Register Now!

Pick a Wine Kit & Win a Wine Kit Giveaway

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Country Fruit Winemaking > Cherry wine

Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM   #101
Scooter68
Fruit Wine Lover (And Part-time PITA)

Aug 2015
Liked 302 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Terminated Fermentation today on my Tart Cherry batch. SG stopped at 1.008 stayed there for 3 days and nights. Well sealed carboy was not bubbling at all except after I returned testing samples to the carboy then it gave about 1 pip of the bubbler and quit.
Lees weren't too bad even with bentonite dropping so I used my second 1.5 liter container to top off the 3 gallon carboy. I then racked the second container remains into a 1 pint canning jar and a 1/2 pint canning jar used a piece of plastic bag under the standard canning lid to prevent contact with the metal lid. Then placed the 1 pint and 1/2 pint in the fridge. All were treated with 2 1/4 campden tabs for the total 3 gallons 1 and 1/2 pint.

Anyone have any suggestions to help prevent the MLF I'm open to them. The 3 carboy is now in the basement with the temp about 58. Will rack it again in about 1 to 2 weeks if I see significant lees. By my calculations the current ABV is 12.86%

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #102
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 1492 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 921

You're probably just fine at 58F in the basement with properly maintained SO2 levels, especially since you've never introduced and MLB to the equation. If you're just obsessing over it, you can always treat with Lysozyme......

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #103
geek

Sep 2012
Liked 809 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 1554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter68 View Post
Terminated Fermentation today on my Tart Cherry batch. SG stopped at 1.008 stayed there for 3 days and nights. Well sealed carboy was not bubbling at all except after I returned testing samples to the carboy then it gave about 1 pip of the bubbler and quit.
Lees weren't too bad even with bentonite dropping so I used my second 1.5 liter container to top off the 3 gallon carboy. I then racked the second container remains into a 1 pint canning jar and a 1/2 pint canning jar used a piece of plastic bag under the standard canning lid to prevent contact with the metal lid. Then placed the 1 pint and 1/2 pint in the fridge. All were treated with 2 1/4 campden tabs for the total 3 gallons 1 and 1/2 pint.

Anyone have any suggestions to help prevent the MLF I'm open to them. The 3 carboy is now in the basement with the temp about 58. Will rack it again in about 1 to 2 weeks if I see significant lees. By my calculations the current ABV is 12.86%

Mine stopped at barely 1.000 and never moved lower. I used Montrachet.

Don Amado Cellars

Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #104
Scooter68

Aug 2015

This was the second time I've had a batch stop short with this yeast EC-1118* - It could just be stalled but then again it's close enough to finished that I'm OK with stopping now. I will have to watch it though as I don't want an MLF fermentation now. I was careful to only add half the nutrient initially and waited until it dropped tp 1.030 and added the rest then. It dropped so quickly to that point - would rather have added the additional nutrient at about 1.050.

Hate to add sorbate this early on since I would like to age it at least 7-9 months.

Anyone with experience in this realm feel free to chime in now.

*(Other than these 2 incidents the yeast has worked well - both of these were fairly high SG but then this yeast is supposed to be good for up to 18%. Acidity (pH) when measured today was 3.50 so that wasn't off and nutrient level should have been fine.)

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM   #105
geek

Sep 2012
Liked 809 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 1554

Personally, I like adding sorbate early on if I am going to back sweeten so any off flavor or smell from the sorbate can dissipate during bulk aging.

I did add it to this batch before I then added 2.5lbs of tart cherry juice to the wine, plus over 1lb of dark chocolate broken in pieces.

Don Amado Cellars

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #106
Scooter68

Aug 2015

Actually what I've been reading is that the off flavors from Sorbate occur later as the wine ages not early on.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)