Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm drinking a 2013 LE Shiraz Cabernet that ceeaton left here a couple weeks ago. I believe it's BBJim's.

Not as big a wine as I would have thought with two big grapes, but it is very good. Ripe cherry, red fruit palate. Nice complexity with moderate tannins. Medium bodied and colored, with just a little brick tint to it. Guessing it got a little time in the barrel - 3-6 months.

Thank you for being here to celebrate the 4th with me.

I guess I could have given you his notes....pitched RC-212 6/16/2014, 1 tsp Tancor Grand Cru tannin added to primary, 12 weeks in a neutral Vadai barrel, added Tannin Riche Extra and 3 oz French oak cubes for bulk aging. Bottled 2/15/2015. At the time of his notes (spring 2015) he noted that of the few bottles he had opened that it was very good already at that point in time.

I guess I could have given you his notes....pitched RC-212 6/16/2014, 1 tsp Tancor Grand Cru tannin added to primary, 12 weeks in a neutral Vadai barrel, added Tannin Riche Extra and 3 oz French oak cubes for bulk aging. Bottled 2/15/2015. At the time of his notes (spring 2015) he noted that of the few bottles he had opened that it was very good already at that point in time.

I must have liked that one, because it didn't last long. I believe yours was the last bottle.

I posted this in the What's in Your Glass thread, but it belongs here.

This weekend we opened Craig's (ceeaton) Brunello. Kathy (wife) tasted the Brunello... said it was the best wine Craig has made so far. Nicely aged - three years, with only a little smidge of kittishness. Dark, complex, integrated tannins with a cherry, blackberry and leather palate. I may have to grab one of these before they're all gone.

I posted this in the What's in Your Glass thread, but it belongs here.

This weekend we opened Craig's (ceeaton) Brunello. Kathy (wife) tasted the Brunello... said it was the best wine Craig has made so far. Nicely aged - three years, with only a little smidge of kittishness. Dark, complex, integrated tannins with a cherry, blackberry and leather palate. I may have to grab one of these before they're all gone.

UPDATE: I got one. It should be here next week where I'll do an EM on it and age it 2-3 years before tasting.

UPDATE: I got one. It should be here next week where I'll do an EM on it and age it 2-3 years before tasting.
Mine's due to be delivered tomorrow. Just have to read over that EM thread to familiarize myself with the process. I'm sure you can help me out on that end since you've done it before.

Enjoying a Meglioli Amoroso I got from @mainshipfred . Nice fruit - cherry, blueberry, raspberry - and pretty much no kit taste. No alcohol noted in the nose or taste, but based on how I feel, the ABV is up there. :dg A little light on the oak for my taste with this style; but a very, very good wine. I'm definitely enjoying it. Good job, Fred!

OK ive got one for this thread that is way long overdue. But requires more than a simple review. I hope you find this entertaining @sour_grapes. Been meaning to do this for a while.
In my house we have an understanding regarding the little wine stash. I keep the upstairs wine rack filled with commercial and homemade wines to grab at will. But there’s also bottles that are ‘hands off’ until I decide it’s time. And Heather is FULLY aware which bottles these are.
One night a few weeks ago we ended up in a HUGE fight that went through the afternoon into the night- with a few 1-2hr breaks of silence/avoiding in between rounds. Olivia was at a sleepover so it was just the 2 of us in the house. With home renovations, impulsive spending, and an emotional woman- arguments tend to happen.
Later on in the evening during a break in the action I walked into the kitchen and noticed she had opened a bottle of wine. But it was one of MY bottles I was saving! An Amarone sent from Mr. @sour_grapes. With tensions already high this really set me off and another round began. Boxing fans refer to these as the “championship rounds”. When your not even arguing over the initial issue but rather the many regretful things said throughout.
After this action packed round I felt like I made my point we were back to silence. And in that moment my pride crept in and I refused to have a taste. I wanted the guilt to sink in for her.
So now we are in the same room sitting in silence. Opposite ends of the couch instead of the standard ‘legs across lap’ nightly routine. She’s sipping the Sour Grapes Amarone while I’m navigating through Netflix or something. I watch in anger as she takes each sip of this seemingly super dark wine. 30 min later still not a word was said and she takes the last sip from the glass. But initially looking over in anger had gradually shifted to jealousy. I’m dying at this point.
She gets up, goes to the kitchen and I hear another glass being poured. Comes back, sits down, and starts working on the 2nd glass. I couldn’t take it anymore and I finally broke the silence. So in a defeated monotone type of way I asked,
“So.... how is the w——“
And before I could even finish the question she blurts out “Oh my God it’s really really good. Do you want me to pour you a glass?”
Obviously I say “of course.” She comes back in, hands me the glass, sits on the couch, said our “I’m sorry’s”, stretches her legs to our assumed positions, and made up while polishing off the bottle of Sour Grapes Amarone together. —And then making up properly once finished :)
Not a typical wine review I’m aware. But then again it wasn’t just a typical bottle of wine.
P.S. The wine was outstanding! Nice and aired out by the time I had a glass ! Lol.

