What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pitched the yeast for my Apple Raspberry and my Apple Cherry wines. We will see how these test batches go.....

Found that a local garden center just added a home brew section to its inventory, 6 gallon carboys for $31.99, all sorts of beer ingredients available to include hops, grains, DME and LME, yeasts and soon...wine kits. Although the manager couldn't remember the brand of the kits, I saw them listed between $50-$139.
I picked up a 6 gallon carboy and a bottle of Star San for under $50.00

I am about ready to kick a damn laptop across the room...my wife conveniently volunteered me to fix the bosses laptop.....and expected me to have it done before she leaves for work tomorrow morning....no big deal...the POS just blue screened and I cannot repair the start up the conventional way..... grrrrrr, I've been going at it for 4 hrs....these people are getting an invoice for this....did I mention that Windows 7 is a pain in the arse!!!!

I am about ready to kick a damn laptop across the room...my wife conveniently volunteered me to fix the bosses laptop.....and expected me to have it done before she leaves for work tomorrow morning....no big deal...the POS just blue screened and I cannot repair the start up the conventional way..... grrrrrr, I've been going at it for 4 hrs....these people are getting an invoice for this....did I mention that Windows 7 is a pain in the arse!!!!

LOL, I'll stick with XP

I agree Julie, but as an IT Guy (or trying to be a former IT guy) XP isn't supported by Microsoft anymore, while it is very much a pleasure to deal with and work with, most people these days have Windows 7 and Windows 8...blah....they are just windows Vista made to look a bit prettier.....

Recovering. After weeks and weeks of prep, I took a certification exam yesterday to obtain my PMP (project management professional) designation (I passed). Glad that's over with. I'll celebrate tonight by bottling my Belgian Black Ale.

Tom,

We have windows 7 & 8 here at work and my first thought when I seen 7 was vista which I do not like at all. As long as my programs will run on XP I'm keeping it.

Same with Office, Microsoft totally screwed up the newer versions

Thank goodness for a break in wine making for the last couple days; as we have welcomed a new puppy into our home. She is a joy, but the time spent watching/house breaking her makes the time I spend wine making look like a cake walk! Racking and back-sweetening the Tropical Daze variant tomorrow.

Thank goodness for a break in wine making for the last couple days; as we have welcomed a new puppy into our home. She is a joy, but the time spent watching/house breaking her makes the time I spend wine making look like a cake walk! Racking and back-sweetening the Tropical Daze variant tomorrow.

What breed is your puppy? We have a Show Us Your Pets thread in the General Chit Chat, post up a pic!

Finally fixed that laptop...and recovered all of the files. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeew, that was a tough one.

I agree Julie, but as an IT Guy (or trying to be a former IT guy) XP isn't supported by Microsoft anymore, while it is very much a pleasure to deal with and work with, most people these days have Windows 7 and Windows 8...blah....they are just windows Vista made to look a bit prettier.....

Finally fixed that laptop...and recovered all of the files. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeew, that was a tough one.

And that, is why my mom could never convince me to get into the computer field. She'd always tell me i was smart enough for it and not everyone is, and i was always thinking i was smart enough to know thats not what i wanted to do... When i was 14, and already i was the family's go-to guy for computer fixes, i already knew it wasnt the job for me.. Good job gettin it fixed though, i put in enough time to know that thats a great feeling

I am perplexed. I was offered another job with a hefty pay increase and more vacation, but more work/stress. Right now I do okay and am comfortable, but the job is a no brainer and I have little to no stress and a company car. The new job would have no travel, the one I have now allows me to travel (so I can visit winerys on my trip). The job I have now will allow me to work from home from time to time. The new job would require me to be there.

I don't know what to do....

I am perplexed. I was offered another job with a hefty pay increase and more vacation, but more work/stress. Right now I do okay and am comfortable, but the job is a no brainer and I have little to no stress and a company car. The new job would have no travel, the one I have now allows me to travel (so I can visit winerys on my trip). The job I have now will allow me to work from home from time to time. The new job would require me to be there.

I don't know what to do....

I think you already answered your own question. Freedom to travel, making enough money to be happy with life vs. more stress and less freedom. As my husband states time and again, you settle for a job, but you never settle for your life. More money will not make you happier. Unless it's a means to an end and the end is in sight...? I know you have other dreams on the horizon. How soon will those dreams be recognized?

Let me know when you will be passing through my area again, we can sit down and enjoy a glass of wine: ) I look forward to meeting you tête-à-tête.

I might be out in the Twinsburg/Streetsboro area in a week to two. Let me see what I can bottle up.

Awesome! Keep me posted! I don't have anything bottled yet, but I'd be happy to share a bottle of my favorite commercial: )

I think you already answered your own question. Freedom to travel, making enough money to be happy with life vs. more stress and less freedom. As my husband states time and again, you settle for a job, but you never settle for your life. More money will not make you happier. Unless it's a means to an end and the end is in sight...? I know you have other dreams on the horizon. How soon will those dreams be recognized?

I agree with rezod

I like not having to report to my boss (I only talk to him every other week if that) and I have the freedom to go and visit my sites in my company car. But there is no challenge to this job. With the new job, I'd be home every night, have more money to pursue my goals, and I'd be working with former coworkers that I liked and respected.

Then perhaps you need to do a plus/minus chart. Reasons to take the opportunity, reasons not to. Only you can decide what is best for you.

Back