RJ Spagnols RJ Spagnols En Primeur Golden Heights Australian Chardonnay RJ Spagnols En Primeur Go

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwatson

Reaction score
RJ Spagnols En Primeur Golden Heights Australian Chardonnay

So far all of my kits have been reds. The advice on this forum has been great and the kit recommendations have been sound. I have started bottling my reds after bulk aging for 6 mos. My wife would like a chardonnay and I was thinking about the En Primeur Chardonnay. Any other recommendations? I do know this kit is highly recommended.

Questions:

1. Any specific pitfalls for whites?
2. Bulk Aging?
3. Filtering required?

Thanks!

Last edited:
1) They only need 3 months bulk aging normally. A few more months of bottle age depending on varietal.

2)Always keep it topped up. Whites are 20X more prone to oxidation than a red.

3) IMHO, always filter a white, it is so much more evident since you can see through it.

Thanks Mike for the help. Do you know the minimum SO2 level for a chardonnay? I know more is required than what is needed for reds. I have a Vinmetrica tester.

What chardonnays have you made?

Last edited:
Here is a decent SO2 Chart

Just remember SO2 levels are based on the pH level so you also need an accurate pH to get the number right.

I have made the Mosti Renaissance Aussie Chardonnay and it was FANTASTIC. Highly recommended. I have the Cellar Craft Showcase Chardonnay resting in the cellar and have opened the first split at about 6 months. It was OK but seemed like it was still not quite ready. This kit came with acacia beans instead of oak. Not sure about the acacia wood at the moment, as I said hope its still just in need of some bottle time. I know the juice is good!

Mike,

I don't have a pH meter, but plan on getting one soon. What is a ballpark pH reading for a white, like your Mosti Chardonnay?

Thanks!

Most of the kit whites I have run a pH on have been 3.2 +/- (1.0) so I would shoot for ~30ppm to be on the safe side of things.

Thanks Mike for the help. Do you know the minimum SO2 level for a chardonnay? I know more is required than what is needed for reds. I have a Vinmetrica tester.

What chardonnays have you made?

Aren't these kits already adjusted for SO2 and such? I was going to try this kit later this month. We've made the selection International Australian Chardonnay for years and love it. I have high hopes for this one :dg

Last edited:
You can't "adjust" for SO2 as its constantly being depleted. You have an initial dose that comes with the kit and is good if you bottle immediately but if you bulk age like many of us do then it will drop over time and needs to be topped up before bottling.

Mike,
I've been trying to follow the conversation. Are you referring to adding metibysulfate (spelling) prior to bottling? I thought you had think do this anytime you aged you wine in a bottle whether it was bulk or bottled. If I plan on bulk aging my EP Amerone for 6th months do I need to add anything other than the recommended amount of sulfate?

Depends. Sometimes you could be just fine with 6 months of bulk aging but you have to have the ability to test accurately for SO2 as well as pH right before you bottle. If you don't then I would hit it with 1/8-1/4 (max) tsp just before bottling.

Once its in the bottle, it's basically sealed and the SO2 levels will drop but only very slowly over time.

FWIW, I don't think SO2 levels deplete all that much during bulk aging. I added the kit dose of k-meta on 3/23/11. On 6/10/11 the SO2 level was 46 ppm. I tested it today and it was 40 ppm. I do keep my wine topped off and is stored in a dark closet...average temperature is 78-80 degrees. My SO2 tester is the Vimetrica model.

That has been my results as well unless the wine goes into my small barrel. Then its down to 10ppm SO2 with only 2 months in the barrel. Carboy aging alone and I have seen the SO2 levels just fine even after 6 months in the carboy. We are talking reds here, not whites.

The wine I tested was RJS Super Tuscan. Very nice taste after 5 mos in carboy.

Mike,

I don't have a pH meter, but plan on getting one soon. What is a ballpark pH reading for a white, like your Mosti Chardonnay?

Thanks!

I have this kit going right now ... ph is bouncing between 2.9 - 3.0

It is now clear ... next going in the mini-fridge for 3-4 weeks to drop out the wine diamonds ... then in a barrel for 2-4 weeks ... then bottling.

Back