Stuck or Finished?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_rayway

Always busy
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm working on an Orange Creamsicle mead which I used D-47 in. I had planned to try and get it to ferment out with residual sweetness instead of back sweetening.

OG was 1.110. I racked it over to the carboy at 1.036, and again to get it off the lees and vanilla pods about a month later when it was at 1.030.

It is now a month after that and it is still at 1.030. This would make it at about 11.5% with 30 points of residual sweetness (which is great) but I am not sure if it's actually done or not...how am I to tell?

Recipe for 3 Gals (by the time I'm finished):
12 Lbs Honey (multi-floral and sunflower)
2 Tsp Nutrient
3/4 Tsp Energizer
3/4 Tsp bentonite
6 Split, scraped Vanilla beans steeped in the hot water and honey
1 Tsp Lorann Orange Oil
D-47
Water to 16 Litres
Also added during secondary:
zest and juice of 3 oranges
2.5 Tsp orange oil
2 split vanilla beans

Any assistance would be appreciated!
Ray

Well, D47 has an average alcohol tolerance of 14% which means your mead could be done or it might not. I would not be in any hurry with this. If it were me, I'd let it sit a few more months and check it again. If it hasn't moved by then and it is clear and free of yeast, I would then stabilize it and let it sit even longer before bottling.

I agree with Greg. Don't get into too big a hurry with it. Let it sit and make sure it is not going to keep fermenting. If it does, it is much better to have it happen now and not when you get it in the bottle. Arne.

Thanks guys! Definitely better to wait it out than rush into bottle bombs :)

I have tasted it, yes! So far, so good. Why do you ask?

Latest posts

Back