Tannins - Know when and why to add them.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott Labs fermentation handbook is a good source of information on all kinds of wine products .

http://www.scottlab.com/pdf/ScottLabsHandbook2013.pdf

this is their FAQ on the tannins they carry

"When is the best time to add tannins ? How do I add them ?
Tannins are best added early in the winemaking process. In red wine,
an addition during the fermentation stage integrates tannin into
the wine and offers the greatest opportunity for color stability and
increased mid-palate structure. They can be added at the crusher
or to the tank during the first pump-over, depending on the grape
quality (rotten vs. sound). Additional tannin can be added with each
pump-over. If adding to a white wine, add directly to the grapes at
the crusher or to the tank during a tank mixing.

I am using tannin and enzymes . Will SO2 interfere with my
additions ?

Using all three products together is fine, but timing is important!
High SO2 content can inhibit enzyme activity. Do not add SO2 and
enzymes at the same time. It is okay to add enzymes after the SO2
is adequately dispersed OR to add SO2 after the enzymes are adequately
dispersed. Follow with a tannin addition six to eight hours
later. When enzymes are not being used, add SO2 first, allow to
disperse, then follow with the tannin addition.

Can I use tannins on white juice and wine ?
Yes, a tannin addition in white juice may be beneficial to remove
off-aromas, to improve clarification, to inhibit laccase activity from
Botrytis or rot, or to serve as an anti-oxidant. We recommend using
either Uva’Tan, Uva’Tan Soft, FT Blanc or FT Blanc Soft. Tannins
can also be added later to wine to improve mid-palate structure
or softness.

Why should I use tannins on my “premium ” red grapes ?
Tannins can be used to protect the color and phenolic structure of
your wines. For the easiest and most efficient integration of tannins,
add FT Rouge or FT Rouge Soft at the crusher. If needed, an addition
of Uva’Tan, Uva’Tan Soft or Estate prior to aging can help reinforce
phenolic balance. During long maturation in barrels, Estate will help
prevent excessive oxidation that can result in loss of structure and
freshness. For improved SO2 management add small amounts of
Estate (5-7.5 g/hL) during each racking.

Will tannin additions increase color in low -color grape varieties ?
Tannins do not add color to the must of low color grapes. Recent
research indicates that early addition of tannins such as FT Rouge
allows them to bind up available proteins. This preserves the grapes'
own natural tannins, making them available to bind with the grapes’
anthocyanins and thereby provides increased color stability.

Why not add oak chips ? Aren ’t they a source of accessible tannin ?
Oak chips are a source of ellagic (wood) tannin. The level of tannin
available will differ depending upon the wood source and the treatment
regime. When using oak based products, macromolecules
(lignin, cellulose, hemicellulose, etc.) other than oak will be extracted.
The oak based addition may help mask flavors, provide some oxidative
protection and leave an oak finish, but they will NOT improve
mid-palate structure. By contrast, the combination of wood and proanthocyanidic
tannins in FT Rouge or FT Rouge Soft will help improve
structure and color stability.

What if I did not add enough tannin during the primary
fermentation ?

If more tannin structure and flavor is desired post-fermentation,
make additions with Complex or Estate. Addition is best before barrel
aging when tannins can be incorporated into the wine and when
oxidation and polymerization are slow. Refresh, Riche and Riche
Extra are the best tannins to use prior to bottling (3-6 weeks) when
a bit of oak influence is desired. Any of these tannins can be used
throughout winemaking, depending on the desired effect. Bench
trials are required to determine the best tannin for a particular wine
or style.

Will adding tannins inhibit barrel aging ?
Tannins protect wine from oxidation during barrel aging. The wood
tannins extracted from a new barrel protect the wine from over-oxidation
during the slow process needed for tannin polymerization and
wine development. When using old barrels, indigenous tannin may
have been completely leached out. A small tannin addition of 5-10 g/hL
will act as an anti-oxidant and help protect the wine. Attaining a good
phenolic profile will slow the maturation process and still protect
the wine.

Can tannins help remove undesirable astringency or bitterness ?

Yes. Over-astringency is caused by an imbalance of tannin molecules
or by insufficiently bound tannin complexes. By adding a more
refined, highly polymerized tannin to the wine, the imbalance can be
corrected and the perception of astringency or bitterness reduced.
This frequently improves the perception of fruit.

What if I only want to use pure grape tannin in my wine ?

Uva’Tan (tannins from grape skins and seeds) and Uva’Tan Soft
(tannins from grape skins only) are comprised of 100% grape tannin.
All other tannins are sourced from a combination of grapes,
exotic woods, oak or chestnut."

This, my friends, was an excellent read. Hats off to the two main contributors for sticking in and digging deeper. For newbies like me, it's greatly appreciated.

how much tannin to add?

I've seen an increase in tannin usage, but I've haven't seen anyone making any indication that they were using any specific type of tannin, The majority of the posts that I've seen were adding a large amount of tannin pre-fermentation.

