New Vineyard Prep

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! My buds are just starting to swell. I hope you don't get a hard freeze!

Last edited:
After temps in the 70s last week we woke up to wind and snow this morning. Looks like it will be freezing every day this week. So far my buds have not swelled. So I think I'm safe.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492974506.897081.jpg

We had frost Saturday morning and looks like the temps will remain in mid 50's for the next 10 days. Here was a shot from Saturday morning. Need to get my herbicide sprayed soon

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492979473.583232.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492979513.039971.jpg Foch

Last edited:
Good looking rows. Buds look about like mine. I think we are safe from a hard freeze, but it is snowing up at The Ridge. That is ~6,000 ft while my vineyard is at 1,400. Hopefully the cold will stay up there.

upside.jpg

Last edited:
In my experience a light frost is usually ok, particularly if it is late Near sunrise and not too long. Once the leaf starts to unferle it is susceptible. Sprinklers can help at that point.

Been a cold month with temps well below average. Had first season with grape flea beetle. Did not spray but will monitor for damage and learning experience. The picture is of a 4 year old Foch. Very sporadic bud break throughout the vineyard. ImageUploadedByWine Making1495412870.073437.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1497902040.709443.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1497902063.829548.jpg

It has been a busy past month. The vines have really taken off with the inches of rain and heat that we have had over the past couple weeks. The first picture is a Marquette cluster in bloom and the second picture is a few rows of Foch. All of this rain is really making the fungicide protection difficult.

It’s been a while since posting so I figured I’d show some recent pictures. We are in the midst of pruning our vines. Cold Wisconsin winters are a challenge. It was 50 degrees five days in January. Now we keep getting snow and below average temps. Go figure

Spring will be here shortly

IMG_2741.jpgIMG_1518378636.278436.jpg

Same here in Ohio. I was averaging 19 degrees on my pruning days. today it was 27, started pruning and it started raining, yes rain. Turned to ice once it touched anything, but fell as rain. I was sopping wet in about 10 minutes. Needless to say, I did not last long.
Your vineyard looks nice!

Another planting completed. We added another 900 vines, 200 Frontenac and 700 Frontenac Blanc. IMG_2963.jpg

As luck would have it, we got a couple brief downpours today to help them out. With temps in 90’s they may open up this week

Vines are growing like crazy with latest rain and heat. We are mostly through bloom and starting to leaf pull. Pics are Foch and Frontenac.
IMG_3033.jpg
IMG_3027.jpg
IMG_3029.jpg
IMG_3031.jpg

It’s been a warm month with adequate rain. We are seeing good foliage. Verasion shouldn’t be too far in the future

IMG_3124.jpg
Foch

IMG_3123.jpg

Latest posts

Back