Blenders

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie

Reaction score
We all talk about blending wines and have posted what we have done but those posts are scattered all thru the forum. I made this a sticky, post what you have blended.

Last edited:
Here is what I have blended:

Concord/Moscato, 50/50
Concord/Cranberry, welch's, 2 cans concord/1 can cranberry
Concord/cherry, 50/50
Zinfindal/Pomegrante, 6 gal/3 gal
Elderberry/Cherry, 13 1/2# of seconds to 5-64 oz of Ocean Spray Cherry ( 3 g batch)
And last but not least and boy I have not made this for awhile, one of my first wines that I created. Tropical Breeze, 3 gallon batch
6 # honeydew
5 1/2 # cantaloupe
3 # pineapple
2 1/2 # peaches
1 # blackberries

Last edited:
Good idea Julie. I have made many more blends in the recent years but I no longer log what I make at home so this list is limited. Actually I'll be looking at blending 10 big reds here in the next few months.
-Chilean - Thompson Green seedless Orange Mango Blend
-Chilean - Thompson Green Seedless Peach Blend
-Pink Catawba 90% Catawba/5% Fredonia/5%Chambourcin
-Country Apple 2012 Apple/Crab Apple/Plum/Red Raspberry
-Frenzy - Apple/Crab apple/Honey/Dark Maple
-Sammies blend - 75% Catawba/25% Fredonia also with Concord if I didn’t have Fredonia-Crabapple Chardonnay 20/80
-Raspberry/Niagara 20/80
-Tranquility-Crabapple/Raspberry/Marquis 20/20/60
-Plum- Plum/Seyval/Niagara 30/15/55
-Crabapple - Crabapple/seyval 30/70
- California Chardonnay/Peach/Apricot
- Tall Ships (Niagara 80% & Cayuga 20%)
- Cayuga with 20% Niagara blend
- Meghans Vista (Concord 2/3 & Dimond 1/3)
-Sweet Harvest Blend (Niagara/Concord 50/50)
-Mystic Sky (Niagara/Cranberry Blend)

A made a Raspberry Zinfanminer (red zine and guwerztraminer). I had some left over juice so I threw it together. I thought it was a waste until about year 3...turned into something pretty tastey (wouldn't do it again though :) )

Here's some of the blends we did last year:

Andrea's Whine - Niagra 50%, Concord 25%, and Fredonia 25%
A-Do - Catawba 66%, Fredonia 33%
Concord Niagra - 50% of each
Destiny - 50% Catawba, 25% Concord, 25% Fredonia.

I've also done a Elderberry-Blueberry and a couple others.

Last edited:
Apple-Pear - 50%/50%
Blackberry-Cherry - 50%/50%

My two favorite non-grape fruit combos

Here's some of the blends we did last year:

Andrea's Whine - Niagra 50%, Concord 25%, and Fredonia 25%
A-Do - Catawba 66%, Fredonia 25%
Concord Niagra - 50% of each
Destiny - 50% Catawba, 25% Concord, 25% Fredonia.

I've also done a Elderberry-Blueberry and a couple others.

A-Do - Catawba 66%, Fredonia 25% What was the other 9% :)

So when you all blend, do you blend after these are done or are you fermenting both types at once, then rack/blend? or how are you doing it?
Thanks.

So when you all blend, do you blend after these are done or are you fermenting both types at once, then rack/blend? or how are you doing it?
Thanks.

I blend after all is completed. I'll start with various 100ml samples (25-75, 50-50,75-25) then sweeten each to where I believe I want them to be and sample. At this point I'll adjust sweetness and ratios.

2.5 part Reisling,,, 2.0 part Gewurz,,, 1.0 part Sangiovese. Sweeten to taste. "ROSY GERMAN"

2.5 part Reisling,,, 2.0 part Gewurz,,, 1.0 part Sangiovese. Sweeten to taste. "ROSY GERMAN"

And it is dam good!

Wine forum, I blend after each wine is complete and prior to backsweeten, if I am backsweetening.

So you have more than one fermenting/ageing at a time?
What about taking bottles of wine I already have bottled, opening them, doing some blending, them recorking? Or would the air exposure create a problem?

What about taking bottles of wine I already have bottled, opening them, doing some blending, them recorking? Or would the air exposure create a problem?

More than one wine fermenting at a time? I don't know anyone that could do that.

LMAO, one at a time that is. How about 15-20 different varieties fermenting in the basement.

Oh dear Lord, if my husband finds out there are people out there fermeting one at a time, he is gonna be pissed at me!

Taking some bottles isn't a bad idea, I would stick with one bottle at a time.

Well, I only have 3 primaries to start with so I usually only have 1 or 2 going at a time, when they are going. I guess my question was answered then.

Latest posts

Back