To much sulfite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I stabilized my batch of wine last nite, adding the sulfite and sorbate. And degassed it. But, I added 1/4 tsp of sufite per gallon should have been 1/8.

I plan on letting it clear then racking, adding oak and letting sit for a few months. Then filter and bottle. Will just letting it sit longer before bottleing take care of the extra sulfite? I'm in no hurry.

I actually to 1/16 tsp per gallon.

You can splash rack it to help force out the SO2. Letting it sit will help a little - but the SO2 needs to be aerated out IMO.

I did the same thing on my last batch - i splashed racked a few times and it was much better.

Jon has it right splash it around.
How big a batch?

It's a 6 gallon batch. I was planing on racking it a couple time's anyway. It'd be easy enough to add a couple extra racks in there and splash it around some. I assume it'll be ok to leave it as is until it clears then splash rack it a few time's before oaking it?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
You may want to do a sulphite test later on but for now I believe racking will help you. At first I thought you put in 1/4 tablespoon. Glad it wasn't that much.

I had the same problem once with a plum wine (may years ago).
Splash racking is indeed the way to go.

Luc

Back