RJ Spagnols RJS 2017 RQ1 Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the time of the 2nd racking I was all set to make some modifications . . . adding more oak, F-pacs or possibly dark chocolate. Upon tasting and seeing my wife's positive reaction I decided that no mods were needed. I hope I find similar results in the future.

I'm interested if this is still your position two months later - no mods necessary?

Just checked the carboy this weekend and the SG has not moved a bit, still at 1.010 and the wine is still sweet. The underlying flavor is good and I don't want to mess with it, but I do want it to dry out. I just started the 2nd kit of the same style on Sunday.

Plan "B" is to complete an extended maceration on the 2nd kit and inoculate the first batch with some of the active must from the 2nd kit. Hopefully, adding back some similar live yeast, combined with a couple degree temp increase, will stimulate the original batch to complete fermentation without altering the flavor profile.

I'm still holding out hope that the original batch goes dry so I am not adding sorbate unless it becomes my last resort. I am seeing positive air pressure in the airlock, but I have yet to witness an actual bubble passing through.

I also started an RJS Eclipse Merlot this weekend so there will be blending possibilities down the road.

Just checked the carboy this weekend and the SG has not moved a bit, still at 1.010 and the wine is still sweet. The underlying flavor is good and I don't want to mess with it, but I do want it to dry out. I just started the 2nd kit of the same style on Sunday.

I'm still holding out hope that the original batch goes dry so I am not adding sorbate unless it becomes my last resort. I am seeing positive air pressure in the airlock, but I have yet to witness an actual bubble passing through.

I also started an RJS Eclipse Merlot this weekend so there will be blending possibilities down the road.

How long have you been at this SG in the secondary? Temp? If you haven't, try to get the temp up to 70* and give it a good stir. If you have and it's been a long time, you might drop a third to a half of an EC-1118 yeast packet.

I'm about 10 days ahead of you on the RQ Merlot. It's in secondary at around 1.000 and dropping.

Thanks for the tip. I actually put the carboy on the warming mat (plant seed starter) a few days ago to bring the temp up. I think I will follow your advise and drop some EC-1118 in.

Would you hydrate the yeast or pitch it dry?

BTW ... I have a 2nd batch just finishing up primary (hit .998 on Saturday) and I tried innoculating the stuck batch with some active must from the 2nd. So far no action. I was considering splash racking to a fresh carboy and then pitching the EC-1118. Your thoughts?

Thanks for the tip. I actually put the carboy on the warming mat (plant seed starter) a few days ago to bring the temp up. I think I will follow your advise and drop some EC-1118 in.

Would you hydrate the yeast or pitch it dry?

BTW ... I have a 2nd batch just finishing up primary (hit .998 on Saturday) and I tried innoculating the stuck batch with some active must from the 2nd. So far no action. I was considering splash racking to a fresh carboy and then pitching the EC-1118. Your thoughts?

The limited times I've done it, I just sprinkled it dry.

If you bring the temp up, give it a good stir and there's no change in SG after a week, I'd say, yes - go ahead with the alternative and add yeast. But, that's me and I've only been making wine a couple years now.

I got a taste of my RQ Cab (it's been in clearing for about two weeks) and decided to drop 45g of French Med+ Oak Cubes into the carboy.

I'm seeing a case or two of Bordeaux in my future (blending this and the RQ French Merlot).

Last edited:
Six months later and the RQ French Cab is in the bottle. We're 10 months into this project. I added 2gr of Tannin Riche Extra about a month of so ago.

The yield is pretty good, too. 27 bottles of 750ml, and 8 bottles of 375ml.

I'll let this sit on the shelf to age another 8 months or so... maybe get a taste at 1.5 years old.

Six months later and the RQ French Cab is in the bottle. We're 10 months into this project. I added 2gr of Tannin Riche Extra about a month of so ago.

The yield is pretty good, too. 27 bottles of 750ml, and 8 bottles of 375ml.

I'll let this sit on the shelf to age another 8 months or so... maybe get a taste at 1.5 years old.
I'm trying to think of a bottle I can trade for one of those, but I think my best candidates are still in the carboy. Maybe a Pinot Noir, Vieux Chateau du Roi or a straight Lanza Zin? I think the local Cab Franc is too light, would have to give you two bottles of that one...Oh or maybe a WE SE Int'l Malbec, but I think you still have some of those...

I'm trying to think of a bottle I can trade for one of those, but I think my best candidates are still in the carboy. Maybe a Pinot Noir, Vieux Chateau du Roi or a straight Lanza Zin? I think the local Cab Franc is too light, would have to give you two bottles of that one...Oh or maybe a WE SE Int'l Malbec, but I think you still have some of those...

