Need Advice on Fruit Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lt9553

Junior
Reaction score
I started my Black Currant/Cherry wine one week ago 7-26-09. I mixed one can of Black Currant and one can of Cherry Vinters Harvest. I followed all the directions and my initial SG was 1.091. The can says to rack the wine once the SG hits 1.040 or below and top off. So on Sunday 8-2 the SG was 1.031 so I racked to the carboy and topped off. The next step says to wait 4 weeks then add claifier and rack again and wait 2-3 months. Then it says wine can be consumed after aging.

My question is did I screw up by topping off because:
1. I had wine in my air lock this morning
2. Do i de-gas and if soI guess i will have to transfer it to a primary to have room for expansion.

When do i de-gas? My experience is oneWE kit and I was trying to do the same things. Any help would be appreciated.Sorry for long post just trying to give all info. Thanks Adam

lt9553 said:
I started my Black Currant/Cherry wine one week ago 7-26-09. I mixed one can of Black Currant and one can of Cherry Vinters Harvest. I followed all the directions and my initial SG was 1.091. The can says to rack the wine once the SG hits 1.040 or below and top off. So on Sunday 8-2 the SG was 1.031 so I racked to the carboy and topped off. The next step says to wait 4 weeks then add claifier and rack again and wait 2-3 months. Then it says wine can be consumed after aging.

My question is did I screw up by topping off because:
1. I had wine in my air lock this morning
2. Do i de-gas and if soI guess i will have to transfer it to a primary to have room for expansion.

When do i de-gas? My experience is oneWE kit and I was trying to do the same things. Any help would be appreciated.Sorry for long post just trying to give all info. Thanks Adam

The wine was still fermenting @ 1.031. Transferring and topping off left no room for the bubbles to go except up the airlock. (you added to much water in topping it off) Take 750ml out and put in a wine bottle with airlock.
Next time do not top off till AFTER you degas.
Now wait till the wine goes dry then degas and add finnings.

I agree with Tom's post. never top up until your wine is done fermenting and after you have degassed as that room is needed to degas. Adding the fining agent will also take up some of that space to so I always add that first and then top off.

Latest posts

Back