WHERE I PART COMPANY WITH SOME.
EX: from a six gallon start boil off to a six gallon carboy usually good open head space that then allows the chemical reactions if any to continue until the real secondary start. USUALLY about two weeks later, that's when I decide to re-racked the wine and usually move it down to a five gallon carboy if there is any left it goes into the appropriate container whether its a gallon or a bottle it gets transferred down and that's the end .MY focus is then on the main body of the wine and the PROCESS.
IN THE SECONDARY IS WHERE A LOT OF WINE MAGIC CAN HAPPEN WITH YOUR FPACS AND SUCH,REMEMBER when you add a fpac to the primary you incorporate the two flavor profiles as one ,when you add the fpac to the secondary it becomes a background addition, don't confuse the two with a wine that comes with a foiled fpac that always should go into the secondary that is because your wine is just the base and the fpacs is all your flavor that the manufacture wants you to taste that is your real profile ,GOT IT!

HEAD SPACE, can be a asset or a disaster depending of how you handle it ,I do it this way and always have control over the process.:a1

1.jpg

2.jpg

3 (2).jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Head space

GO BACK AND REVIEW HEAD SPACE TELL ME WHAT YOUR THOUGHTS ARE...............:db

Hammonton wine festival

two days before i left for vacation i entered a very big red and big local competition,mostly red wine drinker and a great variety of whites and some fruits 190 in all at this one and 250 people in PAID attendance,11 professional judges from the department of agriculture and local winery owners,also the second part was the tasting and awards for what is call (the peoples choice award ) this is for the 250 who paid to eat and judge each others wine in a blind competition ,it is a first class wine event bar none, even through to some a small venue ,here's were i stood in the end .
1ST PLACE PROFESSIONAL JUDGES CHOICE + 3
2ND PLACE PROFESSIONAL JUDGES CHOICE +1
1ST PLACE PEOPLE CHOICE AWARDS + 2
BEST OF SHOW........ ALWAYS THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

MY ENTRIES WERE,
(COFFEE PORT)(CARAMEL PORT)(STRAWBERRY WINE) (SHIRAZ/VIOGNIER BLEND)(VIOGNIER/RIESLING/ CHENIN BLANC BLEND)

IMG_20150421_141837952.jpg

IMG_20150421_141925799.jpg

IMG_20150421_141932476.jpg

Last edited:
two days before i left for vacation i entered a very big red and big local competition,mostly red wine drinker and a great variety of whites and some fruits 190 in all at this one and 250 people in PAID attendance,11 professional judges from the department of agriculture and local winery owners,also the second part was the tasting and awards for what is call (the peoples choice award ) this is for the 250 who paid to eat and judge each others wine in a blind competition ,it is a first class wine event bar none, even through to some a small venue ,here's were i stood in the end .

1ST PLACE PROFESSIONAL JUDGES CHOICE + 3

2ND PLACE PROFESSIONAL JUDGES CHOICE +1

1ST PLACE PEOPLE CHOICE AWARDS + 2

BEST OF SHOW........ ALWAYS THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

MY ENTRIES WERE,

(COFFEE PORT)(CARAMEL PORT)(STRAWBERRY WINE) (SHIRAZ/VIOGNIER BLEND)(VIOGNIER/RIESLING/ CHENIN BLANC BLEND)

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1600x901.
attachment.php

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1600x901.
attachment.php

wol_error.gif
attachment.php

Last edited by joeswine; Yesterday at 04:13 PM.

user_online.gif

5 People Like This​

post_old.gif
Yesterday, 06:11 PM #589 Tom

Original Senior Moderator​

Liked 64 Times on 46 Posts

Likes Given: 1​

icon1.gif

Trophy.gif
Trophy.gif
Trophy.gif

ATTAWAY JOE

Fermenting

user_offline.gif

thumbs_up.gif
Like This Post​

:​

removeformat.gif

progress.gif
Posting Quick Reply - Please Wait

printer.gif
Show Printable Version
subscribe.gif
Unsubscribe from this Thread

mode_linear.gif
Linear Mode
mode_hybrid.gif
Switch to Hybrid Mode
mode_threaded.gif
Switch to Threaded Mode

Search this Thread

Advanced Search

Rate This Thread
rating_5.gif
Excellent

rating_4.gif
Good

rating_3.gif
Average

rating_2.gif
Bad

rating_1.gif

divider.png

Last edited:
coffee port

yes is was but I noticed that the overall taste buds from the west coast to the Midwest seam to very different from the east coast, this port has won best of show twice and professional judges awards all in the eastern contest, yet can do no better then 2ND else where ,but that's judging for you never can tell.:hug that leads me to just stay in this state for competitions it's more cost effective in the long run. I will also try vanadium this year that's very big in Philadelphia.

okay lets take a look at scoring 225 points is perfect ,take a look at the top ten and see how they were scored.

THE first thing you notice is that there is not enough aging time on 90% of the wines any type, that is a deterrent the high end of the scoring 189 points at the low end of the scoring was 171 points not that great a difference is there but look at the aging these winemakers seam to make and send of the out to competitions as a finished product, keep in mind that some of these winemakers are die hard red makers.so lets take a look at what scored best, there where 5 semi-dry and 5 sweet, good balance of judging okay?. TOP FIVE,ONE DRY AND 4 SEMI SWEET OR SWEET,interesting. Yet on the peoples choice awards, remember this is were the paid attendance votes on wines in a blind tasting ,THE VOTING WAS JUST OPPOSITE EXCEPT FOR THE COFFEE PORT which took top honors for the peoples choice I would not have won according to there taste any of the 1ST place judges awards ,interesting don't you think? These are people who know each others wines well, a tight knit community of red winemakers, great people and a great organization as well, I'll do better next year. That god for pro-judges.

