Clarifier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrodgerson

Junior
Reaction score
Two simple questions.

If I plan to let the wine sit for 3-4 months- Do I need to use the clarifier?

Also, do I need the potassium sorbate? If so, when would I add it?

Thanks in advance.

The consensus around here is to not use Potassium Sorbate unless you are back-sweetening in which Pot Sorb would prevent refermentation of added sugar.

If you're going to let it sit for a while then maybe just try that first - see what you think - and you can always add the fining additives or filter later.

If you can usually put off doing something in this case for winemaking (aka: waiting) then you might have more options or better results.

You do however want to top up and KMETA to protect the wine from oxidation.

Cheers!
-johann

Sobate only IF you are going to backsweeten and then a few days to a week before you backsweeten.

Clarifing agents... The sooner you use them the sooner you know that your wine is clear BUT time is also a great clarifier. Some Fruit wines even defy the clock and can hold a haze longer than most of us can wait so for some fruit wines you hit it with everything.

That said if it starts to clear on its own soon (week or two) after your first post fermentation racking - wait it out.

I'd always rather add as few chemicals and take as few actions as possible. Everything you add and every time you handle it is just another opportunity for a bacteria or contamination to happen. So sit back and wait or go start another hobby while you wait.

Latest posts

Back