Bulk Aging of Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derunner

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about bulk aging, but the kit wines don't mention this. Does it make sense to bulk age a value kit wine? I am making an Island Mist Pomagranate Zinfandel and a World Vineyard Pinot Grigio. After the wine is clear, is there any point to bulk aging these?

would that same guidance apply to a better kit like a cc lodi old vine zin or cc yakima chardonnay? they are the kits I am thinking about next.

No aging for the "MIST" kit, they are made to drink young and dont hold up to aging.
The white isnt really aged, but it might mello some of its sourness out. Couldnt hurt.

I have found the lower-priced reds benefit somewhat from some bulk-aging, like 6 months or so. But they will also benefit (perhaps equally) from being aged in the bottle. Several months resting after fermenting seems to smooth out any harshness or sharpness from 'young' wines, although the mouth-feel will still be a little disappointing. After 12 months, the lower priced kits have generally peaked. Beyond 18 months, I have not noticed any improvements, but they are still good, if you have any left!

"I have been reading a lot about bulk aging, but the kit wines don't mention this. Does it make sense to bulk age a value kit wine? I am making an Island Mist Pomagranate Zinfandel and a World Vineyard Pinot Grigio. After the wine is clear, is there any point to bulk aging these?

would that same guidance apply to a better kit like a cc lodi old vine zin or cc yakima chardonnay? they are the kits I am thinking about next."

I thought I had seen a reference to bulk aging in a kit I made. This is a mid-range (cost) kit. Here is a link (see the lower right hand corner):

http://finevinewines.com/InstructionsLaBodegaOAJMEAJMEG.pdf

WE's Wine Guide recommends aging for the Mist kit of immediate to 1 year and World Vintage of 1 or 2 months to 1 year. What they're really saying is that the wine can be stored and drank over a year and I don't think bulk aging is of value. I would think, though, almost any wine will benefit from waiting a month after bottling to allow the wine to recover.

Rocky, I consider CC Showcase kits to be ultra-premium. They're 6 week kits, priced comparably to RJ Spagnols Winery Series. The reds are 18 litres with grape packs and the whites are 16 litres. I believe these kits should be aged from 6 months (1 year recommended) to 2+ years.

Tony P.

Last edited:
Rocky, I consider CC Showcase kits to be ultra-premium. They're 6 week kits, priced comparably to RJ Spagnols Winery Series. The reds are 18 litres with grape packs and the whites are 16 litres. I believe these kits should be aged from 6 months (1 year recommended) to 2+ years.

Tony P.

And how much of this aging for the CC Showcase kits should be in Bulk vs aged in the bottles?

And how much of this aging for the CC Showcase kits should be in Bulk vs aged in the bottles?

Aging takes place about as well in the bottle as it does in bulk in a carboy. Actually, they have proven that the smaller the container the slightly faster is the aging process, but that is not a big issue for home wine makers.

The reason to do at least some of the aging in the carboy is to allow all sediment to fall out and to give the wine maker an opportunity to make adjustments over a longer period of time. If you are not going to make any adjustments, there is not much reason to ever bulk age over 6 months.

As was mentioned about the mist or summer wine kits, these guys can be drank a month after they clear. They might improve slightly over time, but they are pretty much intended to be consumed very early. I have made 3 or 4 Orchard Breezin' kits each year; they don't ever last more than about 6 months at my house. (I am becoming so sick of the sorbate taste (yuck!) that I will only make them in the future for friends.)

Pay attention to when the kit manufacturer says the wine will peak. Once it peaks, it needs to be consumed before it turns too far south.

I agree with what Robie has said, but let me add one practical point to keep in mind. Bottle aging has the wonderful advantage of allowing you to drink while the wine ages. When you drink the first bottle, 29 others continue to age. Conversely, bulk aging prohibits you from taking a bottle if you want to age but have low self control as you always have to bottle first.

Age 6 months or until sediment stops accumulating, then decide which version, above, is right for you.

Tony P.

Thanks All!

I'd like these nicer kits to turn out well so I will give bulk aging a try. It would be nice if I had a couple 5gal carboys so i could bulk age 5 gals, and bottle 4 bottles and see how different they come out in a year.

Besides getting set up for so2 testing to make sure the proper amount is kept in the wine during aging, are there other things i need to check? I'm sure if I search a bit I may find a detailed how to bulk age thread.

I bulk age in carboys BECAUSE I have little self control. Keeping it in carboy ensures I have wine at 8months or 10 or 12 what ever the case.:dg

I agree with what Robie has said, but let me add one practical point to keep in mind. Bottle aging has the wonderful advantage of allowing you to drink while the wine ages. When you drink the first bottle, 29 others continue to age. Conversely, bulk aging prohibits you from taking a bottle if you want to age but have low self control as you always have to bottle first.

Age 6 months or until sediment stops accumulating, then decide which version, above, is right for you.

Tony P.

Guess I'll have to ship you some of my wine gremlins. They live in the cellar and have figured out how to use the wine theif. Go check on the wine and the level has gone down in the carboy. Get it in bottles and it isn't quite as bad, but the little devils still manage to get some of it. Havn't been able to trap em out of there, so guess I have to live with them. LOL, Arne.

Latest posts

Back