IMG_20150421_141932476.jpg

Last edited:
Semillon/sauvignon blanc blend

this was a work of pleasure a great blend of to awesome whites and a dash of fruit ,21 days in a cold soak ,perfect!
follow the process good wine takes work good-- work results in a great product
follow the flow.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Semillon/sauvignon blanc blend cont.

THE FLOW WILL MOVE ON..........:i.THIS ONE AND THE DIABLO ROJO...WILL BE IN COMPETITIONS NEXT YEAR.BOTTLING WILL BE SOMETIME IN MAY.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14a.jpg

14b.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Last edited:
Party wine kits

very pleasing to the tasr buds in the summer these are a wine based cocktails thatmy wife nd here fellow lady riding friends at luch after a ride with htere horses.

1 the kit.jpg

2 all the ingredients.jpg

3 ingredients.jpg

4 empty large bag.jpg

5 top up to 3 gals.jpg

6 take SG.jpg

7 stir in bentonite.jpg

8 yeast.jpg

Finished Product Cosmo.jpg

IMG_0148.JPG

Last edited:
Amarone the king of italian reds

Wineexpert Amarone

*UPDATED*

Here is our kit that we received from Wineexpert. This kit is a Wineexpert Selection Series Amarone. This kit has the following included. (This list is a little different from the usual kit that you receive. This is a top of the line kit.)

The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· Grape skin pack (You can actually see that there are grape skins in it!)
· 2 packs of Lavin RC-212
· 2 Chaptalisation Packs (bags of sugar)
· Package #2 (bentonite)
· Package #3 (Metabisulphite)
· Package #4 (Sorbate)
· Package #5 (Chitosan-(Fining Agent)
· Mesh Straining Bag
· 3 Packages of European Hungarian Oak
Just for reference, I’m sure everyone knows by now if they have been following the posts, that you will need certain equipment to make this kit. For the newbies, I’m going to put it below so you know what you need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (6 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend Onestep or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 30 wine bottles, thirty corks , thirty seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an italian floor corker.)
The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself. J
· Add half gallon of warm water to the primary fermenting bucket with the bentonite packet and stir until dissolved.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· Next, we added the smaller “grape skin packet”. It’s lumpy so you also want to rinse the bag out w/ water also, to get all the grape skins.
· Now, we take the SG reading. We’re at 1.10.
· Next, we added the smaller “grape skin packet”. It’s lumpy so you also want to rinse the bag out w/ water also, to get all the grape skins.
· Now, here comes all that Hungarian oak! We are adding 3 packets of Hungarian powdered oak (wow!).
· Here comes the fun part. YEAST! 2 packets of RC-212 yeast. Cover with a towel and wait 5-7 days, gently punching down the grape skins.
Secondary Fermentation:
Now that we fermented dry (SG reading is 1.010), now it’s time to rack it.
Notice the grape skins on top? This is the cap that formed from the grape skin packet that was provided in the Wineexpert Amarone Kit, along with the addition of California Raisins (that I added to add more body).
We racked this down to a carboy but it is pretty gassy. I’m going to let this settle out for a few days and degas some on its own. Over the weekend, I will force-gas it (If I have to) by giving it a good old-fashioned stir. Once I feel that it’s de-gassed enough, I will stabilize it with the potassium sorbate packet, K-Met Packet, and packet of Chitosan (clearing agent).

UPDATE:

We finished bottling our super-awesome, Winexpert Selection International Amarone Kit. We are quite happy with the results. Our end result is a dark, inky-color, rich, full bodied, wine. It has a spicy-earthy, sour cherry aroma, dried fruit, bitter almond, from the huge volume of tannins.

For a kit wine that started just 2 1/2 months ago, the results are quite impressive. (We started this kit on August 22, 2013. We bottled tonight, 10/24/2013. After doing this kit, we would def. recommend this one for any true Italian red-wine drinker.

We would like to thank Winexpert for giving us the opportunity to present one of their finest wine kits they have available. We would definitely recommend this kit to the novice and experienced winemakers alike as it truly is exceptional.

Amarone Box.jpg

Box Contents.jpg

Chitosan.jpg

Dextrose.jpg

Hungarian Oak.jpg

Kmeta bentonite sorbate.jpg

Lalvin RC212 Yeast.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes.jpg

20130822_194937.jpg

20130822_195603.jpg

Amarone continued

THE TRICKS THAT I WILL DO TO THIS KIT WILL ALLOW IT TO BE ALL IT CAN BE IN SHORT ORDER,FOLLOW THE PROCESS................IT'S LONG BUT WORTH THR EFFORT.:wy

20130822_195853.jpg

dextrose pics (1).jpg

dextrose pics (2).jpg

1 amarone straining raisins.jpg

2 amarone racking 2.jpg

3 amarone racking.jpg

Amarone gas bubbles.jpg

Stirring Amarone 9 12 13.jpg

Amarone Macerating.jpg

Amarone by the glass.jpg

Latest posts

Back