Dogfish Head 60 min IPA clone try #1

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceeaton

slowly going nuts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA clone Try #1

9 lbs Avangard Pale Malt
8 oz 80L Crystal Malt
1 lb MF Amber Dry Extract (I know, cheating a bit)
8 oz Sugar
24 g Warrior Hops 15.8% AA, added in 2 g increments every 5 min from 60 min to 5 min left in boil
24 g Simcoe Hops 12.9% AA, added in 2 g increments every 5 min from 60 min to 5 min left in boil
12 g Palisade Hops 8.5% AA, added in 2 g increments every 5 min from 30 min to 5 min left in boil
WLP007 - Dry English Ale Yeast

? oz/g Amarillo Hops 7% AA Dry hop
? oz/g Glacier Hops 4.9% AA Dry hop
? oz/g Palisade Hops 8.5% AA Dry hop

Mash grains at 152*F (2 hrs in igloo cylindrical cooler)
Mash out to 170*F
Sparge to 7.25 gallons
75 minute boil (hops after hot break forms, usually 15 minutes)

Expected SG of 1.065 for 5.25 gallons
Expected IBUs of 58 - may raise that and steep some Palisade Hops for 20 minutes when chilling the wort
Estimated 6.9% ABV

Plan on fermenting at 65*F ambient temperature
May have to bottle (arg!) this one since it will need a bit of aging

Edit: Sparged 8 gallons of wort, need to up the boil to 90 minutes, oh well, I just got a 30 pack of beer so should only cost a few more beers.

Edit 2: Did finish at SG 1.065, so all is good. Pitched yeast before dinner, temp of wort was 68*F.

Last edited:
Some brew day images. I actually had a blast adding hops every 5 minutes. Kept me busy and I didn't get super duper drunk while making this batch. Usually add a bunch of hops at 60, 30 and 10 minutes and get a nice nose full of hops, but this adding a little at a time kept up a nice aroma, just not real strong. Can't wait to try this one in a few months to see what the differences are with continuous hop additions.

1-14-17_beer-1.jpg

1-14-17_beer-2.jpg

1-14-17_beer-3.jpg

did a Pilners today...can and a kilo style...in the ferm chamber and cleaned up in under an hour.

I did have to boil a gallon of water, use a can opener, and a pair of scissors. Only addition was an oz of bitter orange peel, after which I took a long nap.:sl

just a simple fizzy yellow lawnmower beer. I know it is not "real beer brewing" but we like the beer and it stupid simple to make!

I'm not an IPA guy...like hops, but I don't like drinking pine trees. Some IPA's are just way over done in my opinion. This Pilsner has 17.5 IBU....may actually have to use your imagination to taste the hops!!:h

I know it is not "real beer brewing" but we like the beer and it stupid simple to make!

Okay, it's simple, you like it...what's not to like? I don't get caught up in arguments that one method is better than another. The method that works to give you beer you like is the correct method. The mashing and sparging and boiling and throwing a few grams of hops in every five minutes is just fun for me. I love to cook and beer making (and wine making) are just extensions to that. Also a good time to drink a few while I'm whipping up a batch for 5 to 6 hours. So I raise my piney glass of IPA up to you and your simple beer...if you like it I'd keep doing it, because your making it for your happiness, not someone else's (unless you have a wife hanging in the shadows, make her happy first, then proceed with your happiness).

Craig...I really wanna do it right someday. My problem is time and ROOM. too many hobbies and not enough room to store all the gear. That and I don't drink much. Fact is, I should hunt and fish more....I eat every day!

I think YOU should get a barbque pit, smoker...you could brew beer, smoke briskets, chickens, and pork while you brew beer....heat water/start fire...mash in/rub meat...add hops/add wood...and drink beer the whole time!

I think YOU should get a barbque pit, smoker...you could brew beer, smoke briskets, chickens, and pork while you brew beer....heat water/start fire...mash in/rub meat...add hops/add wood...and drink beer the whole time!

Behind and also to the right of the middle image are a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker (Bullet) and a New Braunfels 1280 equivalent smoker. Don't get to use them all the time, but I try to bring the Weber out to play every few weeks if I can. The larger New Braunfels is usually reserved for larger parties and doing multiple racks of ribs or multiple turkeys, which doesn't happen too often (but wish it would).

Been blurping right along since Sunday late afternoon. The Dry English Ale yeast (WLP007) takes some time to get rolling with the first generation, especially without a large starter. Really nice hop aroma coming through the airlock, looking forward to sampling this one down the road.

