Starting my first Dragon Blood, questions will go here...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy to offer advice! :h I'm not sure if you are doing this now, but it can help to have a "lab notebook" of sorts to record everything that you do and try out different things. It definitely helps troubleshoot since you can change one thing at a time and see how you like the product. You can also record your tasting dates to find that "sweet spot" of aging. We have a little notebook where we have the dates for everything we do and all the calculations (helps to find math errors lol)

I might be a bit more OCD in terms of record keeping, but 9+ years of biology research does that to a person hahaha

I've been keeping a notebook just for fun! College chem trained me well. However, I didn't think to leave space for tasting notes at different time. Well put, sir

It sounds like it could be some of the lemon juice. I know for us it gives a little bit of a burn and can have a "different" taste until you figure out what it is.

Only other thing I can think of is if it isn't degassed enough and that is what you are experiencing.

I'll try going easier on the lemon juice next time around. I'm positive it isn't a degassing issue, as it's not the same bitterness as carbonation. Those bottled lemon/lime juices though can have a very strong bitterness. Thanks for the suggestion

-Zintrigue

I've been keeping a notebook just for fun! College chem trained me well. However, I didn't think to leave space for tasting notes at different time. Well put, sir

I have been using Evernote to document all my progress, plans, recipes and tasting notes. Although my tasting notes are not very descriptive ("no longer tastes like jet fuel," etc). But I've got lots of room to add to each note and I can access it on all of my computers, iPad, etc.

I have been using Evernote to document all my progress, plans, recipes and tasting notes. Although my tasting notes are not very descriptive ("no longer tastes like jet fuel," etc). But I've got lots of room to add to each note and I can access it on all of my computers, iPad, etc.

Christ on a bicycle, why didn't I think of this? Me, the person who makes everything in life digital - at the touch of a button. I did not think to do this.

The jet fuel made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that.

-Zintrigue

I have yet to figure out all the digital stuff. I still use a paper daily planner haha. I think its the different colored pens and highlighter to color code that keep me on paper.

LOLOL jet fuel!

Transferred all my notes to Evernote. Feeling good about this. Pictures are a great addition to my note taking process. Thanks, Bodenski!

Bionerd - Hey man, colored pens really make those lab notes extra fancy.

:)

Transferred all my notes to Evernote. Feeling good about this. Pictures are a great addition to my note taking process. Thanks, Bodenski!

You're welcome! (It's nice to know that I've given at least one piece of solid advice on this forum for all that I've received. . .) I have pictures in some of my notes, but not many. I'm trying to get better about embedding them.

Latest posts

Back