The purpose of adding tannins is to increase the sensory profile of the wine, stabilize the color and add structure and mouthfeel.

Tannins are listed in 3 different categories and perform very differently depending on which type of tannin you add, and at which stage of the wine making process you add them.

I put together an article to further explain tannins, the three categories, and what we can expect from them.

You can read it here:

Tannins

or below:

The purpose of addingtannins is to increase the sensory profile of the wine, stabilize the color andadd structure and mouthfeel.
Specific types of tannins are meant to be added at specific times in the wine making process, these tannins perform differently, adding different characteristics and helping to protect and smooth out the wine.

Tannins are divided into 3 categories:

Sacrificial tannins, Cellaring tannins, and Finishing Tannins:

Sacrificial tannins-They are not meant to add tannin but more to preserve the natural tannin of the grapes.
These are added to the must early in the wine making process they have a Sacrificial effect, they do not to add anything to the wine, but rather to give themselves up as 'sacrificial tannins'.
These tannins combine with proteins and other grape components and precipitate out into the lees. Because these particular tannins are available for those reactions, the natural grape tannins are preserved and are able to combine with water soluble pigments to create optimally stable color.

Cellaring tannins- These tannins are added after the first or second racking (after fermentation), they play an important role in the development of wine throughout the aging period in the cellar. They can help protect against oxidation during the storage period, as well as adding subtle differences of flavor and mouthfeel to wines.

Finishing Tannins- These Tannins are usually added anywhere between 3 weeks before bottling up to the day before bottling. They are obviously used later in wine aging to impart character that may be lacking from the grapes or barrel.Finishing tannins derived from quality French oak can impart real nice notes of coconut and vanilla, some even impart a perception of sweetness, to a finished wine (Tannin Riche - My favorite).

I hardly ever add Sacrificial Tannins, I prefer to add Finishing and Cellaring tannins, for the flavors and mouth feel that they can impart, but also their antioxidant properties. I've added Finishing tannins such as Tannin Riche, it adds the perception of sweetness (slightly, but enough to balance out some acidity),with a very pleasant, light oak and astringency, Cellaring and Finishing tannins can smooth a wines finish.

Before adding tannins to your must or wine, figure out what you want to accomplish with your tannin addition, make sure that the type of tannin you have is suitable for the job.

Tannins are another great tool in our wine making toolbox to help us make better wine, but like any addition, we need to understand what we are adding, and why we are adding it instead of adding it blindly.

Tom

In order to choose the right tannin, i apply a very simple procedure:
1. prepare a solution 25-30% in alcohol and distillated water
2. dissolve your tannin in ratio 10 g/l
3. the solution can be used dosing 0,1 cc in 100 cc glass wine
4. every dose (0,1 or more) is approx 1 g/hl of tannin in wine

I recommend this solution to use fining tannins and you will get suprised as many times some tannins will get your wine worst. Obviously, it will be very easy to combine different tannins as well. This method can do very fine guessing in winemaking quality improvement.

Paolo Pineschi
italian winemaker

A little different question, would someone confirm or correct my assumption that finishing Tannins should be added prior to filtering. Seems like they need 3-6 weeks aging, then filter, then bottle?

A little different question, would someone confirm or correct my assumption that finishing Tannins should be added prior to filtering. Seems like they need 3-6 weeks aging, then filter, then bottle?

It can depend on the type of tannin, but that's a good way to go about it, yes;

Add tannins
Wait 6 weeks
Filter
Bottle

I agree with Manley, it depends by tannins. Some tannins are removed by early filtration and thus need some time to react with colloidal fractions and to become more stable in solution. I normally don't wait 6 weeks for a filtration but normally 5-6 days are enough in a large amount of situations. Some wines and some tannins need more time for sure (young red wines, high reactive short chain seed tannins...). White wines are very dangerous if they are not precisely stabilized against proteins. Clouds are very easy in this case and can happen quickly after bottlement. My suggestion is to wait at least 7-10 days to let any kind of reaction in the container before filtration. Eventualy, any kind of preliminary test is also very advised.

Where to buy tannins

This is an extremely useful thread to a newbie wine (kit) maker. I have read the entire thread but have found little information with standard search engines on where exactly to purchase Scott Labs products (or any othe tannin for that matter) is there a website that offers plenty of these that anyone can recommend? Or are we limited to wha the LHBS has on hand.

Thanks in advance.

What is the best way/process to add tannins, I seem to find mine left on the bottom of the carboy when I rack. Do you dilute them in Wine, Water, Vodka or something else? What is the best process?

What is the best way/process to add tannins, I seem to find mine left on the bottom of the carboy when I rack. Do you dilute them in Wine, Water, Vodka or something else? What is the best process?

No dilution. I just drop them in and stir gently. Note that tannins added while the yeast is active have caused wine volcanos for me a couple of times. I do them once the wine is stabilized and during bulk aging.

