sour cherry recipe needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would follow one of Northern Wino's recipes for Chokecherry wine. That should work well with the sour cherries also.
From Northern Winos Post
This is a pretty standard recipe that I use.....
I steam extract the juice, but you could use any method of getting out the juice...or use a straining bag.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~CHOKECHERRY WINE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8-10 QUARTS JUICE = 22# STEAMED EXTRACTED CHOKECHERRIES
2 BOTTLES WINEXPERT RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE
7 1/2# to 9# SUGAR [S.G. 1.085]

6 1/2 CAMPDEN TABLETS
3 tsp LIQUID TANNIN
4 tsp ACID BLEND
2 oz AMERICAN OAK CHIPS [TOASTED]
2 VANILLA BEANS

S.G. 1.085 water to 6 1/2 gallons

Next day:
3 tsp PECTIC ENZYME

3 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER
6 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT
LALVIN RC-212 YEAST
Edited by: appleman

how about keeping cherries in straining bag durring primary fermentation?

That is the way I would do it zibby. I take a stirring spoon and stir the bag around in the juice a couple times a day. Unless the compote is really broken down, I would also add some pectic enzyme to help break the skins and pulp down. When you are ready to transfer, just squeeze the bag by hand and let it drain for a few minutes.

Sounds good. I'll start that batch this weekend. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I'll let you know how it tastes.<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /> </v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape><a href="http://www.finevinewines.com/wiz/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif" target="_blank"></v:></v:shape>

You can add raisins instead of the WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate....Many people add ground up raisins for body and viscosity.

Post your recipe and results...we love to learn from each other.

Latest posts

Back