OK ive got one for this thread that is way long overdue. But requires more than a simple review. I hope you find this entertaining @sour_grapes. Been meaning to do this for a while.

Super glad it worked out, AJ. As I read your story, I thought it may end with "I never got to taste it." And the thought that ran through my head was "Not to worry, AJ. Just hope the important things finished out okay!" And so they did!

Super glad it worked out, AJ. As I read your story, I thought it may end with "I never got to taste it." And the thought that ran through my head was "Not to worry, AJ. Just hope the important things finished out okay!" And so they did!

No no. Not to worry. When These things happen they are quickly forgotten and moved on from.
Just thought it was amusing and was centered around the Amarone. (Similar personalities tend to clash. Lol. All is well on the homefront.).
I have another review to put out there soon too. @pgentile’s Sauvignon Blanc.

My wife made her signature lasagna the other day an I was looking for an Itilian wine to go with it when I found a bottle of @jgmann67 Corvino Blend. Nice cherry on the nose and palate with a high but nicely balanced acidity and of course the traditional high alcohol content. Unfortunately my son liked it as well and I only got a glass and a half.

Thank you Jim

A 2016 South Afriican Cabernet Sauvignon made by @pgentile

Exceptional! Can go toe to toe with any commercial Cab in the price ranges I’m typically buying. No question. Better than most actually. You done good Paul. This is a wine to be proud of.

And I’m not drinking whites much, but the Sauv Blanc of yours we had was so good Heather said it was better than any of the bottles I’ve ever brought home! You’ve set the bar high my friend.

IMG_4706.jpg

A 2016 South Afriican Cabernet Sauvignon made by @pgentile

Exceptional! Can go toe to toe with any commercial Cab in the price ranges I’m typically buying. No question. Better than most actually. You done good Paul. This is a wine to be proud of.

And I’m not drinking whites much, but the Sauv Blanc of yours we had was so good Heather said it was better than any of the bottles I’ve ever brought home! You’ve set the bar high my friend.

View attachment 49933

Very glad to hear you liked the SA cab. It is one of my favorites to date. I'm not the biggest on whites either, enjoyed it enough, I only have two bottles of the sauv blanc left. These are products of what I learned here. Cheers dude.

Been racking and working in the wine room all night while drinking it. For the hell of it I checked ph. Clocked in at 4.2! Rechecked my meter and other wines to be sure too.

So what does this tell me? I guess that high ph wines can turn out perfectly fine if balanced well. Just probably won’t be able to age it super long. But given how good it already is, I don’t think that will be an issue.

Been racking and working in the wine room all night while drinking it. For the hell of it I checked ph. Clocked in at 4.2! Rechecked my meter and other wines to be sure too.

So what does this tell me? I guess that high ph wines can turn out perfectly fine if balanced well. Just probably won’t be able to age it super long. But given how good it already is, I don’t think that will be an issue.

You talking about the SA cab had a pH of 4.2?! I think my notes say it was 3.6 or so before bottling, I'll have to look that up. My Hanna meter is pretty darn accurate.

You talking about the SA cab had a pH of 4.2?! I think my notes say it was 3.6 or so before bottling, I'll have to look that up. My Hanna meter is pretty darn accurate.
Can pH move after bottling? I never take pH readings of wine when I open a bottle for drinking. Maybe I should start.

Latest posts

Back