Register Now!

Pick a Wine Kit & Win a Wine Kit Giveaway

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Recipes > Limoncello, take 2

Old 03-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Kraffty

Aug 2012
Liked 721 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 165

This is my second attempt at this magical liquor. My first batch was made with .750ml 103 proof UV vodka and 14 meyer lemons. It was diluted with about 2 cups of 50/50 simple syrup. It tasted good but not close to what you can buy.

This second attempt created a completely different limoncello that really tastes and feels like the bottle of Caravella I bought to compare for citrus and sweetness levels.

For this go-around I used 3 750ml bottles of 95% abv Everclear. I used a potato peeler to take just the zest of 40 lemons (yellow part only as all recipes stress). After a week the lemon peels turned white and would snap in half when you bent them. The difference in the extraction between the different alcohols was amazing. I strained the extract through paper towels then diluted the extract at 1 part alcohol to 2 parts simple syrup (made from 1 part sugar to 2 parts water). Both versions ended up right at 30% abv but this one had a completely different taste. It was smoother right from the beginning. No harsh alcohol flavor and really beautiful color and even the density of color. Iíve stocked them away to mellow a few months more but they really are drinkable already.

I ended up with 7 and a half .750ml bottles. I expected to end up with 9 but didnít account for loss from (Iím guessing here) absorption into the peels, paper towels when filtering and spilling the extract when moving and pouring it around. Still at about $50.00 for the EverClear and some small change worth of sugar - and free lemons from my yard - it works out to less than $7.00 per bottle versus $20.00 for the Caravella bottle. There are lots of recipes out there but I guarantee youíll love this if you get a chance to try it.

Mike
limoncello.jpg   limoncelloFinished.JPG  

People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 459 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 297

Interesting....I am making some extracts, orange and Myer lemons...they have nowhere near the color you have. Flavor yes, color no. Same Everclear...hummm?? We'll see what happens.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
Kraffty

Aug 2012
Liked 721 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 165

@Mismost I know the first version I did was pretty clear and very faint in color, I actually cheated and added some yellow food coloring to that first batch to make it look nicer. The color you see has had absolutely nothing added to it. I wish I had taken a picture of the extract before diluting it, it was so dark and really deep orange, almost red.
Mike

Old 03-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 3601 Times on 2215 Posts
Likes Given: 6210

Wow, Mike! Incredible color on that 'cello. I use a very similar recipe, but mine is a much lighter yellow.

I have a bottle and a half of Everclear - need to get to work.

BROAD RUN CELLARS

Old 03-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
jburtner

Apr 2016
Liked 100 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I do this with Vodka and many many many zested lemons every summer - yes 40 or even 80 and next time will use more. How ever many you purchase - just double it before you think you have enough. No sugar added and keep it in the freezer once you are happy with the extract. It comes out crystal clear and yellow once filtered - flavor is similar to pinesol and it's a powerful "drink". Nothing sweet about it.

Last time I did it I had a bottle that sat for a year and I had not yet strained the zest out so I did that and it was very smooth. The year did it right by me.

Need to do this again and I recommend making extra and letting it sit for a long time...

Drink it as an after dinner digestive ice cold and all at once - not for sipping.

I'll try the everclear but that may be too strong don't want to hurt anyone.

Cheers!
-johann