Stirring?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvbrewer

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a question. In my recipie book it says to stir the must in the primary everyday for ten days or till the ferment reaches 1.020 before you secondary it. Is this what you guys normally due during primary ferm?

Thanks
Dave

Ps.

I am also using Lalvin K1-V1116 to make a batch of white concord type wine. I know it a low foam strain. The question is what type of activity sould I be looking for with this yeast?

Dave that is the correct way to do it. I actually snap the lid on my primary with an airlock right on day one and never stir. I haven't had any problems yet but I have heard of others that have. I am also starting out with juice and not fruit or grapes and that probably makes a difference.

Dave I agree with Runningwolf except I open the primary a couple of times during the fermentation (not every day) and stir in some air. It seems to make it go faster. Once it hits below 1.00 I leave the top on and ferment until dry. Then I rack it out of the primary. Hope this helps.

Thanks Gentleman,

I will do it that way and just give it a stir every couple of days. I am using a large galss jar with a cloth tied on top as a primary. I have used this for all of our wine so far. I quess I worry to much about doing something wrong. I forgot to tell you guys the temps in the house are between sixty seven and seventy degrees.

Thanks,
Dave

I leave mine open with a cloth over it and stir twice a day. When the SG reaches about 1.005 - 1.010 - i rack to secondary.

Sounds good. Its cloudy now with hardly no bubbles on top. I will check the SG maybe Thursday and see if it has changed. I started it at 1.090.

Thanks
Dave

Latest posts

Back