Jam on it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jericurl I know where my tomatoes are going only 1/2 go to salsa and I'll be sure to make this!

Here is the link for my pickled onions. This things are a huge hit served over bratwurst, or just with cheese and crackers. I've been known to open a jar and pour it in with a roast that I'm slow cooking in the crockpot as well.

Lol! The "commenters" are the absolute worst!! Everyone has an opinion (obviously), but that doesn't mean you should share it if you're an idiot!

I'm totally in love with her dilly beans. To die for! I add extra hot pepper flakes.

What do you get??

So what do you get when you mix..

1 - bored husband driving home
+ 1 - roadside "U-PICK" strawberry stand
+ 1 - Saturday night with nothing slated
+ 1 stop off at a grocery store?

A triple batch of strawberry jam (16 jars total)

I love the stuff, especially in winter!

The wife told me that, for some reason, strawberry jam has trouble setting. I used 10% more pectin and the jam set just fine.

IMG_20160618_191413_459.jpg

Oh man! Those look gorgeous. Do you leave it straight strawberry or do you add any spice to it?

I do have 1 question..

I am a beginner when it comes to jam. I notice that when I made my strawberry jam, all of the fruit chunks gathered at the top. Is there any type of trick where you can get the chunks of fruit to stay mixed throughout the jam?

JohnT, I make freezer jam for my strawberry, this way I can use Truvia. But the other thing I do is put the jam in small containers, I think this helps with the head space.

@Jericurl: Thanks for that link! I NEED to make those pickled onions, the first recipe. Pickled onions and roast...oh yum!

Written as is, with just some additional hot peppers added, I think this jam pairs really with African, Indian, and Middle Eastern type foods.
The nearest taste equivalent would be a hot and spicy bbq sauce...without the bbq smokey woody taste, if that makes sense. Manthing thinks it is similar to certain sun dried tomato type sauces.

Now you can omit all those spices and come up with your own Italian blend, similar to what would be used in sweet Italian sausage and I think it would do very, very well. Just don't change your sugar or acid amounts.

Made it today.
WOW...made it pretty much straight up except I chopped up a red onion because I can't cook tomatoes without onion, just can't! Like spicy so doubled the red pepper flakes. This stuff is amazingly good...I actually licked the pot, spoons, and canning funnel clean.
Wife took one tasted and started digging in the freezer and pulls out a package of smoked pork butt. Pork on sourdough with tomato jam...OMG!

We going to start pitching tomatoes in the freezer during the week to make more of this stuff...and hot sauce and tomato sauce. I am going to try and figure out a Crockpot way to prep this jam. It is a real winner. Thanks for the link.

Got the sugar and the blueberries. I just need to get the free stone peaches for a batch of peach / blueberry jam. I plan on doing this on Sunday.

I do have some cucumbers and may do a batch of my dill pickle chips too!

Made it today.
WOW...made it pretty much straight up except I chopped up a red onion because I can't cook tomatoes without onion, just can't! Like spicy so doubled the red pepper flakes. This stuff is amazingly good...I actually licked the pot, spoons, and canning funnel clean.
Wife took one tasted and started digging in the freezer and pulls out a package of smoked pork butt. Pork on sourdough with tomato jam...OMG!

We going to start pitching tomatoes in the freezer during the week to make more of this stuff...and hot sauce and tomato sauce. I am going to try and figure out a Crockpot way to prep this jam. It is a real winner. Thanks for the link.

Glad you guys liked it. We are going to get a ton of tomatoes from the Farmer's Market and make it this next weekend. I love that stuff!

I did a whole bunch of canning this weekend..

1 batch of dill pickle chips,
1 batch of blueberry jam,
and one batch of strawberry jam (my second this year)

Here is a group photo..

IMG_20160717_142403_863.jpg

Latest posts

Back