Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > General Chit-Chat > What was the worst wine you ever made?

Old 05-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #41
sg1strgt

Apr 2017
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 92

I am sad to hear about the pumpkin wine. I wanted to try that one. Any idea what went wrong and where? As for the cherry, I've had nothing but awesome wine every time. My last batch I split and fortified with Brandy to make a cherry vanilla port (aging for 2months so far). I have to say my WORST batch was Blueberry. I don't understand why or where I went wrong but it tasted like cough syrup and nothing like blueberries even though the color and smell were awesome.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #42
Stressbaby
Just a Member

Aug 2012
Liked 401 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1strgt View Post
I am sad to hear about the pumpkin wine. I wanted to try that one. Any idea what went wrong and where? As for the cherry, I've had nothing but awesome wine every time. My last batch I split and fortified with Brandy to make a cherry vanilla port (aging for 2months so far). I have to say my WORST batch was Blueberry. I don't understand why or where I went wrong but it tasted like cough syrup and nothing like blueberries even though the color and smell were awesome.
Some thoughts based on reading I've done since my pumpkin wine disaster...

1. Roast the pumpkin first. Not sure where I read this but it can't hurt. I guess it would break down the flesh and caramelize it a little bit.

2. Substitute sweet potatoes for 25-33% of the pumpkin. Same thing here, not sure where I read about it but if someone gives me pie pumpkins again, that is what I will do.

sg1strgt Likes This 
Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #43
sg1strgt

Apr 2017
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Will do and thanks for the info. I really want to try this

Old 05-22-2017, 08:35 PM   #44
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 560 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 376

IU suspect my worst wine has yet to be made....especially if I keep reading about pumpkins and sweet potatoes.

Johnd Likes This 
Old 05-23-2017, 03:06 AM   #45
balatonwine
The Verecund Vigneron

May 2017
Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnboro View Post
What's was your worst?
White mulberry wine. It was an experiment and it was terrible. Did not drink it.

I went back to just putting white mulberry fruits into the dehydrator (I think dried white mulberry are better tasting than raisins).