Problem with timing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VANDOVJV11

Junior
Reaction score
I'm new here but have been making some wine every year for at least 40 years. I should know the answer to this question but I know there are members with a lot more experience then I have.
I started a 10 gal batch of blackberry/blueberry at a starting SG of1.90 3 or 4 days ago. Now I find that I am going to be away for up to two weeks.
I usually put in a carboy at a SG of around 1.30. It is 1.60 now. Would it be best to put it in carboys now leaving extra space or take a chance leaving it in the primary vessel and hope it doesn't drop too low before I get back?

Yes good move for you that will allow expansion is the trapped glass and by you Time.

Rack it over into secondary. The only issue you might see is if you're fermenting on solids; your wine won't be in contact with the fruit pulp as long and will miss out on some of the flavors and body.

But if you go into secondary a little early on a juice fermentation - nothing to worry about.

It's better to go into secondary a day early than a day late.

Latest posts

Back