OK, So who's with me????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my answers, drinking includes both wine and beer, I tend to drink more ho-made beer

If you're day drinking on days that aren't an actual special occasion. (these occasions should be countable on one or two hands, within any given year, no removal of shoes and counting on toes as well)
I can count them on two hands for any single week of the year.

If you're finding yourself angry and/or fighting with loved ones on occasion while under the influence. Booze of any sort should be avoided completely, until the real issue is completely resolved.
Only angry, not fighting. I've noticed this has continued without my drinking any alcohol. I find that actions without thought by my family members brings this out best.

If you're unable to cork up an unfinished bottle and save it for the next day, regardless of how early or late it is.
I finish a bottle of beer I open, why not a wine bottle?

If you're waking up the next day, a bit hazy and forgetful of what you did the previous evening.
I do that without drinking, I think it is age related.

If you're over 7 years old, yet under 75, and have wet the bed.
Haven't started doing that yet, so I must be okay.

If you're well past your 21st birthday and have thrown up due to excess drinking.
Never do that, don't want to waste the wine or beer.

If you rely on arbitrary days on a calendar as motivation to help you "take a break" from your "hobby".
Only when @JohnT suggests them, I'm a lemming at heart.

If you're past your mid 20's and still think being able to out-drink your friends makes you cool and/or admirable.
I don't think it makes me cool but I wondered why everyone stopped so early in the evening.

If you find yourself attempting to cure your daily boredom, or lack of motivation, by cracking open a bottle.
Never any boredom in my house with four kids, I think I use it more to dull and slow down the action.

If you find yourself, unable to fall asleep at a regular hour without some liquid assistance.
I'm having no issues sleeping without it, so I think I sleep fine either way. Actually have to get up more often at night because of all this tea I'm drinking.

If you find yourself making a list of potential alcohol related issues, caused by drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, on a website dedicated to helping you make the very best tasting alcohol. :db
Fatness is the only issue I've had so far. Also my A1C up to 5.4, I'd like to lower that and have read that reducing alcohol consumption on a daily basis can help that.

All joking aside, I do need to reduce and refine my consumption patterns. I hope to not drink on school nights, unless it is a sip of a wine I'm racking at the time, and also hope to reduce the amounts I drink on the weekends. I'm sure my Pastor would love it if I didn't snore during his sermon. I'm finding that weight reduction is much easier and I'd like to reduce my size to better my health. I will admit through all of this that my consumption of alcohol is way more ingrained in my daily lifestyle than I thought it was and I need to modify that. So all in all, this has been a very good exercise so far, and I thank @JohnT for suggesting it.

Folks,

Since I do not drink on a school nights, my lent began on the sunday prior to ash Wednesday (2/26/2017) This means that the last day of my lent (40 days) is on 4/6/2017.

So, for me, this is day 19 and I have only 21 days to go!..

All joking aside, I do need to reduce and refine my consumption patterns. I hope to not drink on school nights, unless it is a sip of a wine I'm racking at the time, and also hope to reduce the amounts I drink on the weekends. I'm sure my Pastor would love it if I didn't snore during his sermon. I'm finding that weight reduction is much easier and I'd like to reduce my size to better my health. I will admit through all of this that my consumption of alcohol is way more ingrained in my daily lifestyle than I thought it was and I need to modify that. So all in all, this has been a very good exercise so far, and I thank @JohnT for suggesting it.

Just think, after refining your consumption patterns, it will be that much easier to give it up again next year!!

In the mean time, stay focused. One day at a time my friend... One day at a time!

Since I do not drink on a school nights, my lent began on the sunday prior to ash Wednesday (2/26/2017) This means that the last day of my lent (40 days) is on 4/6/2017.

So, for me, this is day 19 and I have only 21 days to go!..

Easter isn't until the 16th! Good Friday the 14th. :sh My plan is to go until Good Friday, though I give myself a cheat day (and I started a few days later than everyone else). Good Friday will be a nice steak and a bottle of wine though, I can assure you. ;)

Interestingly, I'm finding that I sleep longer on days off since I started this. My wife would probably tell you that I'm snoring less though.

As Craig mentioned, the 'ingrained in the daily routine' part is what is interesting. In the few years I've done this, I've never 'craved' a drink. But the first few/several days in particular, it is interesting getting away from the habit of getting home, starting dinner and pouring a glass of wine. I noticed a similar pattern when I quit smoking over ten years ago. There were certain 'trigger activities' and it was during those that I had a challenge - otherwise, it was fairly easy. I always felt that it was more habit than addiction for me, so maybe that was the case. Though after 18 years of smoking, I'm sure there was some level of dependence.

Last edited:
Just think, after refining your consumption patterns, it will be that much easier to give it up again next year!!

In the mean time, stay focused. One day at a time my friend... One day at a time!

If I can keep my weight off, no way on next year! And I'm focused, way too focused. About to head to the dock to weigh myself, if I'm not lighter, I feel lighter. And much like my last post I'm driving everyone at work nuts. I suspect I will be given a few cases of beer at the end of this and promise never to do it again. I never realized how much fun it is to be annoying!

