My Very First Wine - Mango Style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course if the ABV is as high as 16-17% you can always back-sweeten well and have an excellent dessert wine. That would also make it last longer as you would normally service smaller amounts of a dessert wine.

I'm not sure on that yet. I don't want to drink something that tastes like rocket fuel but I don't want to dilute out the mango too much. I'm thinking I might split the recipe in two and dilute one half with mango juice to bring down the alcohol content and sweeten and bottle the other half hopefully without much dilution. This way I increase the odds of having something tasty. I'll also get to are how aging decreases the jet fuel aftertaste in high alcohol wines. From your experience does againg cut down on that?

Of course if the ABV is as high as 16-17% you can always back-sweeten well and have an excellent dessert wine. That would also make it last longer as you would normally service smaller amounts of a dessert wine.

Lol you would think but id probably end up with a table of really drunk friends. But I do like the idea of trying to keep the percent alcohol up. This would be my first dessert wine :) I also thought about it being good to mix with sparking water like a reverse memosa or something.

I'm not near as bright as the rest here, but my country wines run 13% to 18%, with proper aging the come very smooth, I am a country hillbilly, I have row crop famers with 8000 acres or more, Judges , lawyers, police officers, politicians, business men, and grey matter people at my deep woods home for cases of wine, they only buy the bottles fruits an chemicals, all their wives send them .lol. I only do country wines from scratch, so a little higher ABV, is not a problem, I make close to 200 gallons a year, 50 for me the rest for they others, my are hi anti-oxidant type wines for my health, theirs are candy that kicks like a mule but don't taste harsh at all, (time) , time smooth's your white wines quickly, reds longer,,,, 1 year for white 2 year for reds ,pear, pineapple, , I got and order this year for a skeeter pee port still wondering how that's going to taste,( skeeter pee ,, lemon wine,,,,)
Dawg

Yes sorry. Only 2% left to ferment. Its around 13% alcohol from what has fermented so there is a slight jetfuel aftertaste.

I'll definitely try a nice long aging and see how that goes. I need to work on becoming more patient lol

We've made quite a few mango wines over the years, and yes... a year or two in bottle will smooth things out. Not sure it will help with a high alcohol though. I think the backsweetening idea is probably the safe bet, get a bit more flavor to compete with the alcohol. Mango should be fairly sweet anyway. Things we've learned over the years... ferment at lower temps; this helps keep the aromatics and keeps the flavors crisp. We use fresh mangoes, and have found that really ripe mangos that taste delicious, tend to have an over-ripe flavor in wine; using "just ripe" fruit works well.

I havent made from fresh mango yet, but I would definitely imagine you would get a fuller flavor using ripe mangoes over mango juice. I have some frozen mangoes from costco in the freezer to try out once this batch finishes. In general, how many pounds of mango do you use to make the wine? Do you also add any other juices? For this one I did a combo of mango and grape juice.

We've made pure mango, mango mead, mango/peach/apricot, and mango Liebfraumilch. There are a few different kinds of mangoes, and some have more pulp than others. I'll have to check my notes on weight of fruit, and sugar and water additions, but I can definitely say there's a huge amount of loss due to the fibrous pulp.

Back