Mosti Mondiale Yeah! I just won a Est! Est! Est! limited kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_québec

Reaction score
There was a contest from Mosti mondiale at my LHBS.

i had to find the meaning of the "Est est est" expression

i think mosti contest gave 50 kit to all aprticipant and i won one!!!
i will get the free Rosso Toscana when it will be ship in store (probably next week)

and since i had pre-order it i told the lady to get me a Rosso D'avola instead
smiley4.gif

smiley32.gif

To make it short....

"Est! Est!! Est!!!" is a semi-sweet white wine with a small amount of effervescence and mild, fruity flavors, made from trebbiano and malvasia grapes. It's typical of the lands around the Italian town of Montefiascone, north of Rome.

Montefiascone has a long tradition of wine making (its name, "mons flasconis", means "mountain of the flask of wine"); a letter written by Pope Innocenzo IV back in 1353 underscores the importance of wineries in the economy of those lands.

"Est" is Latin for "Is", so the name of the wine is "Is, is, is".

I am not making this up.

According to the legend, in 1110 a German bishop named Giovanni Deuc (whose name is variously spelled as Johannes Defuk or Johan Fugger) was travelling to Rome for the coronation of Henry V.

Since he loved good wine, he instructed his servant Martino to travel ahead of him, stopping at every tavern to sample the cellars. Martino would indicate to his master the best places where to stop by writing the word "est" on the door, meaning that "(the wine) is (good)".

When the bishop reached Montefiascone, he was delighted to read "Est! Est!! Est!!!" on the door of the tavern. He apparently drank too much of that excellent wine, since he died there and on his tombstone you can read the epitaph "Per il troppo EST! qui giace morto il mio signore Giovanni Deuc" ("Because of too much Est! here lies dead my lord Giovanni Deuc").

Every August the town commemorates the death of the bishop with a festival where the "Est!" flows freely.

Good info David and thanks for sharing that with us. Congrats on a really wonderful prize to win also.

It's stories like that that make learning about wine fun. Congradulations and thanks for the wonderful story.

I would have participated in this contest, but for lack of room. Hopefully, that will change soon.

BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed the history lession. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back