Please help, I'm a newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dozer15

Junior
Reaction score
Brand new to site and wine making but it sounds like a lot of fun. I don't know how to get started. Would a kit be the best place to start and then try recipes from there?

Yes - Kits are a good place to start because they have a high success rate and will give you confidence and you can learn the art. Once you have a few under your belt then you can try concentrates, then frozen grape buckets and maybe even grow your own.

OH - forgot. Welcome to the site. This is a really good site and the people are nice. Make sure you complete all your profile info so we know where you are from and when you ask questions its good to provide too much information rather than quick questions without any background. Most of us will want to know all the info before we give advice.

You will like wine making. Its very fun and rewarding, not to mention cost effective for the quality of wine you can enjoy!!

welcome!!! and yup kits r great!! i started with em and still use em (specialy a brezzing or mist kit when i dont wanna wait to age LOL)

Thanks for the advise and I will update my profile. Any other advise as to finding a reasonably priced kit?

Call George here http://www.finevinewines.com/
Always better to start with a (kit) wine you like. George can help you out as well as steering you to the right equipment starter kit.

Dozer:

There are two meanings for the word kit.

I suspect that you meant an equipment kit, ie pail, carboy, accessories.

I think that most of the above responses meant "yes buy a wine kit", ie a box containing grape juice/concentrate, yeast, additives, and instructions.

Tom has the right idea. Contact a reputable retailer and get both, If there isn't one local to you, then contact George as Tom suggested.

If we knew where you lived (even just the area of the state or province), we might be able to recommend a local retailer.

Steve

Welcome to the world of winemaking. It truly is an enjoyable experience.

My membership is still to new so I cannot post links, however, home brewer post (google it) is a great site.

They have nearly everything you could think of and all at great prices. The frequently run free shipping promotions to top it off. Of course if you can find a local retailer that will help tremendously...I will warn you that their pricing is always much higher (sometimes as much as 40% higher). But you really can't put a pricetag on advice and having a readily available source as questions arise.

Welcome my friend. As eveyone has said, a wine kit is a really good place to start just in the fact that it comes with instructions and ingredients that have been proven to work.

You'll also need the equipment that can be bought individually or in a kit as well. I think whether you get an equipment kit or not depends on how much research you do beforehand. You might find you've paid for things that you don't use or decide later to get a different model of something. But on the other hand a kit really gives you everything you need to make a lot of wine and see if it's something you want to invest more time and/or money into.

Call George here http://www.finevinewines.com/
Always better to start with a (kit) wine you like. George can help you out as well as steering you to the right equipment starter kit.

Give George a call just like Tom said. George has great customer service and won't try to sell you things you won't need. His equipment kits are good and you'll get a first time buyers discount.
Welcome to the site.

I also say go to http://finevinewines.com/ as you can get a really good deal on a equipment kit that will include a wine kit so the combo of them both is an even bigger savings plus being a new customer youll get a 10% discount. Tell George I sent you over. There maybe cheaper deals out there but I and many others here will tell you that if something goes wrong getting your money back at another place will like pulling teeth or your just up the creek without a paddle, not with George, hell refund you right back or send you out what needs to be replaced in a hurry!

Latest posts

Back