Making a spiced apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Al

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All:

New guy here with a couple questions. Made several great wines, all from kits. First time trying from scratch. Have 5 gal of Apple, juice from a local farm thats close to clearing (in carboy about 3 mos) & 3 gal of Raspberry from concentrate. Went to a wine festival & tasted a spiced apple wine that was really good. Tasted like cinnamon & maybe cloves. Question is it too late to take a couple of gal from carboy & try to spice it up?? Should I add ground cinnamon or stix? How long to let sit?? Any help would be appreciated. Also bought some Apple & Raspberry flavoring to enhance the wines, Has anyone used these products?
Thanks in advance for anyone that replies.... Al

No, not at all to late. Use whole spices and if you get nice fresh spices go light, its easier to add more then take out. Leave them in your wine until you like the flavor then remove them or rack off them. Some of the spices I've used include cinnamon, clove, vanilla beans, allspice and nutmeg all have added a nice touch. Also apples & oak (med. toast) go great together and really add a to nice touch that spiced apple wine.
We did use the blueberry flavoring (the stuff for wine & beer) on a beer once - never again. I use juice that I condense on the stove and add to taste.
VC

Nothing really to add here.... I think vcasey nailed that one spot on!!!

You could also get some ideas from Bob's Apple pie wine thread. (search the site)

Welcome to the forum.

Don't add the flavoring . I tried some on my first apple wine and it gave it a metallic taste. I was sure glad that I experimented with a small amout. I then made my own F-pack , added that to my wine and it came out great.I don't mean to tell you what to do but I was very unhappy with the results. I now have a 20 gallon batch of apple bulk aging.
BOB

Vcasey, I may have to try adding some oak to one carboy of my apple. I like experiments!!!

BOB

fivebk said:
Vcasey, I may have to try adding some oak to one carboy of my apple. I like experiments!!!

BOB

Remember when you were growing up and were always told not to play with your food?
I'm still rebelling .........

I put some med. toast oak in my Fall's Bounty Cyser and have been hooked ever since.

smiley36.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley20.gif

BOB

Welcome Lucky Al, and I'll second vcasey - use the whole spice and use fresh.

The only other thing I'll add is since you've got lots and lots of those 1 gallon jugs now, split the 5 gallons into the 1 gallons and add the cinnamon to one, cloves to another, oak to a third, and all three to the fourth gallon, and leave 1 gallon unspiced and unoaked for mixing in case any of the other three gets overly spiced. Then mix & match in bench-taste-trials to your liking.

You could have 5 different wines when done, or you could end up remixing all 5 gallons back together and have just 1 fantastic wine out of the whole bunch.

Those 1 gallon jugs will give you a lot of options AND free up the 5 gallon carboy for the next batch.
smiley4.gif

Mrs. Pelican
(a fan of 1 gallon carboys)

pelican said:
Welcome Lucky Al, and I'll second vcasey - use the whole spice and use fresh.

The only other thing I'll add is since you've got lots and lots of those 1 gallon jugs now, split the 5 gallons into the 1 gallons and add the cinnamon to one, cloves to another, oak to a third, and all three to the fourth gallon, and leave 1 gallon unspiced and unoaked for mixing in case any of the other three gets overly spiced. Then mix & match in bench-taste-trials to your liking.

You could have 5 different wines when done, or you could end up remixing all 5 gallons back together and have just 1 fantastic wine out of the whole bunch.

Those 1 gallon jugs will give you a lot of options AND free up the 5 gallon carboy for the next batch.
smiley4.gif

Mrs. Pelican
(a fan of 1 gallon carboys)

Maybe we should start a 1 gallon club!

Mrs. P I was thinking along the same lines as you are about he wine. All opportunities to experiment and make a better product should be explored!
VC

Latest posts

Back