1-16-17_60-min-ipa.jpg

Craig,

Question for you. How much did you end up spending for the ingredients to make this? I am guessing you end up with 5G out of this? I was looking at beer ingredient kits online once upon a time and it seemed like the cost to make 5G on most of those "clone kits" was the about same to purchase the actual "real" beer in the store. Am I mistaken? What am I missing here? :?

632pm1funk.jpg

Craig,

Question for you. How much did you end up spending for the ingredients to make this? I am guessing you end up with 5G out of this? I was looking at beer ingredient kits online once upon a time and it seemed like the cost to make 5G on most of those "clone kits" was the about same to purchase the actual "real" beer in the store. Am I mistaken? What am I missing here? :?

Yea, this batch got up there in price. 5 gallons, so roughly two+ cases. Cost from memory as follows:

Pale Malt - $14.36
Dry malt extract - $4.50
Hops - $5.97
Yeast - $6.99
Total - $31.82

Not including propane. I didn't include bottles either since I'll either keg it or clean out used bottles. So I really don't know what a case of this beer costs commercially, so I'd guess it's about 1/2 the cost, but with the time investment it's cheaper to go buy two cases, but that would be no fun.

Thats better than some of the clone recipes I was looking at on the MoreBeer website. A Pliney the Elder extract kit was ~$60 with yeast so that comes out to about $7 a six pack without bottles etc. I joined our local beer coop and can purchase a growler for $7 to $10 depending on the beer and the beer is really, really good. Would love to learn the art of making beer one of these days but I do not need another fermentation hobby! LOL

The yeast I used is already cropped and pitched into another batch. I'll do that for about 5 batches if is stays clean enough, and that brings the cost down quite a bit. If I decide to keep brewing at this rate I'll probably order a 55 lb bag of the malt, which will bring costs down more. If I could ever get around to getting a lauter tun for a 10 gallon batch I'd be doing much better. Figure too that most of my equipment is good for 50 or so batches if I take care of it.

If you can do all grain, it does keep the cost down, though the "time" costs are initially higher.

I'm using this as a cheaper alternative to wine kits, I have more than enough wine aging and want to start approaching two years before bottling like you have been doing. I'll make a batch or two in the Spring, then the same in the Fall. That should keep long term stocks of wine looking good.

Thats better than some of the clone recipes I was looking at on the MoreBeer website. A Pliney the Elder extract kit was ~$60 with yeast so that comes out to about $7 a six pack without bottles etc. I joined our local beer coop and can purchase a growler for $7 to $10 depending on the beer and the beer is really, really good. Would love to learn the art of making beer one of these days but I do not need another fermentation hobby! LOL
The Pliny recipe that Russian River provides has 12.5 oz of hops, which would be about $25 at my local shop. Converting 14+ lbs of grain gives about 10 lbs. of LME, which runs about $36. Unless you're buying in bulk, $60 is a pretty fair price since it uses so many hops and has such a big grain bill.

I've never purchased Pliny before, but I imagine it's much more than $7/6 pack. From the co-op, I'd also expect that a Pliny clone to be closer to the higher end of the price range given the ingredients. Even at $9/growler, you're at $1.69/bottle, which is more than the price from the kit.

Plus, some people just love the hands-on part.

The Dogfish clone recipe from MoreBeer is $51 with yeast. A little cheaper. That comes out to about $6 a six pack just for ingredients. I am just trying to see what it cost to make a really good home brew beer. I realize as you scale up and buy/brew in larger quantities your cost per bottle will come down.

Economies of scale can really help with brewing. 55 lb. bags of grain and 1 lb. bags of hops really drive the cost down. Re-using liquid yeast is great too.

With all-grain (multi-vessel or brew-in-a-bag), you can get a batch of a simple beer (regular-sized grain bill plus 1 to 2 oz. of hops) for around $20, even less if you re-use yeast. Big beers (IIPAs, Barleywines, RIS) will set you back more. It's not a one-size-fits-all cost.

I don't know what ingredients it includes, but that Dogfish clone seems like a good deal (for extract).

Last edited:
1/2 keg of 60 minute IPA is $210 at TW. $8 for a six pack, which is cheap for DFH.

why is wine yeast so much cheaper than beer yeast? And why wouldn't wine yeast for beer? Has any one ever tried it?

Latest posts

Back