I add after fermentation, it really helps in the mouthfeel. I will add prior to fermentation if I am making a wine out of something that is low in tannins and will after as well.

Just want to say thanks to everyone who posts their personal experiences and expertise here. I'm on my 7th kit now and can really tell a difference from my first kit to the one I just bottled using ideas and techniques from the "professionals"

On my last kit, I added tannins in the bulk aging process (very little) and within a week I had much better nose and mouthfeel. (I'm sitting here with a glass now left over from bottling and I can't stop smelling the glass)

I also added both a light toast powder and dark toast chips during bulk aging to develop a more complex flavor profile and you can actually taste/smell slight hints of coconut and vanilla from the powder and richer cocoa and tobacco from the dark roast chips.

I also pitched a more quality yeast on day one and then pitched the provided EC 1118 on day 3 to ensure a completely dry wine. I was surprised at how fruit forward the right yeast provided.

Happy camper here. I was almost ready to give up on kits.

Last edited:
Data overload :( I am a new winemaker and only have made kits. I have limited space so I bottle as instructed by the kit manual (usually about 6 weeks from pitching yeast until bottling). For that reason I follow the instructions to the T and add all sorbate and clarifiers.

I would like to add more body to my wines (take into account I make high end kit, which should be better than the cheap kits).

There's too much info here and now I'm confused. Considering I bottle early, what's the best tannin I can use for reds, when should I add it, and how much?

I already read that generic tannins are mostly useless and don't mind paying more for high quality tannins. Just not sure how much benefit I can get if I don't bulk age.

Thanks!

You'll still get all the benefits if you bottle age. (It is possible you will get some sediment, but I don't think the wine will turn out appreciably differently.)

Personally, I use ~7 or 8 g of FT Tannin Rouge in primary for 6 gallon kits, and 2 to 4 g of Tannin Riche Extra in secondary. (I think one or both of these tannins have new names now, but you should be able to easily cross reference them.)

I've seen an increase in tannin usage, but I've haven't seen anyone making any indication that they were using any specific type of tannin, The majority of the posts that I've seen were adding a large amount of tannin pre-fermentation.

The purpose of adding tannins is to increase the sensory profile of the wine, stabilize the color and add structure and mouthfeel.

Tannins are listed in 3 different categories and perform very differently depending on which type of tannin you add, and at which stage of the wine making process you add them.

I put together an article to further explain tannins, the three categories, and what we can expect from them.

You can read it here:

Tannins

or below:

The purpose of addingtannins is to increase the sensory profile of the wine, stabilize the color andadd structure and mouthfeel.
Specific types of tannins are meant to be added at specific times in the wine making process, these tannins perform differently, adding different characteristics and helping to protect and smooth out the wine.

Tannins are divided into 3 categories:

Sacrificial tannins, Cellaring tannins, and Finishing Tannins:

Sacrificial tannins-They are not meant to add tannin but more to preserve the natural tannin of the grapes.
These are added to the must early in the wine making process they have a Sacrificial effect, they do not to add anything to the wine, but rather to give themselves up as 'sacrificial tannins'.
These tannins combine with proteins and other grape components and precipitate out into the lees. Because these particular tannins are available for those reactions, the natural grape tannins are preserved and are able to combine with water soluble pigments to create optimally stable color.

Cellaring tannins- These tannins are added after the first or second racking (after fermentation), they play an important role in the development of wine throughout the aging period in the cellar. They can help protect against oxidation during the storage period, as well as adding subtle differences of flavor and mouthfeel to wines.

Finishing Tannins- These Tannins are usually added anywhere between 3 weeks before bottling up to the day before bottling. They are obviously used later in wine aging to impart character that may be lacking from the grapes or barrel.Finishing tannins derived from quality French oak can impart real nice notes of coconut and vanilla, some even impart a perception of sweetness, to a finished wine (Tannin Riche - My favorite).

I hardly ever add Sacrificial Tannins, I prefer to add Finishing and Cellaring tannins, for the flavors and mouth feel that they can impart, but also their antioxidant properties. I've added Finishing tannins such as Tannin Riche, it adds the perception of sweetness (slightly, but enough to balance out some acidity),with a very pleasant, light oak and astringency, Cellaring and Finishing tannins can smooth a wines finish.

Before adding tannins to your must or wine, figure out what you want to accomplish with your tannin addition, make sure that the type of tannin you have is suitable for the job.

Tannins are another great tool in our wine making toolbox to help us make better wine, but like any addition, we need to understand what we are adding, and why we are adding it instead of adding it blindly.

Tom
I am making blueberry wine. A batch 23 liters. How much should I use and which one and when?

I grow all my own fruit(10 acres of grapes) and only use "SACRIFICIAL" tannins. Only way I've ever made a living, over 20 yrs experience, but hey that's just my opinion. Do it right from the start, don't fix it later....

Latest posts

Back