Im learning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
that physics also plays a part in wine making. One of me Welches gallons stopped primary fermentation.

i decided to try my gizmo that will siphon by pumping the ??racking tube?? it doesn't fit into the gallon neck. HMMMM.

OK OK i looked it up. i happen to have a racking cane so i get it out. I sanitize everything. the table cloth--sink-- all r\the items that i intend to use.

the cane is inserted into the gallon which is on the counter top--the tubing is installed. i give it some vacuum and although some wine comes down it doesn't siphon..it took me three tries to realize that the gallon needed to be up higher. now my microwave is part of my wine making tool collection.

I'm learning and having fun too.

Scotty,

Those gallons can be pesky. I find hardly any equipment fits in them, especially the auto-siphon. To get a good easy siphon, I fill the racking tube by running water through it from the faucet after sanitizing the racking cane and siphone tube. Make sure you have a clip on the tube and open it. When the water is going through(I put the water through the cane end first) without very many bubbles, close the clip. Now insert the cane in the elevated gallon. Release the clip now to start the siphon. You can start the siphon in a glass to get the water out if you wish but it is only a few tablespoons so won't add much water. Works great for me!
smiley1.gif

Scotty, the solution is simple. Buy six gallon carboys. That also solves the problem of "oh, I've run out of wine"
smiley36.gif

peterCooper said:
Scotty, the solution is simple. Buy six gallon carboys. That also solves the problem of "oh, I've run out of wine"
smiley36.gif

i have 2-- 6 gallon carboys and 2--3 gallon carboys--im just not going to get to the kit or larger batches till i make plenty of green horn mistakes with these gallon batches.
smiley19.gif

appleman said:
Scotty,

Those gallons can be pesky. I find hardly any equipment fits in them, especially the auto-siphon. To get a good easy siphon, I fill the racking tube by running water through it from the faucet after sanitizing the racking cane and siphone tube. Make sure you have a clip on the tube and open it. When the water is going through(I put the water through the cane end first) without very many bubbles, close the clip. Now insert the cane in the elevated gallon. Release the clip now to start the siphon. You can start the siphon in a glass to get the water out if you wish but it is only a few tablespoons so won't add much water. Works great for me!
smiley1.gif

i have 2 of those clips and never thought of using them. thanks for the tip.
smiley17.gif

scotty said:
peterCooper said:
smiley36.gif

i have 2-- 6 gallon carboys and 2--3 gallon carboys--im just not going to get to the kit or larger batches till i make plenty of green horn mistakes with these gallon batches.
smiley19.gif

i thoughy folks from texas would use 25 gallon carboys
smiley36.gif

I took my auto-siphon apart and the racking cane part which is the inside part fit inside the gallon jugs I have. I then used the water in the hose trick described to get my siphon started.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Never tried the water in the hose trick. I just shovea plastic hose in the gallon carboy, cup my hand around the the opening and blow air into the gallon carboy, the hose fills and away you go. Takes all of two seconds.
smiley2.gif

smurfe said:
I took my auto-siphon apart and the racking cane part which is the inside part fit inside the gallon jugs I have. I then used the water in the hose trick described to get my siphon started.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

i sanitize my lips and pretend I'm 16 years old and ran out of gas
smiley5.gif

i have a separate racking cane so i don't have to dismantle the auto siphon.

Another green horn note. I have 2 auto siphons. I visited 2 shops the day i was in Phillie. I had no idea what the guy gave me at the first shop. At the second shop the fella explained what it was for so i bought it.

Latest posts

Back