Ready for Snowmageddon??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 inches out the back door, 12 out the front as of 8 am. Supposed to end by Noon. Since wifey was still in training she didn't have to stay overnight in a nearby hotel, so we all just slept in. Making 2 lbs of thick cut bacon, some eggs, toast and french toast on ho-made bread. We'll all start taking shifts on the 200 ft driveway, hoping to get most of it cleared before the high winds hit, though if we wait some will be cleared by the wind, the issue is with the pile that will form at the bottom of the driveway. Everyone be safe!

I've never seen so much snow on my balcony considering I'm about 70 feet up. (5th floor and two garage levels)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCWngsaqy1I[/ame]

Got some ho-made bread going a little over an hour ago. Will go out and clear shortly, though its started to snow again - we are pretty much done though.

Our snow stopped falling around Noon. Had the driveway cleared by 12:30. Ready for a nap or bottling a batch of wine and a batch of beer. Good thing I am not drinking any alcohol, one glass and I'd be out for the count...zzzzzzz. Meatballs made and the Ragu started, kitchen smelling pretty wonderful.

We ended up with about 1.5 inches of sleet and a couple inches of snow. The storm tracking further west significantly reduced the impact here. Still it was a pain in the arse to shovel that wet, heavy muck. Meatballs and sauce going here. Bread rising. I'm ready for dinner now. :D

I am not going out in this to take pictures. You couldn't see anything if I did. Only about 6 inches so far in 3 or so hours but the wind is up to almost 30 mph with higher expected. Visibility is about 100 feet and going down quickly. Expecting another 8 inches by midnight and another 8 to 12 by morning. A number of years ago we had 3 storms like this in 5 days and ended up with 5 to 6 feet of snow. More than one roof went in with that mess before they could be cleared. I lost a 28 by 50 foot building in those storms. Wish I still had it here. I didn't want to worry about that when I designed and built my house so I installed trusses rated at 90 psf load.

To make matters worse with this storm, my tractor to clear the 500 foot plus driveway has a flat tire on it ( filled with calcium chloride for weight). I tried to see if it would take and hold air and the air hose split in two with the cold weather! I'm hoping my brother can drive over from the other side of the farm with his 4 wheel drive 100 hp tractor and snowblower tomorrow. I'm sure he is uneasy as he has 12 greenhouses needing to endure the snow load. He can turn on heat in all of them to help the snow to slide off but these big storms have caved in a couple over the years. Of course he has plants going in one of them already. That one is 30 by 150 feet and he begins plants in it.

0h,about 3 feet of snow here in central NY-started bout 4 am just after 5 pm now.supposed to keep on till some time tomorrow.

We ended up with about 1.5 inches of sleet and a couple inches of snow. The storm tracking further west significantly reduced the impact here. Still it was a pain in the arse to shovel that wet, heavy muck. Meatballs and sauce going here. Bread rising. I'm ready for dinner now. :D

Yeah, a couple of inches of wet sleet to shovel today was all we had. At least the 10th grader was home from school and could help out. I would have loved a lot more, but this isn't the year for it apparently.

I got out of DC just in time! I left from Reagan Airport at 6:45 AM Eastern Time yesterday flying to LAX. Arrived in LA at 10 AM Pacific Time. According to the flight boards they were already cancelling and delaying flights to and from Philadelphia, Boston and DC, not to mention NYC.

The snow has mostly ended here now and I think we got right around 24 inches- maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. The news says Morrisonville where I am at got 32 inches and maybe it is. Hard to tell with it all blowing around. I haven't gone out into it yet so I haven't got great pictures yet but here are a couple taken from the back door, which I can't open yet enough to get out. The last ones are a couple pictures from a friend who is between Mount Van Hovenburg and the Ski Jumps in Lake Placid. The snow had been down to nothing, now look at the Adirondack chairs.

Snow 001.jpg

Snow 003.jpg

Snow 006.jpg

southmeadowsadchairs.jpg

adirondackchairs.jpg

Woke up to about 12" of fresh snow. It is coming down at a pretty good pace right now. By the time I finished snow blowing the driveway there was another inch where I started. And I thought I was done with snow blowing this year.

Persistent lake effect snow especially from Buffalo northward, will start to taper this afternoon. Bitterly cold wind chill lingers.

BUFFALO AIRPORT 16.0" 800 AM 3/15 NWS OFFICE

I'm happy not to join the 30" club.

The day after in central PA..... 15 inches of snow yesterday... today its 20 degrees F with a windchill of 5. This is crazy.. a couple weeks ago it was 72 degrees and we got the motorcycles out. I WANT SPRINGTIME!!!
(I tried to add a video but I got a attachment token error !?! )

The high today is going to be 69 degrees. On the one hand, I'm jealous of all the snow you guys are getting. It being this warm in Feb and March makes me shudder to guess how many days over 100 we will have this summer. On the other hand, I'll be putting plants in the ground in the garden this week...so there's that....

Back