Satsuma Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added bentonite at the beginning of the fermentation, added all the additives, then yeast and sealed the fermentor with an air lock. I only checked the Sp Gr a couple of times during fermentation. After the Sp Gr got to below 1.0, transferred to a Secondary.

I'm doing more and more of my "country white" wines this way.

I am beginning to think that citrus wines are very sensitive to oxygen. I opened a bottle of my Ruby Red Grapefruit wine last week. I was really good for a rookie like me. (I need to work on the acidity/sweetness balance). I drank a couple of glasses on the first day, but after a day and a half in the refrig it developed the "nutty" taste on the finish. Most of my wines last 4 to 7 days before they start to degrade. The taste was the same as the Satsuma wine i made last year the old way.

I think I am going to start making all my wines from juices this "new" way. It is my understanding that most of the Kit wines have started recommending this method of primary fermentation.

cxwgfamily.

Update on the satsuma wine. I dumped it yesterday. Nothing went wrong with it, nice and clear, had done some back sweetening, and it tasted OK, but that's it, just OK. Guess I'm just not a fan of it and didn't really want to make room for 30 bottles of OK wine, and feel a little guilty about giving away wine that I wouldn't like to drink. All in all, only a few bucks and a little time wasted. I'm sure I could have started messing with adding other things to it, or make a dessert type wine or something along those lines, just didn't feel like messing with it.

Should turn out fine. I have made wine from orange juice, which is essentially the same thing you are dealing with. Ended up crystal clear (with the help of SuperKleer). Racked onto some dark chocolate after clearing.
What type of yeast did you go with?
Did a little mashing with my punchdown tool to loosen it up a bit, then stuck my drill driven degassing paddle in there and liquefied the must. Initial Brix was 11, boosted that up to 23.3, pH was 3.35, left that alone for now. A little SO2, 5 tsp pectin enzyme, 3 tsp wine tannins, will pitch some yeast tomorrow along with nutrients and see what I can do with this.....

View attachment 32006
Same situation with abundance of satsumas, just picked 3 five gallon buckets. Started a kumquat last month. What yeast do you use for your citrus? We used a cuvee yeast on the Kumquat wine.

I used K1-V1116 on this wine, which is pretty much my go to yeast on fruit wines.
do them have seeds, a ole boy gave me 8 from his dads tree in Florida, but for eating, they was good, 2 days ,, 4 each day, about half the size of what i know as a orange. they might be something else, but the color and size looked the same, they was new to me,
Dawg

do them have seeds, a ole boy gave me 8 from his dads tree in Florida, but for eating, they was good, 2 days ,, 4 each day, about half the size of what i know as a orange. they might be something else, but the color and size looked the same, they was new to me,
Dawg
Nope, no seeds in these. They’re actually some sort of seedless hybrid cross between satsuma and tangerine. This cross had a name on it when I bought it, but it’s been many years.......I cannot recall the name.

I have done a citrus backbone with dandelion wine, ferment basement temp, yeast D47. The finished wine had bitter flavor notes, and lost the citrus aromatics, light yellow color. Sounded like what John had with his 2016 ferment.
Same situation with abundance of satsumas, just picked 3 five gallon buckets. Started a kumquat last month. What yeast do you use for your citrus? We used a cuvee yeast on the Kumquat wine.

I have done a citrus backbone with dandelion wine, ferment basement temp, yeast D47. The finished wine had bitter flavor notes, and lost the citrus aromatics, light yellow color. Sounded like what John had with his 2016 ferment.
After finally tossing the experiment, I decided that the issue was fermenting with the pulp as part of the must. Should I ever do this type of wine again, I'll treat it more like a white wine from grapes than a red wine from grapes, peel the citrus, mash to release the juice, press off of the pulp / skins, and start my fermenting from that point....

Back