RJ Spagnols Vanilla Fig port style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started this LE kit before December.
It's been bulk aging in 3gal carboy with an oak spiral.
Racked again today to kmeta.

I don't have my notes now but I think I added a bit of brandy I had (will check notes when back in the office tomorrow).

I want to top off, it may take a hair less than a .375ml bottle.

Called the local liquor store about ever clear but they only have .750ml bottle, 190 proof for $20.00

Taking cost in consideration and the amount I need to top off, is like some thoughts about removing a bit more from carboy to fit the whole contents of the .750ml bottle or that may be way too strong and I should only add what's missing to be conservative.

Worth spending $20.00 ?
Too strong to add a full .750ml bottle?
Can ever clear be bought in .375ml bottle?

I think 375ml of Everclear would make it a bit hot, but I'm just speculating. I haven't done one of those port kits in a while - last one took about 3/4 of a 750ml bottle of brandy and turned out great - had just a touch of a bite early on, then mellowed beautifully. I did chapitalize as well though.

Checked my notes, I did chapitalize just a bit:

SG=1.032 pH ~2.42, added ½ jar of simple syrup and SG ~1.038, temp ~72F

Then later in the process:

Racked off gross lees and added 1 American medium oak spiral and topped off with VSOP 40% ABV/80% proof brandy, maybe around 30% of the brandy bottle (.750ml)

The taste is not hot at all, more on the sweet side.
The SG started at 1.130 and ended at 1.000 before I stabilized.

So I think it will hold some ever clear but I think a bit less than .375 should do it, however I never used ever clear and at 190 proof (is it really that high??) it could overwhelm it and become too hot....:ft

How about some Vodka?

Agree with Jim, why not just stick to the brandy since you have already added it before?

I made this kit (3 gal) about 2 months ago, and it is now bulk aging with a spiral. I added about 1/3 of the included F-pack in two increments during fermentation. It ended up just off dry, so I added the last 1/3 after stabilization, so it was pretty sweet to my taste. It needed alcohol. I chose Everclear to avoid other flavors (brandy) or diluting with water (vodka). I used a whole bottle of Everclear! It is a touch hot, but it is also too syrupy. So my plan is to add some dry red wine before bottling. I've done a couple of small proportional tests with pinot noir and it looks like it may take 2 bottles. It is very good! The dilution with the wine gets rid of the hot taste.

Actually, this was my experimental batch. I ordered two kits to do 6 gallons, but one kit arrived leaking. I decided to ferment it, and see what happened. Well, it turned out more than fine, and I will do the other kits exactly the same way, except I will put this batch in my Vadai. The waiting for this to mature is going to be tough, but I've got the test batch to hold me over.

I used a whole bottle of Everclear! It is a touch hot, but it is also too syrupy. So my plan is to add some dry red wine before bottling. I've done a couple of small proportional tests with pinot noir and it looks like it may take 2 bottles. It is very good! The dilution with the wine gets rid of the hot taste.

You used a .750ml bottle? :sh

Varis,

Yes, I used a 750 ml bottle, but my port was pretty sweet tasting at that point, and it seems that the sweeter the wine, the more alcohol it can tolerate. If I didn't want to post-add wine, I would back off on the Everclear a little; probably 3/4 of a bottle. However, after adding some pinot noir at the end, I really like the added complexity, and it tastes quite balanced.

Greg

Thanks Greg,

I added a full bottle of WE LE14 Super Tuscan to top off when I added the fpack at the end. During primary I added about 40% of the fpack, so our process was a bit similar.

I really think mine will be fine adding some ever clear, maybe .375ml will do it, I just cannot find that size, my local shops have it in .750ml.

Thanks Greg,

I added a full bottle of WE LE14 Super Tuscan to top off when I added the fpack at the end. During primary I added about 40% of the fpack, so our process was a bit similar.

I really think mine will be fine adding some ever clear, maybe .375ml will do it, I just cannot find that size, my local shops have it in .750ml.

Take the remaining 375ml and make some limoncello.

Take the remaining 375ml and make some limoncello.

Are you reading my mind....:h

I was thinking about this last night but one I never made limoncello (but I'm sure I can look it up online) and 2nd I was thinking if the $20 'investment of the ever clear would add a huge value to this port style wine.

Maybe I will take the plunge....:pee

Varis,

Yeah, I've never seen a small bottle of Everclear either. So use half and save the balance for the next batch! Remember, that bottle of Everclear has the same amount of ethanol as two bottles of most vodkas.

I have a good bottle of "real" Port that I like, and the alcohol content is 20%, so I was shooting for that. I have a little tester that I got in France the indicates alcohol content based on surface tension. Not the most accurate device, but it shows that I hit 20%.

Greg

Sounds good, I guess I'll take the plunge and get the .750ml bottle, wish they had it at Costco.
Will make limoncello for the first time....:db

Sounds good, I guess I'll take the plunge and get the .750ml bottle, wish they had it at Costco.
Will make limoncello for the first time....:db

@Kraffty recently posted his recipe and from what I recall, it will scale easily.

I called a local store and they have grain liquor 190 prrof in .375ml and .750ml and 1L bottles, he said it is not 'Everclear' but it is the same thing.
So I'm heading over later and checking it out.

Waiting to see @Kraffty recipe.

Latest posts

Back