I have some Malbec left, sure. But, I oaked my a little heavy. If you did yours by the book, it would make a nice comparison. Your Brunello is pretty awesome, too.

It's got time and there's a bottle here for you.

Mrs Mann asking me to bring up a half bottle of something from the cellar and I had to choose between the Aussie Pinot Noir (I tasted last month and it needs another 3-6 months), the Barolo (I tasted earlier this month and it needs another year at least) or this Cab that I haven't tasted yet and is nearly a year old.

Easy choice.

Young, dark and very oaky. If this were a regular EP instead of an RQ, I would likely buy this all this time and keep plenty in stock. It is substantially better than the Eclipse Lodi Cab was at 2 years.

Since I made this with my brother, we're splitting the batch. It's going to hurt my feelings to part with half of this stuff. [emoji22]

I have used up all of the sweet (final SG 1.010) RQ Cab Sauv batch at this point. While this kit did not come out as planned it still made a really nice contribution to several other wines I had in progress. Blending this into other fully dry reds really added flavor and a hint of sweetness. My screw-up turned out to be a blessing for dressing up other cheaper kits and experiments. Not an economical means of tweaking, but at least it wasn't wasted.

The last 2 gallons were blended (1 gal each) into 5 gal of RQ Cab Sauv and 5 gal of Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot. Both of those taste quite good at 1o months and will likely be going into bottles soon. I think they will improve further with maturity, but for my taste they are ready to go now. By the time we get to the 2nd case of each they should be hitting their peak. I also have a Master Vintner OV Cab Sauv in progress and I don't think the flavor is near as rich and bold. It's only 5 months old and certainly has a way to go, but it is thinner and less vibrant than the RQ Cab Sauv.

Interesting. I posted and it disappeared. We had a half bottle with dinner tonight. It’s a little over a year old, but is really quite good. Deep color, full body, adequately oaked and mellowing nicely. I have to imagine that in another year, it will be exceptional.

Got the final blend bottled. Somehow I ended up with 31 bottles . . . not complaining. Really delicious now and likely to improve with time. About 13 months old at this point.

I'm very happy with this kit and there's a good chance I will pony up the $$ for RQ kits from RJS in the future. Already invested in the 2018 Carmenere.

Attachments

• IMG_20180716_204042.jpg
    IMG_20180716_204042.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
Already invested in the 2018 Carmenere.

I just pulled the trigger on purchasing the RQ 2018 Carmenere. It doesn't really fit in my finances at the moment, but I've just recently discovered Carmenere, and $123 delivered for an 18L kit with skins was too good to pass up.

I just pulled the trigger on purchasing the RQ 2018 Carmenere. It doesn't really fit in my finances at the moment, but I've just recently discovered Carmenere, and $123 delivered for an 18L kit with skins was too good to pass up.

I hope you enjoy it. I started the Carmenere just after it arrived in late February (notes say a 2/21 yeast pitch). I let it sit on the skins a while and did the first 3 month racking at 6/9. Tasted it last weekend and I think it has very good flavor. Deep and rich with some spiciness. Almost makes me want to skip the bulk aging and bottle it right up. Of course, that would lead to premature consumption. The next tough decision will be how much (if any) oak to apply.

I hope you enjoy it. I started the Carmenere just after it arrived in late February (notes say a 2/21 yeast pitch). I let it sit on the skins a while and did the first 3 month racking at 6/9. Tasted it last weekend and I think it has very good flavor. Deep and rich with some spiciness. Almost makes me want to skip the bulk aging and bottle it right up. Of course, that would lead to premature consumption. The next tough decision will be how much (if any) oak to apply.
After doing a 9 week EM on mine and letting it clear I thought it needed more oak, gave it 65 grams french medium toast, it will have sat on oak 3 months this weekend. Time to rack and taste.

After doing a 9 week EM on mine and letting it clear I thought it needed more oak, gave it 65 grams french medium toast, it will have sat on oak 3 months this weekend. Time to rack and taste.

Be sure to post your tasting comments either here or start a new thread. I have a couple different oak options on hand, but I was leaning toward either the Hungarian Med or the French Med +. I probably should have gone for a longer maceration, but I'm fairly pleased with the taste profile at this point. Good luck!

Got the final blend bottled. Somehow I ended up with 31 bottles . . . not complaining. Really delicious now and likely to improve with time. About 13 months old at this point.

I'm very happy with this kit and there's a good chance I will pony up the $$ for RQ kits from RJS in the future. Already invested in the 2018 Carmenere.

Good looking bottles, I always like seeing matching capsules.

Latest posts

Back