What to make next?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skycarp

Junior
Reaction score
Sooooo, i have a bunch of misc fruit in the freezer, some of it i have plans for, but there is a couple of fruits i dont have enough of to make a batch of wine with. I prefer 5g or 3g batches.

I was hopeing to get some input on which of my fruit to use in combo to make a 5 or 3 gallon batch or batches. I have a strong hatred of 1g batches...everytime i make a 1g exprimental batch it turns out way to good and leaves me wishing i made a 5g batch. Any suggestions or recipes would be much appreciated.

The following is a list of available fruits and how much of each i have.
3lbs raspberry
12lb rhubarb
80lb elderberry (black)
15lb cranberries
8lb chokecherry
30 ruby red grapefruits
40 blood oranges
40 naval oranges
40 Valencia oranges?
Maybe 5lb blue elderberries
15lb fresh frozen strawberries
8 lbs supermarket frozen strawberries
20lb fresh frozen plums

All elderberries black an blue, plum, raspberries, ever get a chance try for a 5 or 6 gal batch 20lbs pear , 10lbs granny Smith apples 10lbs yellow dlisious apples and 3lbs crab apples age 2 years, you'll be one stingie venter.. use k1v-1116 10lbs sugar no tanning, after one year back sweeten to 1.020 wait one more year in the bottles, just my half cents worth

Dawg

BTW where is that freezer lol

Dawg

BTWQUOTE=Skycarp;638773]Sooooo, i have a bunch of misc fruit in the freezer, some of it i have plans for, but there is a couple of fruits i dont have enough of to make a batch of wine with. I prefer 5g or 3g batches.

I was hopeing to get some input on which of my fruit to use in combo to make a 5 or 3 gallon batch or batches. I have a strong hatred of 1g batches...everytime i make a 1g exprimental batch it turns out way to good and leaves me wishing i made a 5g batch. Any suggestions or recipes would be much appreciated.

The following is a list of available fruits and how much of each i have.
3lbs raspberry
12lb rhubarb
80lb elderberry (black)
15lb cranberries
8lb chokecherry
30 ruby red grapefruits
40 blood oranges
40 naval oranges
40 Valencia oranges?
Maybe 5lb blue elderberries
15lb fresh frozen strawberries
8 lbs supermarket frozen strawberries
20lb fresh frozen plums[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dawg! If my wife hacks my account and reads this, I am sure she will gladly send you my "horders freezer" as she calls it. I have elderberries thawing for a 5g batch. But i might just throw together the remaining ingredients as you stated. Would the plum and elderberries drown out any flavor from the raspberries?

What it will ddo is give you a uneak flavor, it'll be fruity full flavor and enjoyable, but will not taste of each fruit hence the reason for blßnds, notice the pear applfe blend both apple types are not wine type apples but end up my. Number one in demand followed by blackberry, the trick to killer BlackBerry is double the fruit , check out homewinery.com there concentrates beats golden harvest and vintgers harvest by miles,
Give em a try on one batch you'll be sold
Dawg
QUOTE=Skycarp;638778]Thanks Dawg! If my wife hacks my account and reads this, I am sure she will gladly send you my "horders freezer" as she calls it. I have elderberries thawing for a 5g batch. But i might just throw together the remaining ingredients as you stated. Would the plum and elderberries drown out any flavor from the raspberries?[/QUOTE]

Right now besides the pear/apple blends I got going I got a sour cherry/peach blend as well as pure of each, my blend are very favored, I make my several reg7lar wines yearly but I try. To do two new each year, this year will be persimmon and muscadine. I've drank boat loads of muscadine in my life. But never. Made any, oops three this year sassafras wine, I've made an drank sassafras tea for years but wine be getting small roots as they start to bud always uuse the small roots skin the bark off an use only the root bark, will do a gallon of it as well ido all six gallon batches , but I'm going to try for a one gallon hard root beer wine, need a recipe for old time root beer or sasperilia ,,
Dawg

UOTE=Skycarp;638778]Thanks Dawg! If my wife hacks my account and reads this, I am sure she will gladly send you my "horders freezer" as she calls it. I have elderberries thawing for a 5g batch. But i might just throw together the remaining ingredients as you stated. Would the plum and elderberries drown out any flavor from the raspberries?[/QUOTE]

Give or take a pound or two....went on picking binge once i found em' and didnt realize how many i had until i got home. I just couldn't let the birds and bears get ALL of them.

I planted native elderberries all around my place,no more looking, easy to grow cut any cane after third year, do you make your elderberry sweet, semi-sweet or dry, I love sweet myself, as well I put extra back elderberry ain't proper younger then eight year old but ten is better, I started to nmany different wines this year,, only got six gallon aging ,, but good lord willing I'll go for around 30 gallons of elderberry this year,,
Dawg

QUOTE=Skycarp;639175]Give or take a pound or two....went on picking binge once i found em' and didnt realize how many i had until i got home. I just couldn't let the birds and bears get ALL of them.[/QUOTE]

Give or take a pound or two....went on picking binge once i found em' and didnt realize how many i had until i got home. I just couldn't let the birds and bears get ALL of them.

You have enough elderberries to make plenty of elderberry...straight, elderberry rosé. This is a link to my elderberry blush wine experiment and so far method A and method B are easy, clean (little to no green goo) and better tasting. Have you made elderberry already?

You have enough plums to try this recipe. I tried it without the plum juice but with persimmons. Initially it was really good. The last bottle I tried was only so-so, but to be fair it is still maturing.

I've made plenty of different citrus wines. I can't honestly say any of them have been really good. Your citrus may paradoxically require more acid - I'd use citric acid - to keep it from being flat. Citrus like kumquat, calamondin, sour oranges have enough acid but Valencias, tangerines, and eating oranges tend to be low acid and sweeter.

I think cranberry and oranges together could make a really nice wine. The cranberries would bring the needed acid. You could make them together or make them separate and blend.

Of course, strawberry and rhubarb is a classic combination. Keep us posted.

Stressbaby, i have never made an elderberry wine before, ( actually just started a 5g batch tonight based a recipe from Jack Kellers site) thats probably why i picked so many to begin with...but i am considering a "seconds" batch with the pulp.

All of the citrus was an impulse buy on a trip to SanDiego. The blood oranges i have plans for, as well as the Grapefruit. I just bottled a batch of sweet limes, that showed exceptional promise prior to bottling. Still bulk aging a batch of grapefruit hopeing the bite will mellow out a bit though. I love the idea of a cranberry orange blend. That one might be next up after the elderberry.

I am rather new to this winemaking thing. But i have read alot and tried to learn about it for a couple years prior to my first attempt. Most the items on my list are wines i have not made yet, but plan to. Im still a little hesitant to try blends which i dont have a recipe for.

To date i have made the followig wines. Strawberry, bing cherry, lime, grapefruit, plum, birch sap, white grape/birch sap, pluot, and serviceberry. My wife and sister in law disovered the plum while i was out of town, so i only got 5 bottles out of the 3 gallos i made. It was the first batch I ever made and they got me hooked. I will keep ya'll posted on the elderberry and what comes after that. Thaks for the advice

Latest posts

Back