Cynthiana Second Run

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnuscan

Tnuscan=Tennesseean
Reaction score
Starting with a pH of 3.85 this was brought down to 3.58 and at 6 months is as enjoyable as some nice wines I drink at 20+ dollars a bottle.

I remember saying after mlf finished I wouldn't ever do a second run again. Boy am I eating my words tonight.

2nd run? Norton goes for $20 down here in North GA ;)

Yes LOL. I had read that some people thought it was a waste of time. I thought I would at least give it a go. Brought the brix to 22 and let it roll. I thought I could use it to teach myself acid additions and cold stabilization, worse case scenario.

I was going to smaller vessels from testing and insted of using a half gallon container I put it in bottles and thought I would take a bottle and drink to see what the character would be like.

Expecting it to be a flop, I was excited to find a nice little wine to consume. Plus I'll have over 60 bottles of this to enjoy while the other wines age.

:db

I almost always make a second run of any grapes that I'm making wine from. I,ve got some norton that is ready to bottle that is just six months old and is delicious! It might not make it to the bottles!

I almost always do a second run on Norton. I figure for the price of some sugar I get a nice slightly lighter version of Norton wine. I think of it as an alternative to a Pinot noir.

Thanks guys! Do you have a spray program for Norton? I heard they are sensitive to many fungicides...

I've never had to use any sprays on my nortons. I live on a windy hill, and have never had an issue with any of the grape diseases. I planted the first nortons over eight years ago, and credit the airflow for the health of the vines. If the wind doesn't blow in Ks, it sucks!::

I sprayed for the first time last year due to high number of Japanese beetles.

Well, my back hurts! I just got my verona in the ground, and it was a pita. We have been getting rain right along, and the ground was just sticky goo, but I got them mudded in! Would have hated to have had to plant fifty, I ordered 25, and Dell Schott at Bevins Creek Nursury sent another. They were really great to deal with.

Well, my back hurts! I just got my verona in the ground, and it was a pita. We have been getting rain right along, and the ground was just sticky goo, but I got them mudded in! Would have hated to have had to plant fifty, I ordered 25, and Dell Schott at Bevins Creek Nursury sent another. They were really great to deal with.

Congrats! Yeah 50 was pretty brutal. I dug the holes with a mini excavator, but it was still a ton of digging by hand.

How much wine came off of those skins to start with? It seems to me that I have heard of this expressed as a fraction of the original wine volume (rather than comparing to the volume of skins).

I am also going to try a "sloppy seconds," and, sort of randomly, I am going to use 1/2 the amount of water as the amount of first-run wine. I would be interested to hear what more experienced hands say!

Following.
I would also love to see a picture of this second run Norton wine. Just interested in how deep the color is.

How much wine came off of those skins to start with? It seems to me that I have heard of this expressed as a fraction of the original wine volume (rather than comparing to the volume of skins).

I am also going to try a "sloppy seconds," and, sort of randomly, I am going to use 1/2 the amount of water as the amount of first-run wine. I would be interested to hear what more experienced hands say!

It was 176 lbs of grapes, yielded 10 gallons or so after second racking, lots of sediment after the first.

Latest posts

Back