It was the Worst of wines...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truebrew

Reaction score
OK, so I have a question for the group. What is the worst wine you've ever made and what went wrong???

Joe Mattoli's Ancient Orange Mead, I discovered I font like cloves very much in wine. I didnt even use as much as he stated in this recipe and thats all I can taste!

Wade i agree with you on the cloves. Thank's to rodo for telling me to hold off on them. I only used two cloves in a 7 gallon batch and I can taste them. It was perfect.

My worst batch was a Chenin Blanc that had a carry over from the Jalapeno that was in the primary the day before.

The strawberry I made from juice pretty much sucks also.

Watermelon from melons. We kinda forgot it in the primary for about 6 months. Same mistake with a peach also. All primaries stay in plain sight from then on.
Strawberry or Blackberry are in a race for top wines made in my kitchen. Both from real berry, have yet to buy a kit.

Last edited:
Watermelon, definately the worst. Think it was just too hot and the juice started going bad before the fermentation got around to stabilizing it. Arne.

I used old orchard grape one time and it tasted terrible. Like weak grape juice with vodka in it.

Three gallons of peach that oxidized on me. I still have no idea how it happened. My airlock or bung could of failed. I may have forgot to keep up with sulfites during rackings. It drives me mad trying to figure it out.

I made a batch of Welch's white grape that isn't "ruined" it's just sitting for a loooong time before I'll crack another one open.

One of my first wines... and I campdened the ever loving crap out of it... *shakes head sadly*

as it stands right now... my apple. they werent ripe enough and we juiced them without coring them first. yea it's got a real bitter aftertaste. i'm hoping it getters better some how.. like magic.

My first peach wine. Did not freeze the fruit and left the skins on. Might have under sulfited also. Tried it for three years running hoping it would get better with age. No luck, finally had to dump it.

So far, the worst for me has been the Chief Niwot's Mead. Not sure what went wrong. It could be so many things.... maybe because I almost tripled the recommended amount of gypsum by accident or perhaps I waited too long to bottle so that the yeast was dead before I added the sugar syrup that was supposed to add the carbonation. In any case, the mead has serious pucker power and no fizz. Looks like I'll be dumping this one.

Kiwi wine.

Made a batch from dutch grown green kiwi's and the wine was awfull. Well made, good in balance but the flavor was awfull.
Then a year later I made another batch. Same result.
Dumped it down the drain.

Next:

pumpkin wine.

Made this one also two years in a row and two times from different varieties of pumpkins.
First year was soso. Second year was bad. Real bad.

Will not make any of those again.

Luc

Latest posts

Back