Skittle Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did add amylase at the beginning. I used citrus juice instead of acid blend (3.3pH). I did not add tannin. I could not get concentrated grape juice, so I used Welch's white grape juice, 1 1/2 gal.
I only added sugar to 1.095.
The film looked like the last pic from marslaura above, but once fermentation started, it started making yellow froth.

No clearing agent of any kind yet, I usually use 1tsp bentonite during primary, superkleer later if needed, often it is not. Something I learned from reading... ?

I probably just need to be patient with it....give it another week?

Last edited:
I believe I got some old amylase(no expiration date). My skittles wine wouldn't clear, even after superkleer. So I tried re dosing it with amylase and then a week later more superkleer. In the process I racked it into a large carboy so I could dose it together. When I racked it back to the original carboy and jug I had a pint of excess so I decided to drink it. My wife liked it and my daughter liked it but I didn't, so I put a little Green Hawaiian Punch in the bottle and an hour later it was clear. The 3 gal and 1 gal carboys were still very hazy. So I put 4 tbsp of Red Hawaiian Punch in the 1 gallon carboy. Now it is almost clear with a lot of sediment. The 3 gal carboy is still cloudy with no sediment so the punch is definitely clarifying the wine.

ETA:4oz of Hawaiian Punch is clearing the starch from 3 gallons, should be done in 24 hrs.
It's passing the laser test.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Last edited:
Great. You have come up with a new clearing agent. Almost as good as the ancient people getting ready to collect honey and finding some great tasting water below the tree. With pounding heads the next day they say what will we call this? Mead someone says. Arne.

Well I started my 3rd batch of Skittle wine in early May. My youngest daughter (now 35) absolutely loves this stuff. It's like crack to her. Anyway, I found out with my first batch that the waxy film is a pain in the arse and took 3 rackings before I finally got rid of it all. The last two batches I've cooled the liquid after melting all the skittles and the waxy film floats up and solidifies and is easy to remove before starting the wine. The first two batches looked just like the picture above. Nice and clear. This batch was a bit different. I followed the same recipe from the first two batches but this time it took 5 weeks to ferment dry and the red color never went away this time. I use original skittles. Does anyone have any Idea why the ferment took so long this time or why the color did not change from red to clear? I followed the same recipe as the first two batches. It's a bit sweet for me but the flavor turned out fine. My daughter devoured 6 bottles over the 4th weekend OK, she had a little help from her sisters.

Started a 4 gallon batch of skittle wine 2 days ago. Skimmed off more wax this morning and there seems to be a few bubbles going. I used D-47 yeast, 2 packs and added 2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient. SG was 1.120 which is high but hoping it finishes off around 1.020 or 1.030 at most.
Looks like a messy brown color now. Hope it works. Wondering if I should have went to brew store and got 1118 yeast instead

Latest posts

Back