RJ Spagnols Spagnols vs. WineXpert ultra premium

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabeachbear

Reaction score
I know this is a Spagnols thread and I couldn't be happier with my first 5 kits I've made, but I saw that WineXpert has an Eclipse kit that seems to be matching in EP kits from Spagnols.

I wanted to make a Barolo, but Spagnols doesn't have one in the high end.

Just curious if any of you have tried and what was your experience. Its actually more expensive than the EP kits so its a lot of money if it isn't as good.

To early to tell. The Eclipse kits are brand new so we have zero data at this point int time.

I have done several WE and RJS high end kits but no Eclipse yet. IMO In general I find RJS matures earlier than similar WE. By at least 6 months. My New Years resolution is to start some Eclipse kit in Jan 2013. Perhaps we should start a New Years resolution thread.

I have an eclipse kit on the way, but I have a luna rossa and a tempranillo in the queue ahead of it.

Okay some lurker out there has finished an Eclips kit by dirrections. Please log in and report.

Just got mine in today, (thanks to Doug at Brew & Wine Supply for the prompt shipping, especially for this time of year!).

I opened it up, but like I said I can't start it yet. My initial impression is that it looks a lot like the Selection International kits that have grape skins. I have a SI Tempranillo right next to it for comparison. Of course the Eclipse has more volume. Are these 18L of juice + grape pack or 16L + 2L grape pack? I actually can't find it on the box or in the instructions. The SI is 15L + grape pack. The grape packs have the same packaging and size.

Also, it has a lot of oak, at least more than I'm used to with the CC Showcase kits. I have the Cabernet Sauvignon, and it has 60g of chips for the primary and 90g of cubes for secondary.

But the SI Tempanillo has 120g of oak for primary (60g chips and 60g powder) and 60g of cubes for secondary.

So I'm looking forward to seeing what the big deal is!

Arent the Eclipse kits just renamed W.E. grape skin kits from before? If not whats different about these?

glad to see a happy customer. We try to get everything out the same day if we can! :db
I plan on doing one of the Eclipse kits after the first of the year too. Thinking of the OV Zin kit. Have not had much time to play with one of these yet.

Wade: I think these kits have more higher grade juice and a larger grape skin pack than the old kits. they are a larger box than the older kits too.

Last edited:
Aren't the Eclipse kits just renamed W.E. grape skin kits from before? If not whats different about these?
WE used to have a single vinyard shiraz in the estate series, but I think it was the only one that had a grapeskin pack. The Eclipse series kits replace the Estate series name for name, and all the reds have grapeskin packs. For example, I have made several of the Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet kits and Napa Valley Stag's Leap Merlot kits. Both of these varietals still exist, but the next time I make them they will have the grapeskin packs that they never had before. I'm hoping they are even better than before, but only time will tell. As they arrived at my retailer only recently, I don't know of anyone who has completed one yet.

Eclipse Kits

In August 2015, I made an Eclipse Italian Forza. It was a triple blend of Corvine, Sangiovese, and barbera. It was the best wine kit I ever made. And I've been doing this for 17 years.

BTW, I a red winer, but my lady friends asked me to make a Chardonnay. I choose the RJS RQ17 kit. It was the best white I ever made.

I have for reds:
RJS trio red 18L kit with grape skins bulk aging right now.
WE LE16 cabernet franc 18l kit no skins, still clearing.
WE LE16 grenache cabernet 18L with grape skins, on deck.
So ill let you know in a year which is better :)
For whites:
RJS 16l New Zealand Sauv Blanc 16liter kit. Bottled:
Wine Expert LE16 Blanc de Noir. Clearing. (Excited about this one)

I dont have a prefference on kits, i like variety and trying different manufacturers and i have paid about the same price for RJS and Wine Expert in my area. I tend to buy RJS more often just because im friends with the lady that runs the RJS wine shop in my area and she tends to give me deals on kits every so often.

Folks - this thread was started about 5 years ago when the Eclipse line first surfaced. Plenty of time and testing since. Each premium line from RJS and WE has their shining stars.

The WE SLM gets raves as the best kit merlot you can get your hands on (I've done two so far and am wild about it). Their Cab and Nebbiolo are supposed to be exceptional - time will tell for me. But, the RJS EP Super Tuscan and Amarone also get raves (I've got a WE Bravado ST aging right now and it's already substantially better than the LE14 I made... the EP ST is supposed to be even better than that).

The WE Forza is incredible, Gebe. Almost at the two year mark with mine, too. It really is something special. No wonder they sold out of it so quickly. I bet at 3 years it will be even better.

I have done 6 different Eclipse kits. The Bravado and Cab are still in the carboys (1 yr plus). I think they are the best I have made. Previously I made almost exclusively the special releases. The Eclipse kits really produce distinctive wines but should not be rushed. The Zin is our favourite with the Shiraz very close. The Forza and Neb are also good.
My next kits are going to be Nocturnal (coming out soon) and either another Zin or the Merlot.

I've done the Sauvignon Blanc twice (and need to do another). Also the Barolo (before they changed it to Nebbiolo), Stag's Leap Merlot and Forza. Barolo and SLM are excellent. Sadly, I'm down to 1 bottle of the Barolo. The Forza tastes really young to me - even at almost 18 months. I think it'll be good in time, but it clearly isn't ready yet.

Has anyone done either the Eclipse Pinot Noir or the RJS EP Pinot Noir? What are your thoughts? I am having a very difficult time deciding which one to order and the price is very similar. Thanks!

Has anyone done either the Eclipse Pinot Noir or the RJS EP Pinot Noir? What are your thoughts? I am having a very difficult time deciding which one to order and the price is very similar. Thanks!

I have the RJS EP Pinot Noir in the bottle and aging. The first taster I had (at the 9 month mark now) was very fruity, medium bodied. Definitely not disappointed. But, it needs some time on a shelf until it gets anywhere near its prime. I picked it because members here seem to like it better; and, most of my kits are WE so I figured I'd go with a change of pace.

But, I'm with Joe - if you can afford it, buy them both. Let them properly age and then compare for yourself. Honestly, I wish I could buy them two at a time. Just when my wines are getting REALLY good, I run out of them.

Last edited:

We've made them both. The RJS EP is a bit better.

I have the Eclipse Aging now (10 months in bottle), it did not come with a skins pack which was surprising for an eclipse red I understaand the RJS EP does have skins. Given the Pinot Noir is a lighter wine anyways I will probably drop down grade next time I make one (WE - Selection, or RJS Cru Select)

I would love to make both, and probably will eventually, but I need to space them out due to limited carboys (I already have five going and promised hubby I'd stop at six). Thank you for your suggestions - I think I will start with the RJS EP and follow up next spring with the WE, unless I'm able to catch my husband in a moment of weakness ;)

Latest posts

Back