... There were certain 'trigger activities' and it was during those that I had a challenge - otherwise, it was fairly easy...
My trigger is walking in the door after a long day at work...

Last edited:
I am sorry to say this Lenten season has gotten away from me. Busy with buying the weekend house in Vermont and work just beating me to a pulp everyday I overlooked it this year. I do feel bad and guilty maybe I will do my own 40 days as soon as things calm down. That said I admire JohnT for initiating this every year. Craig you can do it one day at a time.

Go craig. Find a substitute to satisfy your triggers. Sounds like weather you make it or not , and im sureyou will,you are more aware. these things sneak up on us. Achievable goals are key.

Week two complete. Did have to taste the Chileans this weekend when I racked; but between 5 carboys I'd estimate about 3oz total - some of which was spit, but not all.

I believe I've chosen my 'cheat day'. The Cherry Blossom Ten Miler is next Sunday (4/2). What better way to recover from a long run than with some drinking? :) :dg

Welcome to "over the hump"!!

I am now officially more than half way there.

Did a mess of cooking over the weekend and found that I miss wine less and less with each passing meal.

Keep it up folks! The end of lent is in sight!

My wife and I are at 1/2 way. I saw some really nice thick (2" thick) ribeyes at the Giant over the weekend. Not close enough to buy them yet... This morning on my wife's scale I was 220.2 lbs. Couldn't get on the postal scale this morning at work, but the unofficial "other" scale showed I was down two more pounds. At this point my doctor will be happy, any additional loss will just make him go from happy to ecstatic. I think I weighted 242 at my last doctors visit.

I'd also like to say congrats to all of you and offer encouragement on your temporary wagon ride. I tend to agree that it's a habit much like any other and not easy to just turn on or off when it's such a part of what we enjoy. Like JohnT and some of the others, I gave up week night drinking about 4 years ago, mainly to lose a few pounds. I haven't lost or gained any weight in that time but I've gotten used to not heading to the fridge for that after work beer when I get home. I don't know that not drinking 4 nights a week proves anything but I'll admit to really looking forward to Friday nights and that first beer or wine to start the weekend. Stay strong everyone, that first drink in a few weeks is going to taste awesome. Your will power is impressive.

Mike

Today makes day 29 for me (just 11 days left).

On Saturday, My niece had her bridal shower at my brother's house.

Being infested with 38 women, the groom-to-be, the best-man-to-be, and my brother (the FIL to be) were all looking for an escape.

I got the call on Friday. My brother sounded so helpless and strongly hinted that a winery tasting for all of the guys would be very nice. Very nice indeed.

I had to chuckle. He knows how I celebrate lent each year (and I have been trying to get him to also take the pledge) and if this was any other time of year he would have dispensed with the need for an invite and just showed up.

So, during lent, I hosted a wine tasting. I took them through 2 barrel tastings (a 2016 Chilean cab and a 2015 reserve) and 3 tank tastings (2016 montepulciano, 2016 petit sarah, and the 2016 petit sarah).

We ate pizza and then relaxed with some nice cigars.

I just stuck to my diet coke. Piece of cake! Not even a swirl-spit!

The only difficult thing was the lack of feedback on the wine. As they sipped, the faces were non-expressive. I had to pump them for opinions, but I guess that they were reluctant since I am on the wagon.

Just 11 days! just one more weekend without!!!

I have to admit that I am feeling rather good about myself.

Hope all is going well with you folks.

Feeling great here. Was planning on a cheat day this coming Sunday, but now I'm not sure. I'll only have 11 days left until Good Friday at that point, so I may just keep going. We'll see how I feel after the 10 miler. :D

A little less than two weeks to go. Saturday the 18th my wife and I cheated (since we are doing so well with the weight loss and not drinking alcohol) with a glass of wine. I poured a second one but poured most of it out. Made me feel rather uggy and I was tired and fuzzy the next day (and had issues staying awake for my Pastor's sermon). Going to be hard to follow my normal drinking habits when I get done with this, I like being awake and productive during the week at work. Easier to get up in the morning too. Guess that is a good reason to endure this challenge, should help keep the weight off, though I'm finding more calories from my food lately (gained 2 lbs over the weekend), but still nearly 20 lbs lighter than January 1st.

Almost 20 pounds? That's great!

January 1st - 245 lbs
March 1st - 235 lbs
March 27th - 225 lbs

Hmm, 1/1/17 to 3/1/17 - 59 days, 10 lbs, drinking like a fish
3/1/17 to 3/27/17 - 27 days, 10 lbs, absence of alcohol (except one slip-up)

I don't know if there is a pattern emerging or not? But if I can be below/maintain 220 lbs (with clothing) by the end of this, I'll be pretty happy (as will my doctor).

Craig, my battle during the week when not drinking is that I want something sweet after dinner. I trade off the saved alcohol calories for cookies or chocolate calories.
Keep up the battle, 20 lbs is great!
Mike

Latest posts

Back