Loquat Wine ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Just heard from our daughter in Southern California that her 3 Loquat trees are producing.... a lot of fruit.

Anyone ever made wine with them? I've never tasted them even but...Who knows. Maybe a brandy or liquor from the fruit.

@Scooter68, I have made loquat wine. Family member in TX has a large tree and shipped us a bunch of them a few years ago.

Here is an older WMT thread that might be helpful, though there may be some confusion on this thread between "Japanese Plum" and loquats, see last post: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39279

Loquats frozen, then thawed, have a strong smell of almonds or amaretto. It is very interesting. Mine fermented very fast and I think it blew off a lot of the aroma. It did come back to some extent in the secondary, but it was VERY difficult to clear. I later learned they have a lot of pectin. According to my notes I hit it with just about everything in an effort to clear it, and by the time I got it clear it was pretty much stripped.

If I ever get a chance to do it over, I will do the following:

50/50 citric/tartaric for the acid (no malic)
Double or triple dose pectic enzyme preferment and at least 24 hours on the enzyme before pitching yeast
Bentonite on day 3 of the ferment.
Cool ferment

I agree fermenting at a low temp and trying for a slow ferment should also help with the aroma issue. That would mean keeping it in my basement where it stays 55-60 until late summer. That would at least let me get fermentation done and well into aging before temps rise.

Thanks for the response and the tips I just asked the daughter to save me enough for a 1 gallon batch to try it out. Now I need to save that recipe and the various tips to get me through the process.

Only problem with that recipe is that the amount of seeds varies from fruit to fruit / tree to tree. I always prefer a quantities that are real - the amount that actually goes into the batch.

My batch has 4 lbs after de-seeding and de-steming but with skins.

Also the amount of acid blend would never have cut it for this batch. I ended up adding over 4 tsps of acid to get the pH down to 3.49
1/2 tsp Acid Blend
2 1/2 tsp Citric Acid
1 3/4 tsp Tartaric Acid

Latest posts

Back