Another benefit of this hobby

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSNET

Junior
Reaction score
Hi
I am new to this sport, but I have discovered a side benefit.

We did up a batch of Cab, racked it to the secondary, and
cleaned up the primary.
Walked past it today and took a wiff. WOW. What a great smell!

Reminds me of all the winerys we visited during the time I was in the Navy, stationed at Vallejo, just south of the Napa valley. Back then,
it was visit and taste everthing they had for free. A loaf of french Bread and a brick of cheese in the car, and we were set for the day.

We are headed to Napa & Sonoma for a week during the first of June. We plan to use the loaf of bread, the brick of cheese, and wines of the countryside extensively.
smiley36.gif
We are definitely looking forward to the smells of the wineries. My basement has some of those smells these days and they always make me smile.
smiley1.gif

admiral,
After reading Vince's Blog on his visit to my home what do you thing my house smells like when I'm fermenting? One room you can not go into because of all the CO2 (lack of O2). LOL

Tepe, while I was reading his post, I kept thinking, "This is not a house, it is a winery masquerading as a house."
smiley36.gif

admiral said:
Tepe, while I was reading his post, I kept thinking, "This is not a house, it is a winery masquerading as a house."
smiley36.gif

I need to make that a quote and put it in my house (WINERY) LOL !!!

Don't overlook the Russian River area. Not nearly as crowded as Napa, and some quality winerys, as well as theKorbel Champagne works.The tour there (used to be great), haven't been there in a number of years.
Also of note ( if it's still there) is the Hop Kiln Winery in the RR area.

Geez , I wish I was going with you!
smiley19.gif

Jim

There are quite a large number clustered around Santa Rosa (Sonoma county/RR area) and some nice ones on up hwy 101 into Mendicino county as well if you have the time.

While we were in Oki, japan (husband USMC) we visited a pineapple winery and mongoose fighting (really looked like he was playing with) a snake. Kind of wierd having a winery & whatever you'd call that fight thing, going on at the same place. Oh, the wine was good though.
I'm in NC and the winery near me (Duplin Wine) is too sweet for me so I haven't bothered to visit their winery. Probably should now that I'm making my own and I've got a better appreciation of all the work that goes into making wine.

Heck, skip the tour and just make a country wine! You'll probably get better tasting wine and then you can really appreciate all the work!

Latest posts

Back